Tramadol is not evil.

Posted , 52 users are following.

Tramadol does not have any malicious intent to get you 'hooked' or 'addicted'.

Tramadol provides a reliable source of relief to many pain sufferers and patients with other medical problems. The VARIABLE in all this ... is the individual patient, everyone's body makeup is different and so will react and produce different side effects with every drug they take. The only way to find out how your body will react is to give the prescribed drug a try, preferably for a couple weeks if this will be a long-term drug and if it doesn't suit you talk to your doctor. They most likely can find an alternative that will suit you. That's one of the reasons why there are so many drugs that do the same thing. wink

As for not knowing the possibilities of what might happen - there's only two people you can blame, one - your doctor for not giving you some important facts and two - yourself for not researching your prescription online.

Personally I think doctors even on the NHS should take more time to spell out the common effects and if it can be addictive but I do understand that they don't usually have the time. This isn't going to change anytime soon though, so...

There is a plethora of information online, on any prescription drug and it will tell you everything you need to know before you take it. Some websites, like drugs.com, even have an Interactions Checker which you can input all your medications into and check if they will react badly. It's very cool and I even was able to bring a bad mix up to my doctor who was able to clarify that the short amount of time I was taking the new drug would be ok with my regular prescription.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tramadol is a synthetic (man made) opiate. It does not mix well with natural opiates such as cocodamol as one person was complaining about in this forum. Always check with your doctor if you feel uncomfortable and always take prescriptions as advised. If you start mixing things up and not understanding the chemistry behind it then what do you expect?

COMMON SIDE EFFECTS: Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; indigestion; mild itching; nausea; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness. Constipation seems to be the most common and would advise a gentle laxative.

If you have any SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS (see following) then go to A&E or see the doctor the next day depending on how bad it is, stop taking the Tramadol until you can get medical advice:Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; confusion; difficult or painful urination; disorientation; excessive sweating; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, depression, agitation); red, blistered, swollen, or peeling skin; seizures; severe dizziness or light-headedness; severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; severe or persistent headache; slow or shallow breathing; suicidal thoughts or behaviors; tremor; vision problems; wheezing.

I DON'T WANT TO BECOME ADDICTED: Well most people don't. If your condition will be temporary then consider asking for Codeine (a natural opiate) which doesn't work as well but will help relieve some of the pain. Always take paracetamol at the same time you take any opiate, my NHS doctors have always told me this, saying that they both work better together than just the opiate alone and in my experience this is true. Also when you feel the pain is minimal to moderate, try taking just paracetamol and skipping a dose of your opiate when possible. Once you do this more often than not you can either realize that you can live with minimal pain or only take the opiate sporadically as needed.

If you have a long term condition like me, then I'll tell you what my doctor in the US told me when I told her I didn't want to become addicted. First, she said, you're only an addict if you're taking the drug to get a high, otherwise you're just dependent. Then she told me I can either take the drug to alleviate the pain and get some normal things done on a daily basis or don't take it and live with a pain that will most likely prevent me from leaving my bed and become agitated and irritated with everything and everyone because of my relentless pain. She said there is no shame in become dependent and that when the time came to stop there would be a safe period of weaning the drug and a plan for the withdrawal. I added that most NHS doctors are ambivalent towards things like this and she said, then demand it. I did and I was helped, no NHS doctor ever judged me for being dependent and it does seem like they deal with this often. They are not as organised as in the U.S. where you can get a 'kick pack' which contains valium, supplements and many useful tips but my NHS doctor did prescribe me valium for 4 days which was enough to get over the 'hump' and I researched and procured the other supplements and tips I needed online.

WHY YOU BECOME DEPENDENT: In plain speak, Tramadol does the job of making your body feel good and does it so well that it relieves the overabundant amount of pain your going through because of your medical condition. Once your body realizes it doesn't have to do this job anymore, it will stop, that's when your body has become 'dependent'. When you stop taking the Tramadol and your body hasn't yet taken it's 'job' back, you feel withdrawal symptoms because there is nothing making you feel good. The withdrawal will end once your body takes back it's normal job of releasing the chemicals which make you feel good.

