Tramadol Withdrawal

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi There

I'm not sure if anyone here can help. I saw some discussions on tramadol withdrawal on this site but it was from about 6 months ago so i'm just praying someone is still on who can help. Here is my story,

I began taking tramadol about 5 months ago for chronic pelvic pain. I had told my doctor i had some trouble becoming dependant on Vicodin in the past so instead she prescribed Tramadol saying that i would not become addicted if i follow the appropriate dosage. Well that didn't work because eventrually it made me feel so good and happy i took it for recreational purposes. I blew through all 90 pills in 7 days. I was taking up to 500mg a day but then they wouldn't refil my prescription for three more weeks so i would withdraw and then get right back on the tramadol once my prescription was up. This time, I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK. I stopped cold turkey Wednesday night at 9:30pm after taking my last 200mg and now it is Friday morning. I have some minor restless legs but i have NO ENERGY and i feel like LIFE TRULY SUCKS. I know that working out will help and eating might help and getting some excercise but get this, i actually came to my office job today. I figure that rather than call in i'll try to push through the last work day of the week. My 5 year old son comes home on Sunday afternoon so i want to do all that i can today and Saturday to at least get back to the point where i can care for him. Any suggestions on how to get out of this slump in the next two days would be grately appreciated. Nobody knows about this, not even my boyfriend. I'm just so afraid of being judged. I feel like anyone i tell will judge me and i feel like my boyfriend will run the other way if i tell him so i HAVE to do this alone. PLEASE HELP!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know you posted 3 years ago but i am in a similar situation. I got in a bad car accident and i started taking tramadol becuase i thought it was less likely to get addicted than tabs or perks but now im off of them cold turkey and i dont know how to get through this without suffering withdraw.
  • Posted

Hi, I had a bike accident and have had 4 surgeries since Feb 2018. I was put on Tramadol for 4 months. I decided to go cold turkey 3 weeks ago while I still had 100 pills so I had backup as my Doctors said he would not prescribe anymore. I am in a lot of pain 24 hours a day but feel I had to stop. I am only sleeping 3 hours a night being woken up with my legs jumping in the bed causing pain in my Stiched area. It is getting less painful but if you go cold turkey get ready for a rough time. This is the worst body aches and pain I have ever experienced in my life. But I am determined to not give up. Stay strong you can do it.
    • Posted

Wow, that's rough, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Why on earth would your doctor want to take you off completely if you're still in pain? You've had 4 surgeries since February 2018? What does he expect you to do for the pain? That seems way too harsh of him, He should've at least tried to taper it for you. Best of luck

• Posted

Hello there! I’m one of those people that was posting about 6 months ago. You were taking a lot of Tramadol & quitting cold turkey will most definitely give you some horrible w/d’s. 1st of all, I’m so sorry that you’re going through it; 2nd of all, you really shouldn’t quit cold turkey taking that amount (I’m sure you’re already well aware) but since you have no choice, my advice is to just stick with it. I promise you it will pass but it’s not going to be quick or easy. Don’t fight it. Keep your mind occupied; read books, watch movies, be around friends/family, take epsom salt baths. Keep reading these forums because reading about others going through it actually helps & you will find that you’re not going through it alone. Make an appt with your primary care doc & be completely honest about what you’re going through. Your doc will help you with ways to get through it. Mine did & others to whom I gave that same advice to also had docs that helped. Again, I’m one of those people who went through the withdrawals about 6 months ago. Actually, I starting posting sometime around last July. I won’t lie & tell you it will only take days. It took me a good 4 weeks before I started to feel better, and another few months for the anxiety to go away. I can proudly say that I got through it & I’m a much stronger person for going through it. I’m proud of myself for pulling through that horrible ordeal. I went months without any & now I can take a Tramadol & not worry about w/d’s because I take them sparingly & only on my worse days. I also gave my last prescription to my fiancé to hold onto so when I do need one I have to go through him. However, having gone through those w/d’s was the most miserable experience I’ve ever been through & I wouldn’t even want to go down that road again. I’m here to say that it will pass but to get to the other side you have to be strong enough to ride it out. One morning you will wake up & all of a sudden feel better. It’s a feeling that I can’t even explain, but it’s a wonderful feeling. I gets better... I PROMISE!!! Feel free to keep writing & please update on how you’re doing. Good luck & God bless!

• Posted

Hi all,

i just wanted to add that I was only taking Tramadol. I have found no deaths after hours of searching online where anyone was just taking Tramadol and died by going cold turkey. But for 4;weeks did I feel like I was dying ...YES.

i found many cases where people were also taking Heroin and a combination of other drugs either recreational and prescription that have died by going cold turkey.

i cannot recommend anyone go cold turkey but it worked for me. I still feel unwell like a flu passing through me but at 4 weeks in, i no longer feel like I am dying. 

Stay strong everyone. If I quit opioids you can for sure.

