Tramadol withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Tramadol for many months. Initially to help with the pain from osteoarthrittis in my knees and laterly for the pain after the replacement of my left knee. Tramadol has been a good painkiller but in the past I had noticed a nasty effect of little tingling sensations in my joints, mostly my lower arms and wrists which kept me awake for ages. No matter how I moved my arms or hands I could not get rid of the annoying feathery tingling feelings. I finally realised that these effects cameif I missed the late morning, afternoon and evening doses.

I had a word with my pharmacist who suggested going on to the slow release version of Tramadol and confirmed that as it effects the brain, missing doses may well cause problems. Anyway, I have been on 2 x 150mg per day of the slow release Tramadol for some months and topping up if necessary with 'ordinary' 50mg capsules if I needed it which mostly I didnt. Since my knee replacement I have very much reduced pain and my doctor said last week that I should stop the Tramadol. In fairness I cannot remember if I was told to just stop taking them, which I think I was, or told to reduce them.

I was a little worried knowing what had happened beofre and said to my GP about the symptoms I had experienced before but my GP suggested they may well be psychological and I accpetd that. However the night of day one without Tramadol was awfull. The old feathery tingling feelings in the arms were back with occasionally the same feelings in my legs. I didn't get as much as two hours sleep that night. Of course in the morning I felt awful and had a really bad day. The night of day two was as bad and halfway through night three I had to give in and take two 50mg capsules which eventually allowed me a night of sleep.

Having spent quite a while now researching Tramadol withdrawal sypmtoms I now know that my story is the same as a many many other people. Tramadol is not a drug you can just stop taking though none of the notes that come packaged in the box mention any problems at all when stopping taking the drug. Some of the known side effects are however similar.

I am not a conspiricy theorist but there is a LOT of anecdotal evidence out there about problems for some people with Tramadol. Anyway, first thing tomorrow I am going back to my GP to discuss how to get of Tramadol.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You make a very good point about Tramadol and I agree completely. I speak with experience from someone who has taken Tramadol for many years daily with periods of not taking it. If you have been taking it daily, particularly at higher doses or with multiple dosing, you need to gradually titrate the dose down to come off it. If you stop suddenly, there's a real risk of unpleasant withdrawal effects. I don't believe this is related to the opiate effects of the drug entirely, but rather it's other effects on the brain (serotonin and noradrenaline). It's similar to coming off an anti-depressant drug. You can't just suddenly stop these either without withdrawal effects.
  • Edited

I was taking 8 50mg tramadol a day for nearly 2 years, along with morphine.....i came off morphine first, which was fairly easy because of the tramadol I was taking.....i cut my tramadol down to 1 a day, this was over the course of about a month....nothing could've prepared me for what was about to come after stopping the last tablet.....the symptoms started fairly quick, sneezing, runny nose then my legs kept twitching & keeping them still was impossible but the hardest thing was the 9 straight nights of insomnia.....the exhaustion got so bad, I was thinking of ways I could kill myself, just so I wouldn't have to suffer anymore....but to all of you that are in the process of withdrawal, please stick with it.....it really does get better, I have been clean for 16 weeks & have never felt better......my addiction was due to a spinal problem, which has now been corrected with surgery & the only thing I take now is ibuprofen, if I really need it....so believe In yourself, the human mind & body is unbelievably strong....best wishes to you all
  • Posted

One thing I would like to add to this thread, which is being discussed in detail in other theads here on Tramadol withdrawal, is the mental withdrawal symptoms of coming off Tramadol.

These could be any of the normal isted symptoms on thepatient leaflet (lethargy/low energy/tiredness, low mood/irritability, difficulty concentrating, anxiety, lack of interest/motivation, confusion or disorientation/random thoughts, excessive worrying and possibly even suicidal thoughts).

It's been said and discussed (and this is a very important point to consider for anyone withdrawing from Tramadol experiencing any of the above mental symptoms or anything else unusual, that if you're experiencing any of these symptoms MONTHS OR YEARS after coming off Tramadol, and have never been diagnosed with depression or any other mental health disorder, then there's a distinct possibility you may have undiagnosed depression or another mental health disorder. Because Tramadol acts on Serotonin (and works effectively and similarly to how anti-depressants do) that if you do have an undiagnosed mental health illness, the Tramadol may have been masking the symptoms, while you were on it. And once you withdrew, the symptoms just came more apparent, or in some cases, more severe and difficult to cope with.

If this sounds like you, and you're experiencing the mental symptoms after being off Tramadol for quite some time, then give serious thought to discussing with your GP about the possibility you may have an undiagnosed and pre-existing depression or mental health condition which requires treatment. Don't suffer in silence or try to self-medicate. Speak to your GP and possibly seek a referal for a clinical diagnosis and the proper treatment.

• Posted

I would like to add that regardless of having taken tramadol in the past or not if you have any of these symptons go to the GP/MD anyway. As said above they are symptons of mental health problems and there is help available, depression and anxiety are very common so please don't suffer in silence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.