Trabeculectomy anyone?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has had a trabeculectomy, and if you would recommend it.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Now 2wks 4 days after trab, review with consultant earlier today, all good. IOP at 8 (he was aiming for below 10). Next review in 6 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Mick,

I'm so glad your pressure is so low now. How was the operation ? Were you put out for it? How did you get on from then till now?Did they do both eyes at the same time? Are you taking drops of any kind now?What was your pressure before the trab? Sorry about all the questions, but as you can see, I'm quite nervous about having it done.

Thanks

Patricia

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

The operation was fine, done under local with very light sedation. Only right eye done, left was done 2 years ago (an eye surgeon will NEVER do procedures on both eyes at once - if they suggest it walk - no - RUN - away.

The anaesthetic used affects the vision, so you just see a sort of vague milkiness, the surgeon gave me a running commentary, and had nice calm music playing. Immediately after on return to my room I had an eye shield and gauze pad over the eye, the gauze pad was removed before discharge. The op itself was painless, just a bit of light pushing a pulling.

No pain relief needed on discharge, I did take a couple of co-codamol before sleep, but probably didn't really need them.

Following morning my eye was a bit 'gungy', but I had sterile pads and saline to clean it with. Some discomfort, but can't really say it was pain.

2 weeks on, I don't use the shield at night, can shampoo hair (carefully, but I don't have much left anyway!).

As for drops, it was steroid and antibiotic (separate drops) four times a day for 2 weeks (and a couple of days until I saw consultant). Now on them 3 times a day for 2 weeks, then twice a day for 2, then once a day for 2 weeks. No other drops. (I've got three unopened bottles of Xalatan!!!

I must admit I am no stranger to eye surgery - cataracts in both eyes, vitrectomy in right eye, trabeculectomy in both eyes.

It has been a bit of a year for me, 2 x CT scans, colonoscopy, endoscopy, then to round this off a hydrocelectomy (to drain a hydrocele in my scrotum) 5 weeks ago! (delayed my trab by 3 weeks). I did have a general for this, it was emergency surgery!

Pressures before were 15-17 and unstable.

Any more questions, just ask!

Hope this helps.

Mick

• Posted

Wow! You have been through it alright. Thanks so much for all the info.It really helps. Are you in the UK?

Patricia

• Posted

Yes, near Reading.

I should add that all my eye surgery has been private - the NHS initially told me I didn't have Glaucoma. Thanks to Specsavers I got pointed in the right direction and decided that my eyes are too precious.

Mick

• Posted

I hope you are still doing okay Mick, you certainly have been through it.

I am wondering if you can advise me pleaese about how you went about finding a private eye surgeon. My mum's glaucoma is now very bad and I want her to get an operation done quickly, but I have no idea of where to start trying to find someone privately.

• Posted

Hi Hazel,

It was a recommendation from Specsavers, endorsed by my GP.

I also checked him out on the hospital web site where he works privately, and also at the local NHS hospital where is a senior ophthalmic consultant.

I suggest a bit of Googling for the ophthalmic dept at the local hospital, get the names of consultants and then Google them to see where they practice privately.

You may need a GP referral, but some of them will not insist on this if the case is obvious.

Which area are you in?

Mick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.