Tramadol my story Beginning to freedom

Posted , 2 users are following.

I injured my neck in Feb 2017. I went swimming for the first time in years and totally over did it. I am also a beauty therapist so lots of bent neck and repetitive moments via massage etc. 

i am also hyper mobile (super bendy). I was 46 that February so body not as resilient. 

Anyway I had an MRI which showed a bulging disc c3/c4 and loss of fluid in that disc. Surgery was not an option. So began trial and error of drugs. Gabapentine (useless and awful). Naproxen also useless. Diclofenac so/so but not great for asthma. Codeine took the edge off but that was it. I was in pain 24/7. I went to a chiropractor and then osteopath. Both helped to some degree. In August I was so depressed with the pain the doctor put me on 50mg tramadol 1/2 tablets upto three times a day. Of all the meds this helped the most but left me tired, prone to sudden limb spasms and reduced pain by 50%. 

As a AA and NA person with 10 years clean I was not happy taking 4 to 5 tablets a day. By January 2018 I started to feel suicidal because of the chronic pain. I paid privately to go to a pain clinic and had steroid injections in my neck. This helped enormously and the pain started to come back after 3 weeks. I then paid privately to have the nerve burn out. Again a series of injections in the neck but they pass a current through the needle. At first my muscles were in spasm and the pain worst, but this is normal. Around 3 weeks later I was ready to come off tramadol. I was on 4 a day at this point.

Step 1) one day 4, next day 3, one day 4 next day 3 for a week

step 2) one day 3, next day 2, one day 3, next day 2 for a week

step 3) one day 2, next day 1, one day 2 next day 1 for a week

step 4) one tablet a day slowly increasing 24 hours, 36 hours and 48 hours for 3 weeks

step 5) return to chiropractors once a fortnight 

step 6) took 1 Valium diazepam at night for 3 weeks until no tramadol for 2 weeks. Do not increase diazepam/Valium 

this is worked for me. The breakthrough was getting the nerve burnt out. It lasts up to 2 years and while I am hopeful it won’t come back, if it does I will have it burnt out again as the nerve can grow again.

Hope this helps

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have Fribromyalgia and Tramadol has been my saving grace. But I had to go thru lots meds before getting on tramadol. As an Alcoholic in recovery I had issues taking Tramadol but at that time I was in so much pain I would taken anything to stop the pain. So I have stopped taking it a few times but always go back because nothing else works. So if I go off it again I will know how to ween myself off. I don't recommend cold turkey. I thought I needed a break. I was Miserable to say the least. 1yr. Later I went back on Tramadol.

• Posted

But i also wanted to say that I have nerve damage in my lower back and cortisone shots didn't last long enough, So i had the nerve ending burnt and it was heaven for about a yr. And I did it again. But now that I'm on Medicare my doctor is trying different meds again to see if something works. Starting over again i guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.