tramadol nightmare!

Posted , 11 users are following.

3 days ago I began,by accident,to go through the nightmare of tramadol withdrawal.I'd been prescribed up to 400mg daily 4 months ago to relieve fibromyalgia pain.Luckily,I settled on a dose of 200mg taken early evening and last thing before bed,not realising at the time that I was using them more to aid sleep than for pain.I absentmindedly forgot to order my repeat prescription,hence the withdrawal.Can't believe what I am going through.The worst thing is the restless legs and complete inability to be still,especially at nightimes,which seem to go on for ever.I am so tired through lack of sleep and the constant fidgeting is horrendous.Cannot settle to watch tv,read,or anything else that would distract me from other unpleasant sensations like the whooshing in the head,electric pulses,irritability,etc.My gp,usually very good,never mentioned any possibility of addiction,or even that tramadol are opiate based.I am now determined to get off and stay off this drug.Believe it or not the chronic pain I have is more manageable than tramadol withdrawal.Hoping someone has some positive feedback to encourage me,but also want to make people aware of the dangers of this drug,and the need to ask more questions if prescribed.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi  10twinks i hope you are doing ok - hang in there it will get better day by day- its not easy, but then again if it was easy any idiot could do it- be proud of yourself every day you win the fight - stay strong -
    • Posted

Thanks pmcg21.....just had really rough night,no sleep at all but will stay with it.
  • Posted

hi , 10twinks, the RL ia a nightmare, i found it lesened over a few nights, my sleep pattern is still all over the place but slowly getting back to normal- it is probably not what you want to hear , but you have to stay strong and ride it out - there is light at the end of the tunnel no matter how distant it may seem - hang in there and it will get better day by day - there is no quick fix unfortunately- do not give up hope - the prize is worth winning - it will change your life- you gotta want it - gotta want it real bad to go through this but once you are out the other side you can look back with pride on what you have accomplished- my thoughts and prayers are with you -
  • Posted

I know when coming off any opiates, my body starts flushing out fluids, which can lead to dehydratiion, & a mineral or potassium deficiency, which I think makes the RLS worse or maybe even causes it. Just my theory. Eat bananas & stay hydrated  which might help with the RLS. Ive always found the RLS the most frustrating side effect. Hot baths always gave temporay relief , but they can make you more dehydrated.
    • Posted

restless legs can't be treated with bananas as you can't eat enough to get the potassium needed. Taking it in vitamin form is best. Take a good muliti vitamin, take extra iron (210mg a day), and take lots of extra vitamin c. If fatigue is a factor too, take 5000mg of B12 a day for at least 6 months. Hydration is important. I used re-hydration drinks and sipped them in my hot baths. The iron stopped the RLS in less than 24 hours after suffering for nearly two years with it. I still get slight restlessness if I sit for long, and sometimes at night, but not the torture restlessness of before. I get full night sleeps.
  • Posted

Hi there I just read your post. Ugh yes the withdrawal from this drug is unbearable. It's literally so painful. I too was prescribed tram for back pain. Didn't know the pain until I ran out. It's an awful drug and the doctors don't realize the jeopardy they are putting patients in....
  • Posted

The worst is over in about 5 days or maybe 6 but as someone else comented we are all different. I have come off this stuff many times and 5 or 6 days is the worst. If you are still craving the opiat buzz after you go through the acute pysical addiction then you have an addiction problem and need extra help. That is why Tramadol should never be prescribed to anyone who has had a previous problem with addiction.
  • Posted

Hi I am new here and hope that im not too late to comment on this discussion. A brief history 3yrs ago I suffered a back injury and was prescribed Tramadol 8x50mg a day. I have for the past 10mnths been taking between 16 and 20 50mg tablets daily. My consultant is aware of this my G.P too is aware of this . I have tried to taper off this horrendous drug but I am finding it almost impossible with the withdrawal symptoms yes the restless legs among many. I asked my G.P for help to reduce the amount I am taking and all she said was "just try to cut down" mmmm not very helpful. I am fully aware that I have got myself into this situation and I can,t find a way out from it. I am also taking 5 other prescribed meds all of which are taken as prescribed. Not once has my G.P questioned why I needed another prescription when she had only just given me 200. I was never told about the difficulty regarding withdrawal. Really at a loss about how to deal with this issue, withdrawal is a terrifying prospect, yet know its the only way to go...Apologies for waffling on. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope that this does,nt set you back in your courageous effort to withdraw.
  • Posted

Hello Twinks! I was just wondering how your journey with the withdrawls from this horrible drug went? Did you go cold turkey? How's everything now? Im going through withdrawls also right and it is horrible. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.