tramadol freedom

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have posted a few times on here and would like to share my experiences with others. I am not an addict but have a dependcy on tramadol. I have severe pain for scoliosis. I was put on tramadol because I needed pain medication and refused to be on a strong narcotic. My doctor told me tramadol was safe non addicting. Well I took it as prescribed for 6 months. One day I decided to stop it. The surprise I got when I went into withdrawal. I took 200 mg a day. I felt horrible because I realized I was dependent on this drug now. I continued taking it right away living in control of this drug for the next three months. It started to give me horrible headaches and I started reading more about the drug and became very concerned for my own health. Doctors don't believe me when I tell them how horrible this drug is its crazy! So I decided to consult my doctor and he gave me vicodin instead of the tramadol. I made a choice to take one vicodin a day and get off the tramadol. I stopped taking tramadol about 36 hours ago. I did though start taking my one vicodin a day right away. I know how cold turkey feels from tramadol and so far I have the chills.. Sweats going to the bathroom.. But I tell you I still feel good! Tramadol messes with your brain.. It makes you an emotional blank. I had no emotions while on it. It was ruining my marriage! This morning I woke up and cried it was like it had built up and my brain finally was letting me let it out. I read so much horror stories about tramadol withdrawal.. It actually scared me to stay on it. But even though it sucks and it's hard each hour is another hour closer to being free.. Do it! Get your life back! I will be on vicodin now.. But I don't abuse it and I tell you it doesn't effect me like the tramadol.. And I never have gotten sick when. Stopping it. Tramadol is the devils drug it leaves your system so strongly because of the poison thats in it! I wish you all luck if your struggling to come off of it.. But do it don't look back it's not all horrific as it sounds and it's over so quickly!

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its taken since December last year, but I am finally finished with Tramadol, Gabapentin and Nortriptyline.  I think I can honestly say...NEVER again.
    • Posted

That's excellent news! I'm still on my slow withdrawal and hope by this time next year to be Tramadol free!!!!
  • Posted

I started taking tramadol at around 18 for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). My mum had slipped 3 discs in her back. I'm now 27 and still taking it, though I am tapering again. I spent 5 months in rehab because of this drug primarily, but other substances also.

At my worst I was using between 1500mg-1750mg a day. I cold turkey'd from this dose as my behaviour was erratic and I just wasn't a very nice person.

10 days it took to be able to stand up. I was carried to the toilet (every 10 minutes), or if nobody was about I had to crawl.

I don't know how to express in words how terrible that withdrawal was. I am not a junkie but I have been told and seen that the withdrawal is worse than heroin due to the SSRI/SNRI effect that tramadol also serves. Thats what causes the brain zaps and the overwhelming depression (I experienced that anyway)

I got through it, and relapsed within 6 months. I am an addict. I'm not ashamed to say that. I'm currently on 500mg, dropping 50mg a week. This is the last time. No more.

Anyone with a history of alcoholism or drug use in their family, or an "addictive personality" should either not use tramadol or be very, very careful with it.

Nasty, horrible, disgusting drug. I'm glad it's now a controlled drug and not so widely prescribed.

That's me anyway. Just wanted to add a little of my experience.

• Posted

Bless your heart! You sound like youve had a terrible time. Good luck to you with the tapering. Im still getting brain zaps and Ive not taken it for a long time. Also very weepy and irritable. Take care xx
    • Posted

I too hate this drug, I'm trying to come off this drug with difficulty. Everyone's taper may be different, but I'm having to open up the capsule and divide the powder by 3xtimes to make 15mg (roughly) and reduce by that and stay on that reduction for at least a month before my next reduction. I've tried the dropping one capsule a month with no success! I'm on 300g at the moment and will do another reduction when I feel I can cope! It's gonna take me over a year, but I rather that then having to give up. Evernote though I'm in  tapering, I'm still getting withdrawals, but able to cope with them! Once you finished withdrawals. That's not the end of it for some people, as you then can have to go through PAWS and that could last up to 2 years. So all these horrible feelings could still be withdrawals, months, even years after stopping g this nasty drug. Just be patient and I wish you well! X
    • Posted

Hi ruth,everyones different and if your having trouble cutting down on tramadol then ask your dr for some tramadol drops,each drop on a teaspoon equals 12.5 mg and has immediate affect. so if you reduce buy 12.5mg a day and struggle then just take the 12.5mg to get you back to your normal dose and try again the next day, the trouble is we all want to reduce and do it as quick as possible , but as my wife says " you've been on it for ages so whats the rush " and shes right most of the time smile (don't tell her though) , I hope this helps and you find a way forward with reducing, have a nice sunday.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. I did asked a doctor for drops and he would t give me it as he said it's too expensive! I was upset about that. I may try another doctor and see what they say. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.