TRAMADOL ADDICTION DIFFERENTCOUNTRIES

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm in uk trying to stop taking Tramadol .wondered how wide spread this problem is. Would love to hear from people from other countries to get an insight the scale of this problem.

5 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Please help me , I'm 44 live in the uk and I've been addicted to Tramadol for about 4 years I take about 20 50mg per day ! To say that's a lot is an understatement, if I run out I lie to different doctors and ask other users for some if there's , it's horrendous, I've not had any for 3 days and I'm in hell , I can't sleep , twitching , head aches , my muscles are in spasm , I'm literally sat here sobbing out of tiredness and desperation and needing the pills , I don't know what to do I'm in 2 minds to go to the docs and get them or tell the truth , I'm petrified the doctor won't give me any thing if I tell the truth , please help
    • Posted

I was takjng 15-20 a day for 2 yrs. Before that I was taking it kinda normally but increasing amt lowly. It's a tricky drug. Not only are there withdrawls fr an synthetic opiate but also antidepressant withdrawls. Tramadol increases Seratonin an norepinephrine in the brain. That's where the low mood an no energy comes fr. I had to go to a detox facility here in Tx. USA. It was 1,800$ for 5 days. My Mom paid for it. (Humiliation!) But she along with my family (after I told truth about my addiction)wanted me to get well. So I went cold turkey in detox. I was given Klonapin for anxiety an restlessness an restless legs. Also anti-diaherra med. An anti-nausea med. I never really got sick stomach wise. The restlessness was the worse an at night. If you can go to your Dr an explain that you need help with withdrawls from Tramadol an that you feel very sick an extremely restless (tell about the legs at night an no sleep) maybe he will help an give you a wk or 2 worth of Klonapin or anti-anxiety med to get u thru worse part an at least be able to get sleep! Drink lots of water an electrolytes.. Vit D an Magnesium tabs. B-12 for energy. There's really no way of getting out of withdrawls. There going to happen but if you had help it would make it a little easier. Ibuprofen an Tylenol can help with flu like symptoms. It will prob start letting up in about another 3-4 days. But watch out for depression. Iv been battling low mood since Nov of 2014. Im now fixing to try my 4th antidepressant. Prozac. If you could talk to someone about all this or go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting it would help. Also hot baths with epsom salts help. Someone said real tight socks that go all way over knees helped. Some say vicks on bottom of feet with socks (?). Everyones diff. Exercise to. Just try walking a little at a time. Caffeine might make anxiety worse. An DONT take Benadryl to get sleepy cause it gets worse, the restlessness. Goodluck an praying for u. Dont give up your almost thru the worse of physical symptoms.

• Posted

Lisa,

I think you need to 'come clean' with a doctor - pick one you really trust.

I know what these things are like, I only had them for about a week, and then just 4 per day following a hip replacement.  I was getting withdrawl symptoms about 30 mins before each dose was due.  Anyone who has not experienced it just cannot imagine what it is like, but for you on so many, this must be truly awful.

I was lucky, because of the small amount I was taking, I was able to do cold turkey (and yes, it's awful) and flushed them away.

Best Wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Lisa. All of symptoms you have described when you stopped taking tramadol sound very familar to me, it's truly a very horrible experience. Especially the restless legs and lack of sleep. Not had any tablets for six weeks and feel a lot better, but stopping cold turkey is not for everyone, it's hard. I was taking prescribed dose but still had all on stopping.the amount you are on is a very large dose and I urge you to seek medical advice,tell the truth to your doctor you need help. They will understand, and they are the ones who hand this nasty drug out like sweets so the least they can do is give you some help.what is your situation now.. Are you still off them. 
  • Posted

in the US, tramadol easy to get though now it is DEA regulated still easier than other narcotics....I heard a story on radio the other day that docotr was complaining that 15 years ago doctors were accused on undertreating pain...andignoring pain as the "fifth vital sign" and now they are afraid to write any scripts...whcih si why until last year tramadol was givne out like water...so i suspect a high addiction rate...no one knew and even now many dont believe how addictive it is and how painful it is to come off.....of course now in US we have people who cant get their prescriptions filled so they switch to illegal drugs like heroin.... I heard 70% of heroin users started with precriptin meds....but they may not have been prescribed them....i dont know....but doctors are slamming the door on tramadol now too...as well they should...i think it is a horrible drug and such a horrible long withdrawal...vicodin is bad but over quick
    • Posted

Hi melissa thanks for reply. You make some good points about switch to harder drugs. And you can only get tramadol through your doctor in UK ,but I was only taking prescribed dose and still had terrible withdrawal.l don't think.they realise how addictive this drug is.
    • Posted

