Tranexamic Acid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone have expeirence with transexamic acid?

My doctor prescribed it to me several months ago after a particularly bad period.  She gave me enough for a week's worth of does, but the bleeding seemed to lessen after that, so I haven't taken it.

Last month I practically bled from period to period.  Then had four days of peace, then this current period started and has been much heavier than normal.  I'm on day 10 and today and for the last three days I've had incidents of heavy clots and flooding passing at work.  I can't really deal with that because I'm a teacher and can't just walk out of class to head to the bathroom, so I'm always afraid it's going to go through my clothes and cause a scene.  

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking the pills.  I have an appointment next week for a biopsy.  We attempted it months ago but she couldn't get her sample.   Then I had an appointment just as my current period started and had to reschedule.  If the bleeding doesn't stop the doctor won't do the test and without the test she won't go any further in terms of helping me with this fibroid situation.  

The information with the pills is a little scary.  Has anyone had these before?  I'm hoping that the success rate is good and there won't be side effects, but I'm always hesitant to take anything.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was on the pills for about a year to control heavy bleeding. The only reason I stopped taking them was because I became pregnant and did not have to deal with the heavy periods for nine months. I then started birth control after my delivery & taking both is not recommended. I later had a myomectomy about 6 months after my baby so my heavy periods stopped.

I had a GREAT experience with the pills. You have to take them the moment your period starts and take them as directed after that in order to control the bleeding. I had to take them each month during my period only. I am a teacher also & they totally saved my life and career. Fibroids seem to be back a year and a half after my surgery with no symptoms yet. If the heavy bleeding starts back, I will request the meds again.

Let me know if you have any other questions

• Posted

Yes, it was good . . .remember this is not a hormone preparation so doesn't have the side effects associated with hormones . .. I found I felt slightly less grotty during my periods, sightly fewer migraines and I think a lighter flow . . . so whilst everyone has a different response to a drug I would recommend it . . . perhaps try it on a non work day first so you can monitor if there are any side effects you don't like or can't deal with.

• Posted

These pills also saved me!  I took them only during my period, which was a nightmare on day 1 to 3, not sure if this is the recommended. I don't like taking medication but this is the only thing that worked. For me, i ended up having to take them about 3 every 5 hours or so.  I had no side effects. 

• Posted

Hi I took them over 10 years ago so can't remember too much except they did help for quite awhile for heavy bleeding and clots. I don't remember any side effects as I was quite happy in them. But enviably as things progrssess and menorrhagia was worsening I needed an Endometrial Ablation.

Hopefully someone else will have more information. I feel for you with the worrying when at work it's not the best situation to be in.

• Posted

Tranexamic Acid saved my life.  I took this and Utovolan (Norethisterone) for over a year as this was the only way I could leave the house on my heavy days.  I don't remember any side effects and I typically took Utovolan to delay my period (so heavy days fell on weekends) and took Tranexamic Acid to control the flow and cramps on these days.  I was pretty strict and only took TA for the first four days of my period, as these were the heaviest.  No idea of the long-term side effects but between multiple iron infusions and blood transfusions - I was pretty desperate.

• Posted

I took it and it helped slow the bleeding down. The only side effect I had was easy brusing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.