Training and GH

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with a "mild" hemochromatosis - Ferritin 800 mg/L, slightly increased liver iron but no signs of organ damage. Liver and heart OK. Phlebotomies have started. I've always been a sports fanatic, playing football at a (low!) amateur level and spending lots of time training. 4 months ago, my only symptoms developed over a short period of time: Intense fatigue, headaches, and a strange feeling of dizziness. Nothing more than that, but I had to (or preferred) to stop my rather intense training. I've been looking for advice on whether hard training is good or bad for me. Can/should I take up training when Covid and snowfall allows? I have seen no real information on that. People just say 'Why don't you go for a walk instead? 10000 steps daily...' I know my problem is slight - other people do suffer badly from hemochromatosis and severe complications. But training is really an important part of me.

Anyone who has been in this situation or knows of any information about hemochromatosis and sports?

Aidan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'll modify my question - training would be fun, but is not an option after my second venesection! First one - I felt good, pleasant experience. Second, five days ago - procedure as uncomplicated as the first one, but starting after a few hours my heart rate went high, blood pressure low and nothing seems as remote as trying anything more vigorous than keeping upright. I hope I will get a couple of new red cells before my next venesectio! Most people seem to tolerate them better than this, so I am still an optimist.

Aidan

• Posted

I hope you are starting to feel better now.

To answer your original questions this doesn't change anything when it comes to sport or activities you do.

A lot of people that suffer badly is mostly down to them and their unhealthy lifestyles or due to they have had a lot of damage done even if it is not showing up in organ scans etc.

Did you go with weekly treatments or every two weeks? (I advise people with a number like yours to do every 2 weeks for a bit until you get used to it or see how you feel)

Make sure you are getting enough fluids and if you must take some extra electrolytes.

Look at your diet as well this is something I have seen a big pattern of with active people they tend to consume a lot of carbs and get hit hard when they switch to low carb the recovery results are very good providing they are getting enough fluid/protein/fat

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your interest and info!

I do feel a lot better now and ferritin is going down quickly even with monthly venesections. I think one reason I reacted to initial venesections was that I have (and maybe have always had) something called a hyperkinetic circulation. With a small dose of beta blocker that has improved a lot. I've taken up training again and it seems to work well. Surpringly, in spite of months of rest and the beta blocker, my physical capacity didn't go down much - so I'm enjoying myself again!

Aidan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.