tramadol for sleep? please help

Posted , 15 users are following.

So I have been given a couple tablets of tramadol to help me sleep? Do they work? Will it help? 

I have probably only had about 6 hours sleep in about a week. I suffer with anxiety and am also on sertraline to control this.

Any help or advice will be appreciated

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tanya42521 - that would be a definite "no" from me!  Tramadol gives me a slight "up" feeling - actually, if I take higher doses (100 - 150 mg) - I will definitely have more energy and get more done.  I found I can't take tramadol after 2 or 3 pm - otherwise, it will keep me awake at night.  I take it for both severe arthritis and neuropathic pain.  I have found the gabapentin that take also - DOES help me sleep.  Another drug that was very effective at helping me sleep was trazadone - but after a while it stopped working for me (as most pills that help you sleep do - stop working).  Good luck to you!  
    • Posted

i take tramadole at about 8-30 each night 2 0 50mg etc i still sleep during the day and need two sleeping pills at night to fall asleeep

I ws on more but stopped most of it Dr said to take at least two a day

have been referred to repiratory and sleep clinic.

also having a hip replacement bad heart and 68 male

Dr said it was the best for my pain

pete

• Posted

I'm lucky if I get 3hrs sleep a nite, I'm 72 my doc won't give me anything nytol don't work is there anything I can buy over the counter I'm exhausted I've got square eyes watching tv

• Posted

The only thing I know of that you can buy OTC is alcohol.

Paracetamol puts me to sleep but it doesn't work for everybody, and, it's a dangerous thing to take too much of as it destroys your liver (so I'm told)

• Posted

You could try doxylamine. It is OTC. Take it, wait a few minutes, then have a drink of alcohol. But be in bed, ready to sleep, within 30 minutes of taking it.

Although lower doses are sometimes effective, I recommend 25 mg. It is, like diphenhhydramine (Nytol), an antihistamine. So don't let it get you dehydrated.

• Posted

It can be difficult to find here.
    • Posted

If it will work for you at all, it takes only one drink. Maybe even less. Beer, wine, or liquor, it makes no difference. But, I won't lie, you can become a little dependent on anything taken regularly for sleep.

I used to do this many years ago. I'd take the pill, get in bed with a shot of bourbon and glass of water. About 10 - 15 minutes after the pill, I'd down the shot, and chase it with water. (I didn't want to drink a sugary Coke and go to bed without brushing my teeth.) Then I'd usually watch TV until I either felt a strong urge to roll over and go to sleep, or until I couldn't recall  what program I had been watching when the commercial was on. cheesygrin

• Posted

Oh, yeah.... it usually hit, all at once, after almost exactly 30 minutes after the pill. That's why it's better than diphenhydramine (Nytol). It come on so fast that it really makes you want to sleep. And yet, if you stayed out of bed, you could easily fight it off.
  • Posted

Hi the question I'm asking is I work permanent nights for Arriva trains. On my days off I can't sleep much so I take one tramadol just to help me to sleep. Is this okay.
    • Posted

It's not generally regarded as a soporific although it does have that effect with some people, It's closely related to but weeker than morphine which is named after Morpheus (the god of dreams).

I don't suppose you will become addicted with just one capsule (don't take my word for it though) but be careful because you were not prescribed them for this purpose if indeed you were prescribed them at all, they are a controlled drug so to have them without the necessaries from the doctor could now land you in trouble.

• Posted

I took Tramadol for years for back pain.

This co-incided with the start of an inability to sleep.

It would take me 3 or 4 hours to get to sleep.

Sometimes 6 or 7 or even no sleep at all.

For years I had no mornings - just waking up at 11am.

My doctor did not manage to connect the two.

I was given to understand my sleep problems were untreatable (due to old age, 60s) and it went on for years.

In desperation I recently re-read the leaflet that came with the tablets and saw that 1 in a 1000 people suffer sleep disturbance.

So I stopped taking the Tramadol and that evening I got off to sleep without a problem.

I have been sleeping normally ever since and have left behind the years of suffering I endured.

It was an absolute nightmare lying awake in bed till the early hours.

I'm off to sleep around midnight, awake at 7 and enjoy busy mornings once again.

What a relief! I have my life back.

I hope this may help some other person in a similar position.

• Posted

Try Zopiclone (canadian brand name) 7.5 mg with a prescription. Works wonders for me and I'd be up for weeks if I didn't have that med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.