Tranexamic Acid???

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 13 years old and started my periods nearly 2 years ago but after 20 months my periods still hadn't settled down. I used to come on sometimes after a few days it had just finished and the very heavy bleeding usually lasted from the first day to 2 days before it finished, and seeing that my periods lasted 7-9 days, sometimes even 11, loose a lot of blood. I went to the doctor in June as I had started to faint randomly without any warning at school, but the worst happened 2 months ago when I blacked out at the top of the stairs and fell all the way down bruising my back. My mum took me to the doctor and she suggested a blood test to check it wasn't iron-deficiency anaemia causing the dizzy spells and black-outs. A week later, I went back and found out that my iron levels were very low and I was prescribed iron tablets for 3 months. I took one twice a day and although I regularly had to reduce the intake from 2 tablets a day to 1 a day and even then to 1 every other day, as they caused me to have constipation, then diarrhoea and often stomach cramps and nausea, I kept going . I went back to the doctors yesterday to have another blood test and will get the results tomorrow or the day after. But the doctor prescribed me tranexamic acid to take 3 a day during my period only. But from what the other posts say on this page, many have been taking TA when not on periods:?:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also have really low iron levels and I take Spatone - it's a natural water from Wales that has naturally high iron levels in it that's the equivalent to a large amount of broccoli (2lb?) and a high amount of Spinach and if taken with fruit juice, one sachet should be enough to provide your daily allowance. I've not had any side effects from this and because I find tablets diff to swallow it was ideal for me! If you drink it on its own or with water, it tastes almost like blood so it's better if it's diluted in fruit juice with q a strong flavour like cloudy apple juice or orange juice, to disguise it's taste.
  • Posted

I have been prescribed Tranexamic Acid too for heavy periods and was told to take them as soon as my periods starts. They're 500 mg tablets which I have to take two of, three times a day for three to four days.

I took them for the first time last week and my period, which normally can run for about 8 days , lasted 4. In the first two days I normally have to wear tampons and towels and have to changed every hour, but this time it was nowhere near as often. I was really surprised by the difference they made.

The down side is that they did make me feel a little queasy and although I didn't have diarrhoea, I felt the way you do when you're going to have it. That said, I think its worth putting up with a couple of days feeling queasy than getting caught short when I'm out and having to restrict my life because of my periods. I exercise and swim 3 times a week and used to have to miss out on the week of my period, now I can go all the time.

• Posted

[Hi Nikki I have just read your comments and had to reply - I am nearly 40 and started my periods at the age of 14 and like you I have alsways had heavy periods and thought it was normal - 5 years ago I had my daughter and afterwards felt so tired I kept going to the doctor to see if there was anything they could do for me - I kept having tests for my Iron levels and they kept coming back as normal I eventually contacted a nutritionist who advised me to go back to the doctor and ask for my ferritin levels to be checked (this is your reserves of iron and they were incredibly low) I now take an iron citrate supplement which is alot more genlt on your stomach, easily absorbed and doesn't give me constipation. I also take tranexamic acid for the 3 heavy days of my period and it does make my tummy a little bit upset but the two together have made such a big difference to my life. But the reason I wanted to respond was to say dont suffer at your age - take all the help you can and dont dread the time of the month as it can really affect your life. If you feel things are still not right persist with your doctor and get more help. Life is for living not to spend a week a month dreading going out in case you have an accident or not being able to swim or do the activities you love - I hope this helps Good Luck Natalie quote=\"nikki94\"]I'm 13 years old and started my periods nearly 2 years ago but after 20 months my periods still hadn't settled down. I used to come on sometimes after a few days it had just finished and the very heavy bleeding usually lasted from the first day to 2 days before it finished, and seeing that my periods lasted 7-9 days, sometimes even 11, loose a lot of blood. I went to the doctor in June as I had started to faint randomly without any warning at school, but the worst happened 2 months ago when I blacked out at the top of the stairs and fell all the way down bruising my back. My mum took me to the doctor and she suggested a blood test to check it wasn't iron-deficiency anaemia causing the dizzy spells and black-outs. A week later, I went back and found out that my iron levels were very low and I was prescribed iron tablets for 3 months. I took one twice a day and although I regularly had to reduce the intake from 2 tablets a day to 1 a day and even then to 1 every other day, as they caused me to have constipation, then diarrhoea and often stomach cramps and nausea, I kept going . I went back to the doctors yesterday to have another blood test and will get the results tomorrow or the day after. But the doctor prescribed me tranexamic acid to take 3 a day during my period only. But from what the other posts say on this page, many have been taking TA when not on periods:?:[/quote] smile
  • Posted

Wow you only take 3 tranexamic acid pills a day for the first 3 days of your period?

I've gotta take 6. :O

I tried mefenamic acid but they put me in even more pain from periods rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.