Tramadol Withdrawal

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi There

I'm not sure if anyone here can help. I saw some discussions on tramadol withdrawal on this site but it was from about 6 months ago so i'm just praying someone is still on who can help. Here is my story,

I began taking tramadol about 5 months ago for chronic pelvic pain. I had told my doctor i had some trouble becoming dependant on Vicodin in the past so instead she prescribed Tramadol saying that i would not become addicted if i follow the appropriate dosage. Well that didn't work because eventrually it made me feel so good and happy i took it for recreational purposes. I blew through all 90 pills in 7 days. I was taking up to 500mg a day but then they wouldn't refil my prescription for three more weeks so i would withdraw and then get right back on the tramadol once my prescription was up. This time, I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK. I stopped cold turkey Wednesday night at 9:30pm after taking my last 200mg and now it is Friday morning. I have some minor restless legs but i have NO ENERGY and i feel like LIFE TRULY SUCKS. I know that working out will help and eating might help and getting some excercise but get this, i actually came to my office job today. I figure that rather than call in i'll try to push through the last work day of the week. My 5 year old son comes home on Sunday afternoon so i want to do all that i can today and Saturday to at least get back to the point where i can care for him. Any suggestions on how to get out of this slump in the next two days would be grately appreciated. Nobody knows about this, not even my boyfriend. I'm just so afraid of being judged. I feel like anyone i tell will judge me and i feel like my boyfriend will run the other way if i tell him so i HAVE to do this alone. PLEASE HELP!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I take Tramadol 200mg a day, for spinal, neck, and shoulder pain, I used to be on 150mg a day, but my doctor increased them due to pain I am constantly in. So, she changed them to 100mg twice a day, but the slow release type.

Are you still in pain with chronic pelvic pain? There are other medications that should be used instead of removing Tramadol abruptly, I was tried on one but it caused problems with my IBS, so I was left on Tramadol.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Or I was thinking you go to pain clinic they will reffer you to hospital for the cold turkey so you don't have to be on your own nurses going to be there to help you out or if you hire a nurse in your house for a week she can help you too 
    • Posted

Hi Again

I would love to do that but I don't have the flexibility. My son will be home tomorrow afternoon. I will say that I got 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night. I was hoping that meant I was coming out on the other side now? I am officially 58 hrs cold turkey so this is my third day. I'm hoping that by the time my son returns tomorrow I will be at least well enough to not cry all day or feel depressed all day. Also is there anything you can sugget for restoring energy?

• Posted

do you have access to any triptans, migraine pills. they help some.  i have been on 200 mg a day for 4 years but its not enuff for my pain so i end up taking 5 some days and when i run a day or so short the symptoms are always bad. 
  • Posted

even if you went to e.r. and had excuse they would pee test you and see you have too much in pee. i also drink emergencies to help with vitamin c and b's it helps with fatigue. and you can take a small dose of a cold remedy.
  • Posted

My biggest advice tho is please give your next bottle to bf to hold and give you days amount each day.  when i first got mine i too would take more cos i finally had something that made me feel better but the withdrawal is worse than hydro's.
    • Posted

Hey

I actually do NOT plan to pick up another bottle of those. I just don't trust that I won't abuse them. Also, you said the tramadol would still show up in my urine? I've been off since Wednesday night which makes today Day 3. I was hoping it was all out of my system by now and that I was just fighting to get back to normal?

• Posted

you need to be clean 5 days but i agree if you don't trust urself, not getting them is best. i just had my bf hold them til i got to point i could take them as prescribed. cos i need them.
  • Posted

