tranexamic acid

Posted , 3 users are following.

smile I have been taking tranexamic acid since October 2008. I take 3 (500 mg) tablets 4 times a day. I have not had bad side effects -indijestion mostly - I just hate taking so many tablets. I have suffered continuous sometimes very heavy bleeding for a couple of years. I take a good food supplement and 3 iron (food state so they don't constipate) tablets each day. The tranexamic acid stops the bleeding and after a week or so free from bleeding I reduce the dose and then stop it altogether. I then have a fairly normal period which if it does not stop after 8 days I start taking the tranexamic acid again, I also start taking the tranexamic acid again if the bleeding gets too scary and it usually normalises or stops within 3 days. I have spoken to a friend who helped developed this drug and he says that it is very well tested and has been around for a long time. The alternative for me is depo-provera injections - bad indijestion or loss of calcium and maybe weight gain - maybe I'll stick with the acid!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

:roll: hi dont take the depo injection they tried it with me and it was a nightmare i put onloads of weight and it just didnt work it also took 6 months for my periods to regulate afterwards now ive been put on tranexamic acid to stop the heavy periods 15 days on im still bleeding but feel better
  • Posted

[quote:c0e6099d54=\"shirs\"]:roll: hi dont take the depo injection they tried it with me and it was a nightmare i put onloads of weight and it just didnt work it also took 6 months for my periods to regulate afterwards now ive been put on tranexamic acid to stop the heavy periods 15 days on im still bleeding but feel better[/quote:c0e6099d54]

:oops:

i am on depo provera injection and for three months i have been having light period. i was prescribed tranexamic acid by my gp, but was afraid to use the medicine bcos of side effect. could anyone advice me if this medicine is safe to use. thanks

• Posted

You wont know until you try it Hun.

I would give it a go; not everyone get the side effects, if you do then stop it but you have nothing to loss but try it first, this has to be better than horrid heavy periods doesn't it? :?:

• Posted

I Have been on the depo, i had spotting the whole time the first jab then i didn't go back for 2nd.

I spoke a few months later to nurse and she said try again the 2nd jab might stop the bleeding.

Did the first jab and same again, went back 3 months later for second and still same till it came out my system.

I won't have it again.

Not everyone reacts the same to the depo, so i wouldn't rule it out if you've not tried it, i know plenty of women on it and also my daughter who only get slight spotting when next jab is due or none at all.

I didn't gain weight and neither did my daughter.

I am now on Tranexamic, first time i have used it as my monthlys are like someones turned a tap on!!!

Hoping it does me some good a same happened to my Mum and hse had a hysterectomy at 39, i am 36.

Fingers crossed it does the job!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.