Tramadol & Co-Codamol withdrawal advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey, i was hoping too get some advice! I have been on 8 soluble co-codamol tablets (30/500) for just over a year, i was prescribed them by my GP for chronic back and kidney pain, 6 months ago i went back too the gp as the co-codamol didn't seem too be working as well (they never took the pain away just made it bearable) i guess i had built up a tolerance too them, he prescribed me tramadol too take along side the co-codamol & the difference was amazing compared too where i had been before although i have too take an anti sickness alongside as they make me nauseous apart from that no side effects and a little nausea is a fair price for me to pay for adequate pain relief in my opinion! I know on the box of co-codamol it says not too take for more than 3 days unless advised for 3 days as can cause addiction apart from thst and the fact it was prescribed for long term pain releif i didnt really question addiction etc and i wasnt aware tramadol was addictive atall (i should have done some research) but as that was also prescribed for long term pain management also i didnt really question it was just happy too have something that worked and with having 3 young very active children the tablets enabled me too do so much more than just watch i can actually join in!! But i now have a problem! I have suffered from crohns disease for years but for the last few years its been stable - recently i have had a few flare ups the worst ive ever had and was hospitalized on one occassion, my gasrro doctor came too see me and was furious with my GP for prescribing tramadol and co-codamol as it can cause a number of gastro problems as well as constipation (i had a bleed in my stomach & severe constipation which in turn was aggravating my crohns) he blamed my condition completely on the pain tablets and said I must stop taking them & find an alternative pain management. So I stopped taking them and two days later the pain had come back and I was bed ridden with sickness and diarrea sweats the lot my mum came too take care of my kids and said she didn't think it was a bug (which I had assumed) and she thought I was withdrawing from the pain meds I wasn't convinced as I was thinking surely to god I would have been warned about this by my gastro/gp before I was told to stop, plus I know people who have taken same pain meds and never suffered when they stopped but mum said she had seen things on the internet about addiction too tramadol and cocodamol and she thought I should take a dose too see if I felt better as she was worried because "cold turkey" can be dangerous so I took 2 of each tabs and felt fine within the hour! So its obvious I'm addicted/depended too these pain meds! Ivjust couldn't believe that I hadn't been warned or spoken too by my GP about the addiction side of it and I wish I wasn't so quick to trust and researched the meds before taking! I need too stop taking them because of my crohns but I cant just stop as I'm too ill too look after my children if I do! But the more I take them the worse effect it is having on my crohns! (I'm really nervous about going too my doctor and admitting that I'm dependant on these drugs, I'm worried he will report me to the social services as being a single mother with a drug addiction) so I really need some advice from some one on how too come off these tablets without causing myself too many ill effects (not silly enough too think I won't suffer any). Sorry for the long long lost! Hoping too hear from somebody soon 😁 Bx

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Beth, i do not have an answer for you I am study this med before taking it . My GP wants me to switch from oxycodone that has low side effects to this med . it is kind of scarry . hope you do not mind if i follow .
    • Posted

Personally i thought it was a great pain killer for me.. I never got the 'high' feeling that alot of people seem too get. It really helped with the chronic. Unfortunately they are no good for irratable bowel disease which i didnt know before taking them so i know need too stop.if it wasnt for my crohns disease i would deffinitely keep taking them, but every one is different and what works for me might not work for you. I think research is deffinitely good, i wish i had researched before taking! They are very addictive & the withdrawals are harsh i went to my GP yesterday and he said the withdrawals mimic that of heroin withdrawals and offeted me methedone to help me stop taking then! I dont want to swap one dependancy for another so i said no and im goimg too try and taper. I know people who havent got addicted to these meds but as i am addicted i will say i think they are a very good pain killer and i would keep taking them for my pain if i could they are very addictive and that is something to be aware of! I just hope i am able to find some pain meds that do the same job as these ones i really dont want too go back to a limited life because of pain i want to be the mum who can join in play time with my kids not jus watch! I dont actually know what oxycodone is? But why does yr dr want to swap you to co-codamol/tramadol especially if oxycodone have less side effects if you dont mind me asking asking? Sorry about the long post lol. Take care 😊
    • Posted

I'd like to chime in and respond to that last question. Oxycodone, and similar drugs, have gotten a bad reputation. Careful management of opiate therapy is necessary, yet too often not done. It is too often left in the hands of patients with no knowledge of what they are getting into, or simply don't have the disipline to manage it themselves. Which brings me to what I was originally going to post...

About "addiction"....

Some conditions require long term, and even lifetime, use of opiates. One could say that these patients are addicted, and one would be right. But with careful usage many people could manage their addiction so that there are no problems. I had access to all the hydrocodone I could possibly take, and then some, for two years. I was prescribed 10mg tablets X 200 @ month. That's about 60mg @ day. (No, I did not take them all.) During that time, the tolerance I built up required less than an extra 5mg per dose. I suffered no withdrawal symptoms when I quit, but I did miss having it.

So, it can be done. I considered myself an addict, if only a "low grade" one, but one who was "managing" their addiction.  But people need to know, going in, that they are going up against a potential monster of their own creation. Don't give it any more teeth than you have to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.