Tramadol for depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anybody used tramadol for depression? I started taking it for back pain and found that it made me feel "normal" again. I am able to relax and enjoy my kids and life, and I can get out of bed without pain. Of course, after a few years I am needing a higher dose, but can still manage. I worry a lot about what others think. ...addiction... Am I addict just justifying my drug? I also have severe withdrawal without it. I fret over not getting a new scripts because of that. I have thought of going on an SSRI instead, but would need something for pain. One pill seems better than 2. I don't have bad side effects from it. Basically, everyone in the USA thinks it is bad because of the opioid crisis. I would like reading others' thoughts.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Tramadol acts as an SSRI, like Prozac or Paxil. This could account for your effects. But you would be better off on a non-opioid SSRI.
    • Posted

Hence the question. I don't want to use the SSRI because of the side effects. I would love to go back to my relaxed, happy self without medication. I also just had a hysterectomy which I think might have greatly helped my back pain. I am too afraid of withdrawal to find out. Interestingly, I have had lots of narcotics readily available due to this surgery. They run out, and I could care less. I have no need or desire to have them.

• Posted

I hate to tell you that using it as other than prescribed is a really bad idea. I’ve been Tramadol free for a few months now & I quit almost cold turkey. Believe me when I tell you that I know exactly how you feel when taking Tramadol. It is very addictive & you should ONLY use it as prescribed for pain. You’ve apparently already felt the effects of running out. My suggestion to you is to go to your doctor & tell him/her how these pills are making you feel. Great, I know! Get help getting off of them. I thought I needed them for severe knee pain, but I actually realized that I’m in a lot less pain being off of them. The “opiate” part of this med messes with your pain receptors. I do realize that chronic pain is real, and I still deal with it in a daily basis. It will get harder getting a new prescription after a while because you will need more, then you will find yourself running out of them days before your next prescription can be filled. Those of us who were addicted to this med will all tell you the same thing. There are other ways to deal with pain & all the mental stuff. I would honestly tell you that, yes, you are addicted. It’s never too late to get help. So sorry for the pain you’re dealing with. I feel it, too!

• Posted

I should have rephrased the question to say has anyone had it prescribed as an antidepressant as an off label use. I told my PCP about the antidepressant effects.

I had a rough hysterectomy 7 weeks ago. I wanted to die. I took pain meds for pain and they helped me mentally get through the days of misery and used them for mild pain. Now, I am out of true narcotics and doing just fine. I haven't needed them. Definitely used the tram too much and enjoyed feeling good even with the pain. I now have enough for 1 a day until new script. I am hoping not to "need" them after that. Quite frankly, if the doc quit prescribing them, and I didn't have any withdrawls, I would be fine. The withdrawal terrifies me. I think the hyst helped my back. I am hoping this "taper" will allow me to stop it to find out. I so wish I was one of those people who have no side effects from stopping. I don't like living in fear of withdrawal. Based on this experience, I don't think I will ever try SSRIs.

• Posted

Hi. 

I started taking Tramadol 18 months ago after a back injury I got after being in an RTA. Like you when I first started taking it I found it really took the edge off life not just the pain. I ran out of my prescription 2 days before Christmas Eve and as my GP practice was closed over Christmas (here in the UK we need to get a prescription from a GP) I didn’t have time to get a repeat script issued. Anyway since Christmas Day I found myself withdrawing going “cold turkey” off of this drug and it’s skmething I wouldn’t recommend. I’ve felt like I’ve literally been dying my bones ached, I’ve had a runny nose and agitation but the worst was the restless legs and pins and needles I’ve felt all over my body meaning I didn’t sleep for the first 4 nights. I haven’t had Tramadol in 12 days and I plan never to again and when my GP opens again tomorrow I’m going to call and ask them to remove Tramadol from my repeat prescription sheet. Personally I can see why GP’s in the UK will only prescribe this drug in the most serious of pain cases as this isn’t something I’d want anyone to get addicted to and that’s what I had an addiction as the meer thought of running out of my prescription and the flu like symptoms that came on used to have me calling my GP to ensure my script was refilled. It may also be my imagination but since I’ve been off the Tramadol I’ve found the combination of Naproxen and Ibuprofen has actually meant my pain has improved using only these 2 drugs. My sister who is a nurse actually told me the reason for this is because some of the pain I would feel whilst on Tramadol may have been attributed to your bodies need for it i.e if I skipped a couple of doses of the trammers during the day then by evening my bones would ache as my body has started to withdraw so that was the pain I felt not the initial spinal pain. To coin a phrase we use here in a Scotland when heroin addicts are withdrawing from that I was literally “rattling like a junkie” meaning I was in pain because of that. I’d steer clear and ask your Doctor about other options rather than Tramadol. 

• Posted

Thanks for your affirmation. I basically said the same thing. I’ve been Tramadol free for a few months now & since I’ve been off I haven’t been in as much pain as I thought I was when taking the Trams. The cold turkey withdrawals took me 4 weeks to get totally over it but I feel much better now... physically & mentally. I did go to my doctor to get help & he said that coming off Trams cold turkey is like coming off of heroin. I’ll never go back to taking them again. Kudos to you for deciding to stay off of them. I promise the worse of your withdrawals will be over.

• Posted

It’s so good to know someone else feels like I do about the pain issue, it had me questioning if the pain was even that bad after the accident to have justified the Tramadol in the first place but it definitely was at that time.  Thank you for sharing that it will get better as mentally I felt in a fog taking the tabs but have noticed my head feels a lot clearer and also my memory has improved so I look forward to getting back to normal. I’m hindsight I’m glad I did this over Xmas a period where my GP was closed and I couldn’t access anymore tablets as otherwise the way I felt doing cold turkey I knew I’d have been calling in for a repeat and just fuelleing my own addiction still. 
    • Posted

I have heard that about long term use. I commend anyone who quits cold turkey. It would be terrible. I am not that tough. I don't think I hurt that much anymore...of course I have been on sick leave. That may change when I start working again.

• Posted

I use tramadol for an ongoing pain condition and will probably use it for life. I also notice a small antidepressant effect or maybe just feel better when pain is gone. I have never had good results from ssri's, the tramadol has none of the side effects of the ssri's. Don't know why doctor's wouldn't prescribe it for depression if it helps without bad side effects!!!

• Posted

Hi it's working for me for depression, I feel stabil with them as long I hold it on a normal level

Try it, if that works you will feel it in one day, just find a stabile level for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.