Tramadol withdrawal, I cannot deal with the insomnia

Posted , 6 users are following.

It’s 23:11 and soon to be day 5 of Tramadol withdrawals, I’d be taking it about 16 months 8x50mg daily, I was prescribed it for bulged discs and sciatica. But I grew tired of the panicked feeling of “ did I remember to pack my tablets” and the constant guilt of looking at my two kids knowing what I had to take to function. So ( probably not the smartest choice) but I just stopped, luckily on a Friday so my husband was around at the wknd but now I’ve had a total of 8 hours sleep in 4 days, my daughter has tonsillitis and my toddler is hard work, I would sell my soul for 5 hours sleep. I’ve decided to bite the bullet and take lyrica for the restlessness. If anyone has a similar story please tell me roughly when I will sleep again?  All the best xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte 

Sorry to hear the problems you are having.

Tramodol is a very strong and potent pain killer and effects everyone differently. I too was on it for a long time for back pain, I ended up needing surgery, eventually I could come off them but my GP and Consultant came up with a reduced way to help me off them. So going cold turkey like you have done I would imagine you will be looking at 2/3 weeks before you will stop having the cravings for them.

As a suggestion are you taking any other form of pain releife like parectemol or brufen?? If not try taking some for a few weeks it will help your body’s pain receptors, I would also suggest before going to bed have something to eat like toast and butter it can sometimes help with cravings.

I hope this helps and you get the sleep you need, and I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Buggsy

• Posted

Thanks bugssy that was helpful to hear I had to take 3x pregabalin to stop the restless leg syndrome and then I slept solidly for 6 hours!!!! I woke up so happy. I despise Tramadol and never ever will go near it again. So it’s officially day 5 and I think I’m over the worst... thank goodness! 

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, 

Firstly well done on 5 days smile 

Please be careful taking pregabalin instead, you may just be swapping one tablet for the other and having seen someone withdraw from pregabalin its worse than opiates. 

I went cold turkey in November last year, just completely stopped taking codeine and tramadol and im not going to sugar coat it, it was hell, especially for the first 5-6 days. I also have a young child and I have never felt so bad in my life going through the withdrawal. I had a terrible stomach, sweats, restless leg, insomnia, the works, however each day I had short periods where I felt better and I knew I was getting there. You have two choices you now either carry on cold turkey if you think you can I know its hard with kids but you've come this far, or you have to taper down and this may take several weeks. Don't give up whichever option you choose. 

I found magnesium salt crystals in a hot bath before bed helped my legs enough to drop me off to sleep and just plenty of water.

I was taking my medication for medical conditions for 6 years so don't less this knock you back. After 2 weeks I pretty much felt back to normal, I know this feels like a lifetime away but you are so close to 7 days it will be here in no time. I have never touched another tablet again and 8 months down the line I have my life and energy back. 

Good luck x 

• Posted

Thank you dawn, don’t worry the pregabalin is just being used in an emergency situation, last night I just felt like a zombie and even after those 6 magnificent hours sleep, I still feel totally drained, my body has a lot of catching up to do,   You mentioned you were on opioids for 6 years? That must of been horrific coming off them and my heart goes out to you! Well done for steering clear too. 

Withdrawals are cruel and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I’ve wiped my hands of them and I feel free... tired, but definitely free lol xx

• Posted

Hi, old post I know but im just wondering how you progressed?

im day 13 of no tramadol and im still suffering badly, insomnia & anxiety being the worst. Can you tell me how long it lasted for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.