TRAMODOL and Paracetmol

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went to the doctors today. She had give patches to put on my back but I saw the physiotherapst who said my pain was deep inside and gave me a tens machine. It works but if I take it off my pain comes back. I fractured the lower vertebrae after a fall. I am on tramodol and asked whether she might prescribe a stronger pain killer. I didn't think she would say yes. I was on Tramodol at first to use when  required then \i went on Tramodol regulary. My GP has now added Paracetamol I think 500mgs 2 tablets 4 times a day as she says this helps the tramodol to work better. I am too on antidepressants but my GP seems quite happy for me to continue on Tramodol. I am not too sure how Tramodol and antidepressants work by both my 2 GPs seem to be happy with this situation. I wonder if anyone has been prescribed Tramodol and then added Paracetamol to make the Tramodol work better. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had this combination. Tramodol does not help but my GP says with Paracetamol it will act better.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jeanette, I don't know how long or if you will get better (hope so),I have had spinal stimulation surgery, in a nutshell a nine year battery with memory implanted in My bum cheek and wires in my spine, a very powerful tens machine that is on some or all the time and recharged and controlled wirelessly etc, if any help let me know and I will gladly tell all,back to sleep for me 😀
    • Posted

Golly you had a much worse time than me. I don't know much about tens machines If you could tell me what you use I would be grateful. I have the one used by the NHS medifit duall channelled tens machine on trial from the surgery. If you have time please let me know which one you are using. The physiotherapist said I was to wear it for 1 and a half hour and take it off for half an hour. I just use it when I go out but if I am walking without it on I can only walk about 100 yards and the pain just gets worse.

Thank you for replying and if you can let me know which machine you are using I would be very grateful. I am not sure but if you mention a product your reply has to go through some form of investigation before it can be posted. If that is the case I would understand that it might be awkward but thank you again.

• Posted

If the Tramadol isn't helping, please don't stay on it! Your body will come dependent on it quiet quickly and then you may have difficulty trying to get off this drug, with withdrawals that can mimic the pain you have!

Why not preserver with the Tens machine for longer, it may help after a while, not sure about Tens, but may look I to this myself!

All I know is, Trams are a nasty drug, and the withdrawals are horrible, and long drawn, as I'm going through withdrawal now!

whatever you decide, do lots of research as Doctors are very vague when it comes to long term use of drugs!

• Posted

Completely agree with this. I've been tramadol free now for 7 years. It never helped my pain but I kept taking them because they were prescribed and also they gave me boundless energy and it meant I could get lots done despite the pain. But had I known how difficult they were to come off and how withdrawing from them can give you serious rebound depression (I am now on anti depressants because of this), then I would never have put one in my mouth. Now I take codiene and find them much more effective and less addictive. I am very careful though and only take them when the pain is unbearable, so once every few days. The rest of the time I use paracetamol.
    • Posted

I didnt know about rebound depression. I stop taking Tramadol and Gabapentin months ago but mentally have not felt "right" since. Feelings of hopelessness for no reason. I have no reason to feel depressed but for some reason I do.
    • Posted

That is because you are still in withdrawal. Your receptors in the brain are till repairing and the feeling "not right" is the reason. The receptors are being up-regulated, and this can take up to 2 years, depending on how long you have been on drugs that effect the brain and, of course, your uniqueness of healing, as no one is the same!

you will have windows where you feel you again, only to have a wave of not feeling right" just try and be patience, you will feel ok in time! xx

• Posted

I also agree with this. It's worth pointing out that 10% or so of the population do not convert tramadol correctly and so do not get the desired pain relief. If it does not work come off it and ask to try something else. Codeine may also not work if you are a bad converter of tramadol but you won't know until you try.

Don't forget all the strong pain killers are addictive so use with caution.