Any drug that is strong enough to kill pain is going to be addictive. There should be an info sheet inside each prescribed packet.  If you are taking a prescribed drug and it does not work, a patient should always go back their doctor, who can then prescribe a more effective drug (not necessarily Tramadol) thereby breaking the "addiction" to one particular drug.  Hopefully now it is under stricter control in the US the same will happen.  It is very easy to self medicate. But it is still up to the individual to be wise
  • Posted

Hi guys I went to my doc and told her the truth , I can't lie anymore about this drug , when I said I took 20 that was minimum I couldn't stop eating them , anyway she's given me a script for 1 week only then I've got to go back but having a few for me is better than none , I feel like I've turned a corner I just hope and prey I can stay strong, I'll keep u all updated xx
    • Posted

That's awesome you came clean! Don't you feel better for doing it. Some wt lifted! You can get off. Ask for anything that will make it easier for uou. I know alot of people who tried cold turkey without any "helper" meds like anti-anxiety med etc... an couldn't handle withdrawls an restarted it just to end the torture. I think getting helper meds increases the odds of getting off! It did for me! Goodluck
    • Posted

Well done,that is a giant step for you on your way to kicking it.

Keep strong, and come back here for help when you need it - we're all here for you.

Oddly, I'm going into hospital for a hip replacement operation today, when I know I will be given Tramadol, but I will be stopping them as soon as I can this time.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Dear Lisa

By “fessing” up, you already have turned the corner.  There are going to be times when you feel as if the whole world is going to topple on top of you, but now you have taken that first step, it won’t be so bad.  Stay strong, remember, your doctor is always there for you.  They are non-judgemental, as are the people on here, so don’t feel as if you are on your own x

• Posted

Hello I'm also addicted to Tramadol. Been on it for.....16 years! :-( have NEVER told ANYONE that! You are the 1st to know.

I'm in the:

U.S.A.

City/State:

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

SO YOU ARE RIGHT IT'S ALLLLL OVER THE WORLD! That is so sad & a awful epidemic! :-(

• Posted

If you are determined to come off them, lower your does in stages.  There is over here, in the UK so should imagine the same in the US, a little doo-dad that you get from pharmacies that cuts up pills cleanly; instead of turning them into crumbs). If you lower your dosage say by a quarter tab, leave it for a couple or 3 weeks, before reducing again. It is long winded, but by reducing this way your brain is not going to have a temper tantrum.  If you go cold turkey, you will do more harm than good and there is always the good chance of you going back on them again.  You have to want to come off them, and then you have to be strong-willed.  Make sure you have a good group of friends and family around you for support, drink plenty of fluids as this will help flush the toxins out of your system.  There will be times when you feel like hell, so keep occupied, on the down days do things that you enjoy; that are mind engaging. Listen to music through earphones, that will deaden that horrible voice in your head that keeps making you want to give up!!  I wish you well.  It can be done.
    • Posted

My doc put me on it after getting off oxycontin for cervical disc issues. Then doc closed his practice, retired. So I started ordering online, 5 years now. Never took more than 3 of 50 MG a day. Now told I can't get online anymore. So afraid of these really bad withdrawal symptoms. Gradually worked down to 1 a day but so so sick. Wish I could just have 10 more to keep weaning.
    • Posted

If you are suffering really bad, go sideways.  If you are in genuine pain there are many others painkillers on the market.  The really powerful ones will always be opiates, so try and avoid them.  By not being able to get them online is a good thing. It has made you realise you need to stop. But by the sounds of things you are doing just fine. Drink plenty of water, have the odd expresso to rid your brain out of its fuzziness, keep busy, try doing something that engages your brain that you enjoy doing and then just when you think you cant do it anymore, stick at it.  All you are doing is re-educating your brain, you are the one in charge. Don't give up. Do physical exercises so that by bedtime you are ready to sleep, drink (herbal) teas wthout caffeine, in the evening drink the ones that relax you/ helps aid sleeping.  You will get there.  Everyday is a milestone, that you have passed, pat yourself on the back.  Only you know how far you have really progressed, so congratulate yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your encouragement. Worst part is feeling like jumping out of my skin when I try to go to sleep. However, am positive I can get thru this, especially with encouragement. Thanks, once again!
    • Posted

You are very welcome.  I wish you all the very best. So long as you realise you are not alone you will succeed. If you want to talk privately send a message through the box at the top of the page. x
    • Posted

Hello how are you doing??? I have been wondering how you are?? Hopefully it is good news!? :°wink your friend, MOLLY (molinda)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.