trainers after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I was wondering what type & brand of trainers are the best to go into after coming out of the aircast? I am only 3 weeks post surgery so still have a number of weeks to go but wanted to inquire. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I am 6 weeks post op and next week at 6 weeks I am supposed to be able to throw away my surgical boot and wear shoes. As of now I,can't get into anything I own, which is only runners and crocs as that was all my bunion would allow. I have some Velcro sandals but not even them. So unless my foot becomes less swollen in the next week I don't know. My physio suggested runners and I was shown some ugly shoes in a shop today.......so can't help yet but will be able to at so e time. A lot of the ladies in this forum have posted that they could only wear thongs....or flip flops if you live in the northern hemisphere. I think I would be too scared and feel my new foot would be vulnerable. At least we are going into,summer here in Sydney ....
  • Posted

Hello Lisa.

I am 10 months post surgery and enjoying my new foot. It's been a huge success but the recovery journey is a very long and slow process and one which requires a great deal of patience as it cannot be hurried.

As for your question about trainers.

Can I suggest you try on a few pairs until you find a brand which suits your needs.

We're all different and what suits one person may be totally inappropriate for another.

Can I also suggest that when your indoors and able to walk around without the support of the post op shoe/boot ( I think you will have been given one to wear) you should walk around without any footwear on and just wear a pair of thick roomy socks.

I did buy myself a pair of Waldlaufer trainer type shoes in April as I enjoy walking and my hiking boots were not too comfortable. I now am able to wear my hiking booits for countryside walks.

The Waldlaufer's have however, been very useful. They're very comfotable and fit well. I also invested in a pair of Waldlaufer sandals for the summer. I got them in June and have worn them constantly.

So, with this information I hope that you manage to find something to suit you.

I am due to have the bunion on my other foot semoved on 1st October and so the whole process begins all over again for me.

Finally, whatever you do please don't try to force the recovery and don't overdo the walking. I found and wtill find that the foot swellks very easily if I'm on my feet for too long. But I am just about back to normal otherwise.

Take care.

Gillian.

• Posted

So, Gillian, are you saying that your foot still swells at 10 mos. out? Oh, darn.  I'm 3 mos. out and can't wear any normal shoe.  Thanks!
  • Posted

Thank you for all your replies. I am definitely talking it slowly. Currently i don't have any decent trainers (other than vans which don't count) so will be visiting the local runners world once my aircast is off.

Fran, I am in London so the weather is turning cold. I agree that I would probably feel too vulnerable wearing them out soon after coming out of the cast.

Gillian, good luck for 1 October!

• Posted

I have said before that I love the brand called Fit Flops. I live in warm weather so they are totally wonderful, designed by a podiatric surgeon. They are thick, tho there are beautiful styles, quite dressy.  Can't wear any other shoes, except New Balance trainers, which I wear to the gym, but wouldn't wear anywhere else. Joyce
  • Posted

Lisa

I'm a month post surgery and have started in my Uggs, they're a bit snug but the most comfortable for me and the best fit on my still slightly swollen foot!

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I had both my feet done together in July. I got myself a pair of Birkenstock and have not had them off since...!!! I can now fit into my trainers from about 2 weeks ago but as previous replies your feet ot foot does still swell when you do to much. But I live in Jersey and the weather is still warm so I have not tried ny other shoes or boots yet.

Good Luck with your recovery smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.