Trace of blood in urine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am a new member to the forum but I have been a reader for some time. This time I am visiting the website with problems of my own. 

I am a 28 year old male ( 230 lbs, 6"0) and I have been experiencing traces of blood (Erythrocytes aka RBC's) in my urine for 3-4 years now. I have other urinary symptoms such as urgent need to urinate after drinking a couple glasses of water and not being able to completely empty my bladder (self diagnosis on this last one, never clinically found). Why I think I am not voiding completely is because I will go to the washroom right before bed, and when i lay down I get the feeling that there is still some left, or that I have to go again. 

I have had several urinalysis's, blood work, ultra sounds of KUB, cystoscopies and a MRI with contrast on for my liver.  

The only real thing that has ever shown up is a trace of Erythrocytes in Urine. As far as results go, here are my most recent:

Urinalysis:

Appearance:             clear

Specific gravity:          1.005 (range 1.001 - 1.030)

pH:                              5.0 (range 5.0-8.0)

Protein:                       Negative

Glucose:                     Negative

Ketones:                     Negative

Erythrocytes:            0.3 mg/L

Nitrite:                         Negative

Leukocyte Esterase:   Negative

General Chemistry (blood work)

Glucose Random:    5.1 (range 3.6-7.7)

Hemoglobin A1C:    5.2 (range < 6.)

Sodium:                   141 (range 135-145)

Potassium:               4.1 (range 3.5-5.2)

Chloride:                  100 (range 98-108)

Bicarbonate:             29  (range 20-30)

Urea:                        4.6 (range 2.7-8.4)

Creatinine (blood):    98 (range 67-117)

eGFR:                       90

Urine Chemistry:

Alubumin:                      7           

Creatinine (urine):          5.5   (range 3.5-24.5)

Albumin/Creatinine:      1.3   (<2.0)

I realize that some of my values are close to the top end of the ranges, but they always vary and at this point my doctors are not worried. I have been referred to a Urologist who based on his findings does see anything and also the values above are being overseen by a nephrologist who sees no issues. 

My concern is that I have throughout the day will have very dark yellow or orange urine if I am not drinking between one to one point glasses of water per hour. Knowing that I have traces of blood in my urine I always am scared to look at it because I think that I am seeing blood and that the doctors are miss diagnosing me.

I also cannot seem to find any concrete literature relating to GFR, mine on tests has ranged from 70-100. Based on what I've read at my age, GFR <100 and trace of blood in my urine would put me into Stage two of Chronic Kidney Disease. So is it normal for it to fluctuate like this based on how much water I drink throughout the day? Or should i consistently be receiving a value of over 100?

This has been tormenting me for the last two years, I am on anxiety medication because I cant bring myself to believe what I am being told. I also visit the Emergency frequently when I panic, hoping that they doctors there will find something. 

Anyone else dealing with anything similar? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi... Before finishing your text I would ask if you are stressed or dealing with anxiety... And you are... Trust me for the last 2 years Ive been having symptoms of urethral syndrome and have been to 6 doctors they all say it is from stress and that when I decide to let it go the symptoms will pass... Especially the last one who had worked in America and was really informed about ic and all the symptoms in bladder that don't have a medical cause insisted on it being caused by stress.. Especially this time I'm really stressed and having panic attacks living in misery afraid that symptoms won't go away and always be like that and symptoms get worse time to time.. I can't relax and honestly in my therapy I'm at a place that I have to leave behind my sadness from my childhood... It is really hard and I don't believe everything any doctor.. I'm sure that there is something wrong with my urethra and it can't be found or fixed... If you stop obsessing it will leave.. If you know symptoms of urgency are caused by stress and if the blood traces are so low and have done a cysto you have nothing to be afraid... If it was cancer 4years after you wouldnt be here... If cycto is clean then nothing bad could it be they do a biopsy also during the procedure... Go to a therapist medication won't solve it.. Hope we all get well

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. 
  • Posted

I looked at your lab results and I would like to say that my labs were similar to yours. I was extremely anxious. I was at 1.5 creatinine. after extensive research, I stopped taking any and all medications that were in any way hard on the kidneys, including Nsaids however, I did not stop there. I went on a gluten free diet and cut out potassium. I eat only baked salmon, skinless chicken or white fish for protein. I have green beans, carrots, salads and only vegetables that are good for the kidneys. I had a full bowl of blueberries every night and a glass of pineapple juice for three weeks before my next lab test. in three weeks, I went from stage three to stage two. from 1.5 to 1.1 creatinine . This is NOT a death sentence! through proper diet and exercise, we can totally beat this and change our numbers! I believe we can prevent this from EVER reaching critical stages through diet and exercise. I also prayed alot and give all glory to Jesus Christ who heals us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.