Tramadol and Hallucinations

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all I have been given a combination of Amytriptline and Tramadol for severe back pain, which I only take at night as i have to keep a clear head for work despite the agony. Anyway the last few nights i have woken and have been having hallucinations. The first time it was as if the whole room was covered in bright blue spots. Then last night as it was getting light there was scribblings all over the wall and other things. I know these are not nightmares as i have been fully conscious. I probably sound crazy but has anyone every had any adverse affects from either of these pills. Its a shame as tramadol is actually helping with the pain.

thankyou

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds to me that you are getting a touch of the awake whilst asleep syndrom.

You know you're awake but things don't make sense where as you're realy dreaming that you aren't dreaming...a bit complicated ain't it.

I've had it a few times.

I'm also on Amitriptyline and Tramadol, upto 400 mg Tramadol per day with 10mg Amitriptyline at night and over the course of 3 or more years haven't realy suffered any ill effects, the above happening when I first started and then only a few times.

People say that Tramadol is highly addictive but  if I have a pain free period (rarely) I stop taking them with no withdrawal effects......provided I discount the return of neuralgic pain caused by shingles and/or PHN.

I guess some people are more susceptable than others or maybe I'm just lucky.

My advice is talk it over with your GP, weigh up the pro's and con's, and don't worry overmuch at this stage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.