HOW TO OVERCOME THE WITHDRAWAL PERIOD: If you have become dependent Tramadol and you most likely have if you've been taking it for a long time, it's almost always best to consult with your doctor about a withdrawal plan. They can help give you a plan to wean the drug and also be there for when you need muscle relaxers if you need them once you stop the drug. If they are not helpful, see another doctor, rinse and repeat (especially if you're on NHS!).

Even better - What you can do is research all this on the internet but I will include this one link because I felt it was the one who helped me the most when I went through it. Not just the info but the people who commented and gave support. There are many forums that will do the same thing, find one which has active supportive members (and a plan you feel comfortable with) and I promise you will feel better about being able to get feedback from people who have felt what you are going through. Actually I'm going to link the process I used for withdrawal, it's from the same site and you can explore that further if you want or just Google 'opiate withdrawal forum' for support and plans.

http://www.vicodinwithdrawal.org/alternative-medicine/thomas-recipe-opiate-detox

Oh and I should also warn that you will come across a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about, but you should be able to spot them pretty quick,. Just ignore them, find good info and support, that's the best thing to do. smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is more helpful than not. I'm not sure why people come here to complain about a drug. The drug has been well tested and it's not dangerous. However being ill-informed about a drug, how you take it and the possibilities ...well that certainly can be.

Best of wishes to everyone struggling with their conditions, keep looking towards the future! Ronni <3>

22 likes, 179 replies

179 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree, Tramadol has been stigmatised to some extent by the media more recently and because of misconceptions which have developed surrounding the drug, GP's are very reluctant to prescribe it, even for its original analgesic use, let alone for any off-label uses.

It's a pity because it is a very useful drug with a reasonable side effect profile compared to other pain-relief drugs and anti-depressants. I mention anti-depressants because Tramadol is a very effective anti-depressant in my experience, it does act on serotonin and noradrenaline. I believe it also very effective for CFS, ADD and possibly a whole host of other conditions.

However, there are possible risks and complications from prescribing Tramadol for longer term use (anything more than a few months). For one thing, in my experience it can cause appetite suppression leading to severe weight loss. It can also cause chronic insomnia, even at a fairly low dose of 50mg-100mg once daily.

If you're taking Tramadol you should take it early in the morning to avoid insomnia due to its long half-life. Getting plenty of exercise helps too. Watch your diet and weight carefully, particularly if you're underweight already or not eating regular meals. Meal support (Complan etc) may be necessary if appetite suppression starts to affect weight in people sick.

• Posted

Gee, appetite suppressant - I wish! I've been on it for nearly 10 years- it's be great to have lost a bit of weight as well as all the pain relief! Still, along with so many people, I've never had any adverse reactions, so what's agree pounds!

• Posted

Insomnia?, would be a fine thing. At night I take 10 mg. of Amitriptyline and 50 mg. of Tramadol. Logs don't sleep as deeply as me.If I do wake during the night I know that I will go straight back to sleep, no sweat.

But, and there is always a but, at the beginning of this week I decided to knock the Tramadol off for a while. An action that soon resulted in extreme pain and not such peaceful nights. Whether the disturbed sleep was caused by the pain or lack of Tramadol I don't know and to be honest, I don't feel up to finding out yet. My conclusion is that (so far) that Tramadol is wonderful for pain management but it may well cause some form of dependency. No appetite loss, in fact I've gained weight Could be water retention, I don't seem to urinate as frequently as I used to..

Discomfort of dependence? A choice that I will have to think long about.

When I type in Amitriptyline it is underlined as a spelling error and the alternative spelling given is pantyliner. Makes one wonder about the minds of programmers.