I started with the max dose of 8 a day 50mg on top of Amitriptyline 30mg every night that was 5 months ago now im only on 2 a day had to go too 40 mg of Amitriplyine was not sleeping at all its not easy cutting the dose i was feeling awful everyday no energy at all
  • Posted

hi Afraid2015- hope you are doing ok - im an alcoholic and drug addict i was given tramadol for back pain, after surgery, on the basis they were not adictive- good joke !!! i ended up taking 20x50mg and 20x30mg codiene for about a year- i gave them up last september- i have been de-toxed many times from alcohol and from codiene in the past- it was nothing compared to coming off tramadol- the physical wd's were bad but the worst was the mental wd's - you got a tough fight ahead- but you can do this- you gotta really want this- it wont be fun- no point in dressing it up- everybody is different and reacts differently to drug wd's but i have yet to meet anyone who has come of a high dose of tramadol without a lot of pain- i dont want to sound so negative but you need to be aware of how you might feel- most important thing to remember is no matter how bad you feel it is down to the drugs- not you - it will get better- it could take 7-10 days- i hope it doesent take you that long but you gotta be aware its possible- its a mental battle- do not give in- take it one step at a time- drink loads of water- not alcohol- it'l react with the tramadol- 3 days out you still have some in your system- dont let anyone tell you tramadol has a short half life- its synthetic opiod with added properties that work on your brain like anti - depressants that why it is 'fun' to take - but this means you have to withdraw from both the opiod and the anti-depressant- hence the emotional effect it has on you - dont worry you can get through this- keep posting on here for support - its important you will need support in the next few days- stay strong - you only have to do this once-keep telling yourself that- do it right and your done with this c**p for good - best of luck - let us know if you need any help or advice- been where your at - not easy - but you can do it -
  • Posted

Coming off of Tramadol is extremely tough.  The withdrawals are horrible, and they last for weeks.  But it is possible to stop taking it for good.  I was dumb enough to do it twice.  The only way to come off of Tramadol is to slowly taper off a little at a time.  If you have withdrawals, coming off cold turkey feels nearly impossible.  One of the worst withdrawals is the extreme restlessness, making it nearly impossible to sleep for weeks.  Tramadol stays in your system for a long time.  You will need to taper off slowly until you are down to a half a pill a day.  Then you may need to take that 1/2 pill for over a week until you are albe to come off it 100% and not have bad withdrawal symtems.  Or you can see how long you can eventually go without taking a pill, and then only take a 1/2 pill when you feel the withdrawal systems coming back.  Again, tramadol stays in your system a long time.  This is not a quick process, but I promise, it's doable! 
  • Posted

I wanted to tell others my story regarding Comming off this drug nearly 5 years after staring it for lower back pain.

I'm currently 4 weeks into not taking any at all and apart from

Not sleeping very well on a night I'm having no other side effects at all! I reduced myself down 50mg every 4 to 6 weeks until I was only taking one 50mg at night I did that for about 6-7 weeks.. too scared I think to make the final break the first week after completely stopping I was fine just a bit anxious and didn't sleep very well at all. No one in my family or at work knew of my tramadol addiction but I needed it just to feel normal! When I knew I was taking the maximum dose and had been for a few months I'd take myslef back down gradually again and then work up again to the higher does but I never stopped altogether. I just want to say it is possible for anyone to do believe me if I can anyone can! It takes will power and you need to do it slowly and reduce the dose so the side effects are less harrowing... Go for it !!!

• Posted

This is great. I was only on tramadol for 2 weeks at 400mg a day. I thought coming off it would be fine as I had only taken it for 2 weeks well that was not the case I went into full scale withdrawal and had to go back on them. Iv been tapering then down week by week. I'm now on 300mg a week and my next reduction is tomorrow. I'm still having some symptoms hot flushes panic and feeling sick but nothing like the symptoms I had going cold turkey. I would recommend tapering as cold turkey is not only horrific but dangerous xx

• Posted

Hello I'm dealing?with the exact same thing.

I would only take tramadol for work due to pain. Management on my job I believe something's wrong with me.

I just stopped cold turkey today .I recently got bad pain that has started the second week of me taking tramodol. I need help.

• Posted

Hello my story is the same as yours I started to take Tramadol 5 years ago I’m on 50mg 8 tablets a day due to back pain. My doctor has said I shouldn’t be on the dose I’m on at my age of 30 but they help me get through my physical  work I take 2 at dinner time then at tea time and just before I go to bed. He’s cut my next prescription down by half which I’m not looking forward to having to deal with but I have to start somewhere once I’m off them I’m not sure what I’m guna do to control my back pain I get constantly. Is there anything to ease the symptoms that I face?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.