transitioning from low residue to high fiber

Posted , 4 users are following.

would love to get some ideas on how to move from low residue to high fiber... how much and how often do u add fiber?...... i have heard from others here that metamucil and other supplements help with this but had anyone been able to manage flareups by diet alone?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I manage my flares by not eating high-fiber!

I limit the fiber that I eat to soluble fiber only as much as I can and I stay away from insoluble fiber as much as I can.Anytime I try to add high fiber to my diet I ended up with a flare. This works for me. I haven't had a flare in 16 months. Not one twinge.

• Posted

Think you might have something there, all my adult life I've had a high fibre diet which l enjoyed & thought would keep me healthy. Last August l was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia & this April with diverticular disease. I am better on a low fiber which seems to go against much of the advice given by Drs. Am still learning though & we all seem different in the things we can tolerate. Seeds & grains are a complete no go for me.

• Posted

very interesting jasmine.... sad part is it's all trial and error... I am terrified of trying a product for fear of becoming constipated which has never in my life been a problem... trying to add with foods which is very challenging... glad to hear u have found something that works!

• Posted

I think the general consensus among medical community is this disease is caused  by:  overweight, sedentary, lack of fiber in the diet all of their life and age.  I have been slim all of my life, thought I ate a good amount of fiber, and active.  First onset was approx. agee 55 so the age thing fits.  I was also told to increase my fiber to stop the irritation.  Here's my take on it:  Pockets are there, eating more fiber won't make them go away, that ship has sailed!  No cure other than bowel resection.  Eating a lot of fiber irritates my colon and eventually leads to a flare.  I honestly don't care what the medical community says.  The thread running through many, but not all, of the posts, point to adding high fiber to the diet causes more problems than not.  As I've said in many of these posts, I limit the fiber and use a dose of an osmotic laxative every day - the laxative is gentle and works in the intestine only - drawing water into your bowel movement to make it easier to pass.  I swear by this stuff.  

• Posted

It draws water from your body into your intestine to make the stool softer. Magnesium does the same thing. If you do a search on osmotic laxatives you'll be able to see what it does.

• Posted

I have albran brown and probiotic drink seams to work most times for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.