• Posted

I have been taking Tramadol for severe back pain for several years. I was given it because I got an ulcer afterr taking anti inflammatories. For about 8 years, it has been fine, except that lately I couldn't sleep through the night, as the effects wore off about 3 a..m. Now I am taking slow release Tramadol which works fine. After some facet joint injections about 4 months ago, I had no pain for a few weeks so I stopped all painkillers and had NO withdrawal trouble. However, then the effectof the injections expired, as I had been warned it would.

So I started the Tramadol again and this time, after about six weeks, I am experiencing some nausea. I find that it goes away after a while, but it is unpleasant. So I suppose I must accept this:it is far less a problem than the severe pain.

I seem to be able to stop Tramadol as I wish, so I find it hard to believe it can be addictive.

I am seeing my neurosurgeon in a couple of weeks, so I shall ask his advice. I am a believer in going to

Thw professinals to get answers, really.

• Posted

I have been on tramadol 400mg a day on of for five years now and I came of it for a year and I never experienced any withdrawal symptoms. I came of it slowly when my back was better for a while and I didn't decided to start coming of it until I felt I was 100% ready to lower start lowering the dose and stop taking it. Coming of tramadol doesn't give you any physical withdrawal symptoms it's only stronger drugs like morphine that do. People can however experience "mental withdrawals" where they are so used to the feeling it gives especialy if they have been on them long term . If you are sweating and in pain and having sleepless nights from decideding to come of tramadol then parhaps you still have" pain problems" that where masked by taking the tramadol and are not quite ready to stop taking it,or you are sufering from mental withdrawals due to depression which everyone knows causes pain . I despise horror stories about a drug which is very helpful and not physicaly adictive. If it was it would say in the instruction leaflet and Doctors would warn patients of the withdrawals.
    • Posted

I think you mean well, but I have to disagree.  I am coming off it slowly and have had no problems at all with the 50mg tabs--but I had bad withdrawls for barely cutting back with the extended release.  I quit cold turkey and had sweating, restless leg, among others.  I talked to the doctor, it IS physical withdrawl, not mental.  For me I have no mental affects anyway, it's like taking a Tylenol.  I don't feel any different on it than I did on air.  I did at first, of course, but after about 6 months that was over.  It worked for pain, but there was no opiate affect.

I just worry that your suggestion that it is mental could mislead someone.  Tramadol is known for having a severe withdrawl if not handled correctly, but I think that if people approach it carefully then it is a good option. That said, I think it has been extremely helpful and I would recommend it to others with chronic pain

There is a big difference between "being addicted" and "being physically dependent" .

• Posted

I should elaborate the post I just left...I have "quit" taking tramadol 3 times.  Once, the XR, and that was miserable to stop and I was only on it for a month.  Second time, I wanted to drink when I went to LAs Vegas on a trip so I quit cold turkey (stupid) and had severe withdrawls for a week.  By the time I went to Las Vegas I was still having nausea from stopping cold turkey, though it wasn't as bad by day 8.  Third time, which is my current time, I was on 200 mg Tramadol a day and am down to 75 mg a day.  I am just stepping down slowly and have had zero issues.  It just isn't working well for me anymore, and I don't want to take a higher dose.  I have mostly been taking it for 5 years now.
    • Posted

Absolute agreement,megsie!If only the media would start listening to those of us who have no problems! But that wouldn't sell papers!

• Posted

I have been taking tramadol now for a couple of years, I find I can start and stop as needed even though I am taking a high dose (300mg slow release at night, 200mg slow release in a morning and top up of 100mg in afternoon). The only side effect I have is weight gain! Its not alot of weight but my appetite is virtually non existent but i have gained half a stone. my doctor believes the weight gain is from the amitriptelene that i take at night and so I have stopped taking them for a while but as yet have not lost any weight at all. i dont think tramadol is an evil drug it helps those who are at the wits end with pain, I do think there is alot of truth in the fact you should only take it as needed and not take it for the sake of taking it as with any strong painkillers. Everyone has different experiences with all drugs there is no one rule, trial and error are the only way.
  • Posted

Interesting discussion guys and girls...quite a different range of views and experiences on this drug it seems..