• Posted

I was never told about Tramadol and it was only when I found out I went back to the doctor who said as I was just using occasionally it was very unlikely that I would get addicted. I am now on Tramodol regularly I honestly just don't know. I asked for stronger pain killer but my doctor was not going down that way. I am now taking Tramodol regulary and with Paracetamol and a tens machine so I suppose I just have to get on with it It is so hard when you have a ten minute appointment at a surgery to explain how you feel and at my surgery you have to wait two weeks if you want to see a certain doctor. My doctor is a young lady and seems to know what she is doing. She is also asked about how I felt as she said chronic pain can affect your mood and I am on quite a lot of tablets for depression.
    • Posted

Hi I suffer with small fiber neuropathy. I get alot f buzzing, tingling and burning pain. I take 300 mgs Lyrica which doesnt help. If it is helping I dont know about it. I still have so much pain and burning. My PM Doc gave me Tramadol for "break thru" pain. I have pain and flares everyday. I try not to take Tramadol everyday because Im afraid Ill get addicted. I endure the pain and try to skip a few days in-between taking it (I on take 50-75mgs when I do)..Plus it does not help as much as it should. Maybe its because Im ona low dose. I cant go much higher, It gives me chest pains and lowers my BP. Isnt Paracetamol like Tynenol? How does this help the Tramadol?  Could I get addicted on Tram the way Im takig it? The WD scares me. I do not want Narcotics either. There is no medication to help with this kind of pain. Can anyone please help. Neurotin gives me palpations. Tryed, Cymbalta. Elavil, Topamax, other antsiezure meds. Nothing left for me to try..Depressed in LI NY
    • Posted

I honestly dont see the point of taking Tramadol if it doesnt help with the pain. Also have you mentioned to your dr that its giving you chest pains?

Remember that "addicted" and "dependent on" are two different things. All these painkillers are so strong that you are going to be dependent on them and when the time comes you will have to wean yourself off of them as your body will have come to depend on them. It's hard but thats the way it is. I wish I had an answer for you. For myself, trying all the hardcore painkillers did not help and going back to basics (heat, relaxation, pilates, Tens) whilst by no means ideal, has helped more and my brain is not so tormented. I hope you find an answer to it all. If you need painkillers you need them but dont become dependent on a drug that doesnt work for you.

• Posted

Having Tramadol, with antidepressant and Paracetamol is a cocktail of drugs on the brain and body. Antidepressant is also a drug that is hard to come off for a lot of people. Doctors, I find haven't got a clue what long term damage these drugs do!

try and go down the alternative root to help you with your pain, I know it's hard as I have Fibromyalgia, and am doing tapering at the moment from Tramadol.

Using occasionally over a period of time, in my opinion, the body and brain still gets dependant on the strong opiate. 

It's seems that we are a nation of drug users keeping the Big Parma in business!

Doctors don't want to talk to you about alternative, natrual ways of dealing with pain. It's sad, because you won't get alternative remedies from doctors. You have to do your own research for that.

I do hope you find a natrual way and get off these nasty drugs xxx

• Posted

Thank you Ruth. I think my husband is quite concerned at the amount of Paracetamol I will have to take. I take a lot of drugs due to my mental illness so I think I have actually got to the stage where I take what the doctor says. I have been extremely unwell for 30 years starting with postnatal depression and I am now 62. Thankfully I am a Christian and that helps me so it could be worse when I see other people who too have very serious disabilities. Just as a matter of interest I have Barretts osepnagitis and cysts in my stomach and I have prescribed medication but it is an alternative drug which really helps. There are some very good alternative medications Thank you
    • Posted

I sometimes wonder it being on these meds have contributed to feeling worst than when we start putting these pills in our mouths. I hate being labeled with a certain illness. I believe we can heal almost most things alternatively with what we eat and drink, alternative meds, and of course, prayer and allowing God to heal. It was my Heavenly Father who suggested to get off ALL meds, it was interfering with my connection to God and it changes the brain chemicals and my feelings are so numb!

I'm starting another taper on my Trams today for another week, so relying on God for help!

Blessings Ruth x

• Posted

Hi TY for your response. I do understand the differences between being addicted and dependent. I do not have an "addictive personality". I still can't understand the difference when it comes time  to weaning off the medication (Tramadol). The withdrawal is the same and just as bad. 

Tab, what do you suffer from? I dont think , cold, TENS, help with Neuropathic pain. I wish there was something (a treatment) that would help with buzzing, pins & needles, burning pain. Unfortunately I have to rely on drugs like Lyrica and Tramadol. What is Paracetamol? Isnt it acetaminophen? why is it a "big deal" in this thread to take it with Tramadol. And why Paracetamol? Whats wrong with plain old Tylenol?

Thanks,

Marie

• Posted

I am guessing you are from the US, Marie. I have no idea what Tylenol is...but the "ol" at the end makes me think it has paracetamol in it. have a look at the back of the pack. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.