tramadol freedom

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have posted a few times on here and would like to share my experiences with others. I am not an addict but have a dependcy on tramadol. I have severe pain for scoliosis. I was put on tramadol because I needed pain medication and refused to be on a strong narcotic. My doctor told me tramadol was safe non addicting. Well I took it as prescribed for 6 months. One day I decided to stop it. The surprise I got when I went into withdrawal. I took 200 mg a day. I felt horrible because I realized I was dependent on this drug now. I continued taking it right away living in control of this drug for the next three months. It started to give me horrible headaches and I started reading more about the drug and became very concerned for my own health. Doctors don't believe me when I tell them how horrible this drug is its crazy! So I decided to consult my doctor and he gave me vicodin instead of the tramadol. I made a choice to take one vicodin a day and get off the tramadol. I stopped taking tramadol about 36 hours ago. I did though start taking my one vicodin a day right away. I know how cold turkey feels from tramadol and so far I have the chills.. Sweats going to the bathroom.. But I tell you I still feel good! Tramadol messes with your brain.. It makes you an emotional blank. I had no emotions while on it. It was ruining my marriage! This morning I woke up and cried it was like it had built up and my brain finally was letting me let it out. I read so much horror stories about tramadol withdrawal.. It actually scared me to stay on it. But even though it sucks and it's hard each hour is another hour closer to being free.. Do it! Get your life back! I will be on vicodin now.. But I don't abuse it and I tell you it doesn't effect me like the tramadol.. And I never have gotten sick when. Stopping it. Tramadol is the devils drug it leaves your system so strongly because of the poison thats in it! I wish you all luck if your struggling to come off of it.. But do it don't look back it's not all horrific as it sounds and it's over so quickly!

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,me again,I looked at vicodin and the side affcts are huge and with headaches , it looks simular to tramadol ?
  • Posted

Well done, Brandi. I don't think the majority of doctors realise the effect this drug has and how unpleasant the withdrawal symptoms can be. The only good thing I can say about coming off it, is the withdrawals, though very unpleasant, don't last more than a few days. But boy is it hard when you are going through it.
  • Posted

Hi all thanks for all your replies! Offically 48 hours without tramadol!! Last night was bad. But managable. I had all the horrible withdrawal symptoms. Restless legs was the worse! But I got up for the day and feel great.. Besides tired from not getting much sleep.. I wander why our bodies withdrawal at night. I just kept telling myself its almost over and pushed through. It feels kinda nice sweating so much because I know the tramadol toxins are getting out of my body! So today I will look forward to tomorrow and keep on keeping on 😀
  • Posted

Thanks for your story and well done to you from coming off this nasty drug Tramadol. I'm on 8x50g a day and hope to go through withdrawals....Again!...in the near future! 
    • Posted

I don't mean I want to go through the withdrawals! Lol I just want to get off this drug and know ia will have to go through the withdrawals :-( as I've tried before and didn't succeed 
    • Posted

Haha yes I understand.. Have you tried tapering? From my experience that didn't work for me the more I thought about it the more I took. It drove me crazy thinking about tramadol I couldn't go anywhere without thinking will I need to take a pill in my pocket so I don't get sick. You will do it when your ready and you will be strong enough to go through the withdrawal. It's hell yes but I will take a week of hell for a lifetime off of it! I think alot of it is mental. If you think it's going to bring you down it will. I went in this time to come out successful and I'm going to and by next week at this time I can say I survived tramadol withdrawal! Good luck to you I hope you find the strentgh to take control!
    • Posted

Thank you! Yes, I do believe you need to have a positive attitude, as best you can, because when the anxiety/depression kicks in you are in a better position to tell yourself you can do this! And as you say, hour by hour you are nearer your goal to freedom! Well don you! xx
  • Posted

