tramadol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have back pain, was given tramadol..!

This has got to be the most effective tablet i have taken for any pain... My back ache is no where near as bad, bad heads dissapear, i feel great.!

Tramadol i would say is addictive, it makes me relaxed (i suffer anxiety and depression) but tramadol makes thing better. I currently trying to quit smoking, in conjuction to using patches i use tramadol also which makes me forget about nicotine!

Please be aware iam not making out that tramadol is great, it is addictive, i believe, i stopped taking this drug a while ago and suffered and after stressing my concerns to my doctor iam still prescribed it.

It is the best pain relief drug i have taken, but will make you very lethargic..and very addictive i believe!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I take sustained release twice a day and have done for a few days now.

I was previously taking the standard 100mg 3 times a day but found that i would have ups and down with my mood.

The sr is just right for me as i am more stable on them.

I suffer from severe anxiety and depression which causes physical symptoms resulting in neuralgia face pain.

I do think more should be done to licence this drug as an anti-depressant.

I have read that if you don`t get required pain relief supplement the drug with paracetamol as this apparently enhances tramadol.

Take care Steve.

• Posted

I agree with the OP, Tramadol is a very effective drug, not so much for pain relief, but due to it's other properties on serotonin and noradrenaline.

As someone who has taken Tramadol for years off and on, I think the risk of addiction and tolerance is fairly low if you keep the dose at < 50mg daily. there's a common misconception that tramadol is comparable to codeine and other true opiate drugs, with a similar drug-dependency risk. this hasn't been the case at all for me, and i can say that tramadol is nothing like true opiate drugs.

tramadol is actually an interesting drug though. the opiate-style pain-relief it gives seems to be very pronounced and effective in opiate-naive people for very short term use, but quickly becomes less effective as an analgesic for chronic pain, with daily usage. increasing the dose in my experience does not improve it.

if you suffer with depression and/or chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs), tramadol can be a miracle drug when used off-label for these illnesses. i went from being unable to hardly move, experiencing extreme lethargy, muscle/joint aches, mental fogginess etc, to being able to exercise daily (running 4km, lifting weights), and basically leading a very active and productive life on tramadol without ever needing to increase the dose over 50mg once daily.

however gp's will not normally prescribe it for off-label uses like this, due to other drugs being available and the fear of tolerance and dependency. even though these risks are minimal in patients properly supervised with no history of addiction or drug abuse.

it's not all good though. there are some significant risks and side effects with tramadol. even at low doses (50-100mg). rapid and severe weight loss is one problem which is a particular concern for people already underweight or who don't eat properly, since tramadol suppresses appetite and/or seems to speed up metabolism. another problem is insomnia and disrupted sleep cycles, which can develop in people with no history of insomnia. this can lead to stress, anxiety and cognitive impairment over time.

i think perhaps these side effects (and there's a very long list of other possible side effects besides these two i've mentioned and experienced myself) is what puts gp's off using tramadol for off-label uses.

