transition from child to adult mental health

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm an OT student and I just wondered what people experience have been from transitioning from child mental health to adult mental health?

Thanks

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

II am not sure if this will help but I have anxiety all my life. As a child i used to twist my hair in knots and pull it out as a way of relieving stress (Trichotillomania) I had a big bald patch on the side of my head.

I continued anxious into adult life and now have chronic anxiety (GAD)

I can only say that as life has progressed the anxiety has only worsened and is now severe. I wake up severly anxious in a lot of emotional pain and suicidal.

I canot afford therapy which I am desperate to get but feel that it has gone on too long to be treated.

• Posted

don't they have sliding fee scales pay what you can in the UK?
    • Posted

Oh I see what you mean now the transition from child to adult mental health services. I never had mental health help untill I was 25 so have no experience as a child. I grew up in Cork Ireland and there was not openess about my problems then and never saw any professionals as a child, I suffered in silence. I would not have been aware of services and stuff like that was never discussed in the family as my alcoholic dad overtook the family. It was very dysfunctional and abusive so my mother was not able to see there was a big problem with any of the children as she was overwhelmed with him and his behaviour.

Yes I will be seeking out sliding scale therapy here in London, I was told about it a few weeks ago but never went through with it. I am insomniac now but took a valium so will try get some sleep soon.

Good luck with your training

• Posted

wow WalterMcDonald, you have a childhood similar to mine. You also grew up in Cork Ireland, so you are Irish? I am also Irish, auburn/red head. My parents were from a Catholic religion, I am NOW a Christian tho obviously my "religious" background is Catholic. I am also a survivor of Parent,family abuse physical and ?incest and a survivor of Priest Abuse by a bishop and ? my cousin, now an EX priest. So abuse is VERY much part of my past which is why I developed D.I.D. Alcohol was VERY much a part of my past with the abuse. I am in therapy I am on disability so coverage is so-so-so. 
    • Posted

Yes I'm Irish but I now live in London and want nothing to do with Ireland or being part of the Irish community.

Ireland is a bad memory for me and I do not have fond memories of the homeland. I hate the culture, the people and the catholic church.

I am angry and resentful of the experience and it left me feeling very bad.

• Posted

I am sorry I did not mean at all to bring up any bad memories or feelings
    • Posted

It seems that there are a few people in the UK on this forum that are angry
    • Posted

No you didn't, the bad memories are always there.

People with terrible experiences like you (sexual abuse) often develop BPD and PTSD.

D.I.D seems very complex. Is it treatable. Have you got a few identities?

• Posted

Yes there is a lot of anger around and a lot of male depression has anger at it's core.

We are very angry and we drink too much.

Are you in the US MK?

• Posted

so you know what D.I.D. is, that is good because when I tell the medical professional people that is what I have they ask what is that. I tell them that in case when I have a procedure they are not surprise if I become different
    • Posted

YES I have many various personalities inside and I switch often. MANY years ago it was THOUGHT that I have Schitzophrenia and I just was retested again just to recheck since the two are like twins. you CAN have both but they ARE different in and of themselves, but for one like me who has D.I.D. it is PAINFUL to say the least and integration or fusion is MOST difficult because the alters are NOT giving up the information in regards to the incest issue and i struggle with suicide and almost did it a week and two ago. My pastor for the most part understands my different alters and has talked to them those that he could talk to. I also have a 3 yr old that is always on the top along with a handful of adult and kid alters. At 60 yrs it has been very difficult to deal with lately. NO one who has D.I.D. wants to have this, that is what my therapist said although he said given the choice of schitzophrenia vs D.I.D. he would choose D.I.D. because for most eventually when fusion or integration occurs then one is mostly healed schitzophrenia has a poor prognosis, medicines can help but its most difficult. Mulitples CAN and do SOMETIMES get healed but it So difficult if alters are struggling
    • Posted

How does it work? When do the different personalities show their face. Could I be talking to you and then the other one comes in or is there a pattern of having a personality for days or weeks or can thay coexist?
    • Posted

The other personalities can be triggered, usually there are and handful all the time listening and observing and on the ready if they sense the body is in trouble or being attacked and they may or may not respond depending. My 3 yr old child part is always up and ready. I MK is primarily up and M is up and teenagers and older alters are up. They have their antenna/radar up all the time to be ready to protect all the time. There can be certain patterns and they don't always understand everything that goes on from others to me. Some are protectors and they will protect the body. An alter can be there for hours or a day or more then will "go down" Most of the time they are just watching and listening to be ready if they need to step up to the front There is co-conscious where a couple are there at the same time, sometimes alters will let me know when they have been up but sometime they will not tell me when they have been up but I usually can tell based on how I feel. alters have a way of leaving bodily feelings like seizures which I have when some alters have POWERFUL feelings and WANT to be there and surface and it is VERY intense and knocks me out for a time during the seizure an alter or more has surfaced talked had their say and then that's it and I know or suspect and I am told yes, someone or a couple was were there from my therapist or my pastor tell me. It is scary and frightening. My 3 yr old is a delight and everyone likes that alter. My pastor and therapist like the other alters and invite them to be there. It really all depends on the day, my surrounding, etc
    • Posted

Sorry, what I meant is that none of the personalities are against you or telling you bad things. It's not like people with psychosis with a voice telling them to do bad things or that they are bad people.
    • Posted

ah, yes, certain alters ARE against me and DO reenforce bad negative messages I used to get from my family and some of these alters have their own negative messages and some suggest suicide strongly 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.