Well, I took Tramadol on and off for a couple of years as and when I needed it (which was quite a lot!) then last year I was prescribed 300mg a day of the slow release Tramadol to go with the Gabapentin I was taking.  It didnt seem to have much effect on my pain (osteoarthritis) so I decided to taper it off.  I knew from a bad experience stopping Gabapentin that this needed to be done very slowly and I have done this.  I got it down to 150mg a day quite easily, but it was more traumatic getting it down from 150mg to zilch.  I had restless legs, insomnia, brain zaps and just felt pretty horrible.  Then all of a sudden I was down to 50mg at night and this week (night before last) I havent taken any.  I dont feel brilliant but I dont feel awful.  Im tired but I cant sleep and my appetite is a bit off.  Luckily I have a day at home today so I dont need to go anywhere.  I dont think it is an "evil" drug, but I do think when people go on painkillers they (me especially) can be quite niaive.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would feel as bad as I did from stopping Gabapentin fairly quickly.  I thought "how hard can it be".  Well, a lesson learned!  I also think GPs should make patients a bit more aware of what they are taking.  I was a community carer and I had people that I visited who were on such a large cocktail of drugs and half of them didnt know why they were taking them.  The main reason I wanted to come off all of mine was I didnt know how much my symptoms were down to my pain or side effects of the drugs.  I was taking in excess of 14 a day.  Now I am down to 6 and only two of them are for pain.  Im not out of the woods yet.  I still have to stop taking Nortriptaline (20mgs at night), but I am so glad I have stopped the Gabapentin and am 2 days clear of the Tramadol (early days yet).  I believe Tramadol stays in your system for a long time.
    • Posted

Awesome job! I feel most of the withdrawal symptoms at night. Also I sneeze alot has anyone else had this? I just feel like for something to make you so sick after taking a small dose and as prescribed is a little fishy. Don't turn back now we are almost over the hill to feeling better! Just gotta keep reminding yourself it's only going to get better.. I don't think it could get much worse 😀
    • Posted

Ive just re read your post!  Yes to the sneezing!!!  Drives me mad because it hurts my back if I sneeze and I have sneezed so much more than usual.  How weird!
  • Posted

Well day three with no tramadol! Only forward from here. it hasn't been too bad.. It could of been worse. Yesterday I had the sweats all day and was cold. It feels good though because I know that's the tramadol leaving my body.. Goodbye tramadol! I take flexiril at night..too help relax my mind and my restless legs. It helps for about 5 hours then I wake up with insomnia and just restlessness. It's OK though I go with it.. What I learned is too not fight the insomnia if I spend all night trying to sleep I go crazy! When it's time to get up its like a huge relief. I have a bit of a stomach ache today.. And feel a little emotional.. But nothing horrible. So on to the next 24 hours.. I look forward to each day and not having to worry about this ever again!
  • Posted

I've been on Tramadol for 2 years. Every  now and again I go a week or so without taking any just to prove to myself that I can. Anyway, whilst on one of my Tramadol free periods I tore a couple of ligaments in my knee. I have suffered from PHN for eight or so years and from PMR for about 16 months and I thought I knew what pain was until my knee injury. I thought of Tramadol straight away for the pain and it made not the slightest difference.

Now I'm four weeks into the injury and it's healing OK, not so much a pain now as an ache. I've tried everything for the ache because it drives me round the bend, I just can't get comfortable with it. 

Guess what ..... Tramadol woks wonders for the ache ...crap for the pain mind.

I just take one capsule when I can stand it no longer and within half an hour things are somewhat better.

Tramadol may be a b*stard if it gets hold of you but used correctly it can be a Godsend.

• Posted

Hi Steve 

you sound like me ... With PHN ... Got it post shingles attack, also have three slipped disks, which dont want to repair naturally 😟

I too only tke a Tramadol when pain is unbearable .. ( mind you i have a high pain threshold) 

maybe take one Tramadol a week if that.. it works but it does give me a headache later that day.. even when only used rarely..

but it does work - headache puts me off taking it ... 

jay 

• Posted

Hi Steve 1 ..yes I agree I am now on day 4 with no tramadol and haven't been happier! I had horrible pain after I stopped the tramadol.. Making me realize that tramadol was helping my pain. But the side effects of it are not worth it. My headaches have stopped since i stopped the tramadol which is a huge relief! I guess as it works wanders as pain management.. I think it's important for people to know what it is doing to their bodies. Tramadol grabbed right ahold of me and made my brain completely out of wack. I was a blank when it came to emotions and my body came very dependent on it very fast. It was awful knowing how sick I would get if I skipped a dose. Now I have control again I can sleep now to as the tramadol was also causing me insomnia. To take it every now and again is fine for those who know they won't continue it. But I believe its not safe and I believe we will see that in the near future. god bless all those struggling with tapering or cold turkey withdrawal..because it's a real fight but I never thought I could do it and have. I never feel a urge for it or will ever take it again.
    • Posted

Ive lost count of how many days I havent had it for.  About 5 I think?  First two days werent two bad but ever since has been a nightmare to sleep.  Restless legs and insomnia.  Im exhausted.  I am taking Nortriptaline at night and it isnt helping with the sleep at all, so I phoned Dr. just now who advised taking Nortriptaline up to 50mg.  (Im on 20mg).  I will do it because Im so tired, but I wonder if Im making a rod for my own back with THIS  drug now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.