I think, as someone said, everyone can react differently and each persons situation can be unique..

Whilst there is no doubt of the potential for "dependency issues" with prolonged and higher dosage usage, some people do not experience any problems coming off it and don't even need to taper off, while others have a very difficult time it seems, going by the forums and posts related to it. If you've been on Tramadol for a long time (i.e. many years, at a daily higher dosage) it makes sense to taper down off it, and unfortunately many GP's aren't fully aware of that and don't advise patients how to taper down gradually.

One thing I would repeat is, Tramadol is not just a simple painkiller drug. It has 3 distinct actions on very different pathways of the brain. These, and the drugs method of actions are not fully understood even. My theory is, that Tramadol acts like an anti-depressant in more ways than it does a painkiller, and this is perhaps where the dependency issues may arise. Tramadol has weak and relative low opiate-painkilling properties. If you look on a opiate scale of drugs, Tramadol is very low down the bottom. Codeine is much higher for example, and we know that physical addiction to Codeine can be a real problem in some people.

From my own personal experience, I have found that Tramadol alters significantly how the brain and body functions..you have more energy, you feel more alert, your brain and cognitive ability seems to speed up. Physical activity becomes easier, and if you suffer from lethargy and low energy, those problems just vanishe on Tramadol.Life just seems a lot better on Tramadol and you feel more functional, if you have poor health.

Now that said, it's easy to see how you can come to rely on Tramadol and hence I say "dependency" can arise, i.e. not a full-blown addiction with physical withdrawals, but just a need to take Tramadol to feel function, much like people take caffeine. I've never experienced any of the classic opiate physical withdrawal symptoms of the type described with Tramadol by some people. However I've only taken 50mg once daily max, and only 100-150mg for short periods of intense pain (no more than a week).

When I stop taking my 50mg daily dose, I feel lethargic and all the problems I had BEFORE I started Tramadol, return..low mood, low motivation, inability to concentrate etc. This is why I emphasise again, that Tramadol IMO is an effective treatment for other conditions possibly.. whether that be depression or something else.

The only reason I stopped taking Tramadol myself was due to the worrying weight loss...I went from being 10 stone (already thin and underweight a bit at 5'11) down to about 8 stone.. that's a 20% loss of body weight...and any more could have been serious my Dr said. I ended up having to take meal replacement drinks to keep my calories/nutrition up and have put on a stone in weight now.

On Tramadol, I just have no appetite at all hardly, I could skip meals and not feel hungry and still have boundless energy. It seems to speed up my metabolism so the body burns up calories from body fat. Maybe it could be marketed as a weight loss pill, unless this side effect is just more pronounced in people like me!

• Posted

Very interesting theory morphix and you are almost certianly correct. Tramaol increases seritone levels which we all know are reduced when people have depression which is why antidepressants up seritone levels. It is low down on the opiod scale is tramadol is not technichaly a opiod as its chemical make up is designed to mimick opiods rather like oxycontin but nowhere near is powerful. But yes codine can be adictive and peo[ple who get adictied to it need to be weened of it and need to see a drug worker.I know what you mean about the weight loss to I offten do not eat lunch and just a dinner and some toast for breakfast. I also know what you mean about the energy I don't have any when I'm waiting for my tramadol to kick in and my other medication(for nerve pain and muscle spasms) starts working before the tramadol and then when the tramadol kicks in I feel alert , happier and have energy. I also think that I feel happy and hav energy because of the pain relief it gives as I'm ever so tense and unhappy from the pain when I'm due a dose.
  • Posted

On starting tramadol at 50mg caps 2-3 time day, found it no help. I was told it was very strong it worried me as it was no help. Later gp prescribed 2 capsule 6hrly if required This I was unsure about due to what was told about addiction. Unable to tolerate codiene. In time found needed 100mg 6hrly, even then it didnt cover pain for long enough. As weeks went by I discovered I wasslowly decreasing times required automatically, am now taking 100mg twice in 24hrs. So rekon as pain lessens will automatically stop taking. As codiene wasnt suitable Tramodol has been helpful. As I am not tempted to take more than required am no longer concerned about habbit forming. Time will tell. So really it depends on how the individual reacts. Have found it interesting reading about how others have reacted
  • Posted

Hi everyone.