50mg="" daily.="" there's="" a="" common="" misconception="" that="" tramadol="" is="" comparable="" to="" codeine="" and="" other="" true="" opiate="" drugs,="" with="" a="" similar="" drug-dependency="" risk.="" this="" hasn't="" been="" the="" case="" at="" all="" for="" me,="" and="" i="" can="" say="" that="" tramadol="" is="" nothing="" like="" true="" opiate="" drugs.="" tramadol="" is="" actually="" an="" interesting="" drug="" though.="" the="" opiate-style="" pain-relief="" it="" gives="" seems="" to="" be="" very="" pronounced="" and="" effective="" in="" opiate-naive="" people="" for="" very="" short="" term="" use,="" but="" quickly="" becomes="" less="" effective="" as="" an="" analgesic="" for="" chronic="" pain,="" with="" daily="" usage.="" increasing="" the="" dose="" in="" my="" experience="" does="" not="" improve="" it.="" if="" you="" suffer="" with="" depression="" and/or="" chronic="" fatigue="" syndrome="" (cfs),="" tramadol="" can="" be="" a="" miracle="" drug="" when="" used="" off-label="" for="" these="" illnesses.="" i="" went="" from="" being="" unable="" to="" hardly="" move,="" experiencing="" extreme="" lethargy,="" muscle/joint="" aches,="" mental="" fogginess="" etc,="" to="" being="" able="" to="" exercise="" daily="" (running="" 4km,="" lifting="" weights),="" and="" basically="" leading="" a="" very="" active="" and="" productive="" life="" on="" tramadol="" without="" ever="" needing="" to="" increase="" the="" dose="" over="" 50mg="" once="" daily.="" however="" gp's="" will="" not="" normally="" prescribe="" it="" for="" off-label="" uses="" like="" this,="" due="" to="" other="" drugs="" being="" available="" and="" the="" fear="" of="" tolerance="" and="" dependency.="" even="" though="" these="" risks="" are="" minimal="" in="" patients="" properly="" supervised="" with="" no="" history="" of="" addiction="" or="" drug="" abuse.="" it's="" not="" all="" good="" though.="" there="" are="" some="" significant="" risks="" and="" side="" effects="" with="" tramadol.="" even="" at="" low="" doses="" (50-100mg).="" rapid="" and="" severe="" weight="" loss="" is="" one="" problem="" which="" is="" a="" particular="" concern="" for="" people="" already="" underweight="" or="" who="" don't="" eat="" properly,="" since="" tramadol="" suppresses="" appetite="" and/or="" seems="" to="" speed="" up="" metabolism.="" another="" problem="" is="" insomnia="" and="" disrupted="" sleep="" cycles,="" which="" can="" develop="" in="" people="" with="" no="" history="" of="" insomnia.="" this="" can="" lead="" to="" stress,="" anxiety="" and="" cognitive="" impairment="" over="" time.="" i="" think="" perhaps="" these="" side="" effects="" (and="" there's="" a="" very="" long="" list="" of="" other="" possible="" side="" effects="" besides="" these="" two="" i've="" mentioned="" and="" experienced="" myself)="" is="" what="" puts="" gp's="" off="" using="" tramadol="" for="" off-label="" uses.="">

tramadol is actually an interesting drug though. the opiate-style pain-relief it gives seems to be very pronounced and effective in opiate-naive people for very short term use, but quickly becomes less effective as an analgesic for chronic pain, with daily usage. increasing the dose in my experience does not improve it.

if you suffer with depression and/or chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs), tramadol can be a miracle drug when used off-label for these illnesses. i went from being unable to hardly move, experiencing extreme lethargy, muscle/joint aches, mental fogginess etc, to being able to exercise daily (running 4km, lifting weights), and basically leading a very active and productive life on tramadol without ever needing to increase the dose over 50mg once daily.

however gp's will not normally prescribe it for off-label uses like this, due to other drugs being available and the fear of tolerance and dependency. even though these risks are minimal in patients properly supervised with no history of addiction or drug abuse.

it's not all good though. there are some significant risks and side effects with tramadol. even at low doses (50-100mg). rapid and severe weight loss is one problem which is a particular concern for people already underweight or who don't eat properly, since tramadol suppresses appetite and/or seems to speed up metabolism. another problem is insomnia and disrupted sleep cycles, which can develop in people with no history of insomnia. this can lead to stress, anxiety and cognitive impairment over time.

i think perhaps these side effects (and there's a very long list of other possible side effects besides these two i've mentioned and experienced myself) is what puts gp's off using tramadol for off-label uses.

>

• Posted

I started taking tramadol for my ostio arthritis to ease my discomfort.

I was by accident that I found that it was very beneficial to my long term anxiety and discomfort problems.

I have been given may of the usual antidepressants over the years and most of them were not effective or made me very unwell .

The tramadol definitely helps my anxiety and enables me to lead a normal life.

I have not discussed this with my GP as I think he would not believe me .

I have slowly stopped using the medication on several occasions to try and verify the attributes of the tramadol.

My conclusion is that it definitely helps and I am better when I take a regular daily dose.

The only side effects I have are that it tends to make me constipated but this can be resolved by a correction in my diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.