• Posted

Congrats to you for conquering that battle. It’s definitely a hard one to win, but it can be done. I went through it as well & it also took me 4 weeks to start feeling better; however, a slight anxiety stayed with me for a few more months. I’m happy to say that has also passed. I never want to experience that ever again. I commend you!

• Posted

Am happy for u,am also a victim also I started taking tramadol 4 yrs ago and I quite cold turkey my self am on my 8th day now the electric shock and blurred vision is gone but sometimes I still have restless legs and weak joint but have made up my mind to die than going back I wish everybody that's trying to stop the best of luck be strong and prayerful

• Posted

Hi all, I start week 4 cold Turkey tomorrow. I was in so much pain I drunk a lot to see if it helped, but I had a 2 day  hangover on TOP of the Tramadol Withdrawal. I am not drinking again until this is over. Still not sleeping much and the nights are worse than the days. I am taking Paracetamol, ibuprofen, vitamin C 5000mg, DHEA, Oregano oil (started today),  and St Johns Wort.

Thats my stack. Coffee in the mornings and then Green Tea and peppermint  Tea. Evenings Camomile tea at night. 

FYI I would usually sit at night with a few beers or some hard liquor before this accident, so if I can do this anyone can. Stay strong everyone.

• Posted

Hi.

I’m an ex opiate addict and have started taking 100mg of Tramadol each day to relieve my cold turkey withdrawals but feel I am now just prolonging the withdrawals with taking Tramadol. 

I did feel like it had no energy at work yesterday so I took 1 50mg Tramadol and could only just bear the work.

I woke up from broken sleep and felt drained so I took another 50mg capsule.

I really want to get off them as the withdrawals is exactly like coming off heroin....unbearable!

I work as a chef so need my energy and only get 1 day off a week.

Any suggestions on how I can get energy without taking anymore Tramadol or at least very little Tramadol?

• Posted

Hi, I would take 1/2 tab every 4-6 hrs to taper down. You'll still have some energy and the withdrawals wont be bad, or barely noticeable. You'll get a mix of your natural energy that the higher dose trams takes away (along with more of your natural emotions again) but will still have some of the "serotonin energy" from the half tram, if that makes sense. Something I tried this week to lower my doses, was to eat 1/2 to whole cup oatmeal a few times a day, especially first thing in am when waking. I eat it dry then drink a lot if water with it, but that can cause some mild stomach cramps eating it dry so you may want to soak it in water. I eat it dry because it seems to absorb the toxins from tram withdrawal really well dry, but make sure you drink a lot of water to not get dehydrated or it may be dangerous. Also, the oatmeal calms me and it makes me desire the trams less. Because of the insoluble fiber, it releases energy for several hours and I found stabilizes my moods.

I read that it can make meds stay in your system longer because of the way the fiber stays in your colon longer.A little orange juice or small amount of grapefruit juice may help but

Milk/high calcium products puts me in withdrawals sooner. I think it chelates meds out faster. Take care

• Posted

Hi, I added a calcium magnesium vitamin D and zinc Iiquid 2 tablespoons a day 3 days ago. I am still cold turkey and have not taken a Tramadol for 4 weeks now.

i woke up this morning and first realised it was nearly 5am, that means I slept for 7 hours. I have only been sleeping 3 hours a night since stopping Tramadol.

Then I realised my body only ached a bit so I did not take the usual paracetamol, ibuprofen breakfast ! Also no headache.

i really hope this is the first signs I am pulling through this after a month in hell. I will post again in a couple of days with an update. 

Stay strong everyone.

• Posted

Conquestador, that is awesome! I can't imagine going through that for 4 weeks..you are one strong guy or gal. If your sleeping 7 hours, I think you're definitely coming to the end. Yeah, Calcium /Magnesium plus D probably helped. I took magnesium liquid dose once and slept for hours. It may chelate meds out sooner, but if it works, do it! Congrats

• Posted

Ps...just read that Oatmeal can spike blood glucose levels so be careful if your diabetic. Also, be extra cautious with grapefruit juice, it can be dangerous with meds.
    • Posted

Got an early breakfast shift at work this morning and have taken these threads advice to taper off Tramadol so I took 2 50mg caps this morning and a vitamin b complex tab also. I’ve read that it can help boost energy and ease the withdrawals. 

Hopefully I’ll have an ok day today as I know I’ve got a 13hr shift tomorrow so may take the same again if I feel ok today.

Thanks for the advice and I’ll put oatmeal on the shopping list as well as magnesium and zinc supplement.

Cheers guys!

• Posted

Great.. Ps, too much magnesium at once can be deadly. Liquid magnesium is easiest on the stomach, ...pills cause nausea. Can also get "Magnesium oil " online and rub into skin...works the fastest/slept like a baby.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice!

Not sure if it’s psychological or the vitamin b supplement but I feel energised and pretty good like yesterday but only took 100mg Tramadol this morning unlike 150mg yesterday.

More workable advice from anyone else regarding kicking this opiate gremlin would be very gratefully received!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.