I was perscibed tramadol about a year ago.I was taking 400mg daily. I found this drug effective, however I was also taking an antidepressiant. and over time I started to become very depressed and almost suicidal.

Being a very happy person in general I knew this wasnt me. I started to look into all the medications I was on. Long story short. My pharmacist looked into my issues and uncovered what was called seritonin overload. I live in Canada and here our doctors are responsible for issuing perscriptions. I have since learned from watching my father completely lose his mind for a short period of time do to medication mix ups and my issues, that the best person to discuss any medication problems is with your pharmasist. these are people who have trained intensely for this specific purpose. I have been decreasing this medication gradually and have notice that im getting much better. So to sum it up.I feel this is an effective medication for some but not for all. I have learned to not take any new medications without talking to my pharamacist. These people dont usually disscourage you from taking a medication your doctor has perscribed but ive learn now to always get their honest opinion. Hopefully at some point our doctors will diagnose our medical issues and leave the medication handouts to these educated people. If used correctly medications can help. I am having withdrawls from this medication but with the help of my pharmacist I am doing ok. good luck and god bless

• Posted

Tramadol has changed colour of capsule to plain yellow now no explanation given, chemist said read lable instructions inside box when rang them.
  • Posted

I would like to post an update to my earlier posts on Tramadol, some new recent experiences for those interested...

I suffer from social anxiety, and I don't know if anyone on Tramadol has or does, but I find, Tramadol makes social anxiety much worse.. If I'm in the house by myself, I'm fine.. but if I go outside or I'm socialising, I'm a nervous wreck while on Tramadol (even 25mg). I believe this is due to the noradrenaline pathway receptors it works on. It's probably therefore not recommended IMO for people who suffer with anxiety conditions for pain relief and doctors may not realise this.

Anyway, recently, I started to take Tramadol again after a long absence from it of maybe a year (I've been on and off Tramadol for many years, not for pain, not for recreational use either, but rather because it fixed the problems I mentioned in my earlier post, namely depression/lethargy/low motivation and concentration etc).

Anyway, to cut a long story short.. I started to re-dose (something I've never done before, usually only taking 50mg once daily), because I was also taking benzo's for anxiety which made me drowsy and the Tramadol perked me up and kept me awake.. I was taking around 150mg-250mg Tramadol a day for about 2-3 weeks. I eventually became a total mess at this dose...my sleeping habits were all the over place, I wasn't eating properly again, and basically I was becoming manic, with racing thoughts etc. I realised I had to come off the Tramadolso I tapered down to 25mg. Once I stopped taking it completely, I experienced EXTREME lethargy and mild symptoms very similar to a heroin/major opiate withdrawn. Sweats, restlessness, skin itching, hot flushes, feeling sick,no mental energy to move, yet at the same time restless legs. Very low mood and a deep depression. I took 25mg Tramadol after several days feeling like this as I just needed to work and get things done, and couldn't stand it anymore. After taking the Tramadol I felt much better..the symptoms went away.

To me, this experience felt like a real physical addiction to Tramadol. Something I've never experienced before in the years I've been taking at (at 50mg once daily). The symptoms made me feel very similar to how junkie's needing a fix felt (curled up on bed etc). This really scared me, and suggested MAYBE with frequent re-dosing or at higher doses daily for extended periods Tramadol can be physically additive. I'm now taking a low 25mg maintenance dose and feel ok.. I'm not manic or lethargic.. I think it's a good drug, but you need to be careful with the dosing and not just pop these paracetamol. Less is more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.