transitioning from paroxetine to Mirtazapine - please share any encouraging experiences

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and am hoping some of you may be able to tell me positive stories that can allay my fears. As a result of major depression after having my first child, I've been on paroxetine for about 10 years, mostly only around 10 mg/day, intermittently 20 when I've had bad episodes, which have been getting more frequent over the years. (I also see a therapist - that's ongoing.) Recently a series of very tough life events sent me back into a major depression, with suicidal wishes, and the various people I've seen - don't ask me exactly who, I get very confused about the different roles of various NHS mental health professionals - have advised a change to Mirtazapine. The thought is that the paroxetine has probably stopped working, plus I have constant sleeping difficulties with which Mirtazapine should help. I start 15 mg/day Mirtazapine on Monday and after a week of that along with my normal 10 mg paroxetine, I drop out the paroxetine, and a week later we review the Mirtazapine dosage. I've been warned, and read, that when you first start Mirtazapine you can be VERY sleepy. To be honest I wouldn't mind this for a while, I have a big sleep debt to make up, but I' wouldn't want it to go on too long. I know no drug suits everyone so please if Mirtazapine's not suited you don't tell me as I'm scared about the change already! But if you have a positive story please do tell me as then I'll feel less scared. Thank you for any support and help.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alison , hope you'll be in a good state of mind soon once your on Mirtazipine. I think that 15mg will be good for you and im glad your being reviewed a wk later. I was put on 30mg some 7-8yrs ago for Major Depression 2yrs later i was put on 60mg and stayed on that dose for another 5yrs and then 5-6mths ago i reduced back to 30mg. I havn't had any issues with Mirtazapine over the entire past 7-8yrs. I do suffer from Insomnia over the past 7wks but this is due to the Withdrawals from coming off Zyprexa Wafers 7wks ago. As far as Mirtazapine goes you should be fine hopefully . Hope all goes well in next wk for you, take care and best wishes. Lloyd from Oz

• Posted

Hi ive been on mitrazapine for about a year i felt it worked for a short period of time only then they kept upping the dose i put on over 2 stone on mitrazapine so now im tapering off im down to 15mg. Im so so sleepy on 15mg so i take at night. Everyones different so it could work for you but too be honest a lot of people have been not liking it at all n trying too come off it. One thing i will tell u is that do not drink alcohol in it maybe just me but i found i was terrible depressed days after n anxiety thru the roof. Im now tapering off n hardly tough alcohol now just a 2 spritzers occasionally n im doing ok so with me i certainly feel better not having too much alcohol anymore x hope this helps x
    • Posted

I am down from 45 to 30 and more wired than tired.

How long have you been on 15.....were you sleepy on the higher doses ?

• Posted

More sleepier the more i taper i went down from 45mg to 30mg for 6 weeks noe down again too 15mg 2 weeks x
    • Posted

Are you getting any withdrawal symptoms. I am tapering slowely and am getting some.
    • Posted

No im not getting any so far been tapering about 7 weeks now i think hows u been getting on x
    • Posted

I have taken 2 months to go from 30 to 45. Been ok but do get some withdrawal symptoms poping up. But side effects of mirt are very like the wd symptoms so hard to tell what is going on.
  • Posted

First let me say, everyone is different, so ignore the horror stories lol. I've been on mirtazipine for 5 months, 15mgs, it gives me a great sleep & I don't have to fight with negative thinking. The only down side of it for me is weight gain, but better than alternative. It's been voted 2nd best tablet for treating depression/anxiety, amitriptyline being first. Enjoy the rest when you change over, don't worry about being sleepy during the day to start with, it wears off. All the best

• Posted

Hey! I’ve been on Mirtazapine for last 5 months, increasing my dose to 30mg after a couple months as I felt it wasn’t being as effective as it had started, and I have to say it’s been a generally good experience. I get to sleep almost every night (takes me an hour to kick in) but does make me very groggy in the morning which could be my early starts for work (5am) but that passes after I’ve had chance for breakfast. It stems my negative inner dialogue mainly or when I find myself in a ‘hole’ it’s more short lived not a prolonged period of days/weeks. Of course during my time using it I was getting some counselling so had an ‘outlet’ which finished over a week ago so I’m not completely sure whether I’ll move to the max dose that’ll all depend on the next several weeks. 

All in all I’ve found it helped me, oh it did make me quite peckish but being a tad skinny that wasn’t such a bad thing and after a few months that tapered off a bit too. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi... I've been on mirt for about 6 months, I'm not going to lie at first it was a rough ride with side effects. I started on 15mg but quickly moved up to 45mg. It took about 8 weeks to notice a difference in my mood but I am also on venlafaxine 150mg a day they was added when the mirt wasn't working alone. Now I'm doing alot better, I av the odd down day like today but it's usually around my periods. I hope mirt works for you as it eventually did for me. Although I had to make lots of life changes also like moving myself out of a stressful home environment. Keep us posted at how you do. Leanne x

• Posted

I am on 150 of ven and was on 45 of mirt....just reduced to 30.

I only felt better when the ven was added. I am reducing the mirt as i feel so awful when i wake up.

How are you in the mornings ?

Struggling with mirt withdrawal at the moment but really want to get off it. Am hoping the ven will work on its own.

• Posted

Hi Sarah... In all honesty I find it hard to get motivated in a morning. Once I'm up and I've showered though I feel fine but I do have to push myself to get up. Xx

• Posted

Do you think it is the ven and mirt that is working or do you think the ven could be doing the job on its own ?
    • Posted

Hi.  Curious to know how you actually feel in the morning.  As for myself, I feel really nauseous, just want to stay in bed.  The drug makes me jittery. As the day goes on, the jitteryness is reduced so I can only assume that mirtazapine is the culprit as I take it at night.  I will be discontinuing mirt as of tonight.  I can't stand this drug.  I'd rather just pop a benzo for sleep for the time being.  Looking forward to getting back to my normal self after being in a daze for a month.

• Posted

I take a benzo too.

I feel like i am coming out of a coma. Not nauseated. Kind of dizzy and heavy headed and disorientated. My eyes will not stay open like they are rolling into the back of my head

• Posted

Hi Sarah, jus wondering how are you coping with your Mertazipine Withrawals ?? What symptoms do you have ?? Take care ń best wishes to you. Lloyd from Oz
    • Posted

Got from 45 to 30. It has been tolerable but i have so many side effects if the mirt itvis hard to tell what is what. Getting more headaches and fatigue and heartburn.

Just want off but can t rush it.

• Posted

To be honest I think venlafaxine was the main one to work because when I was taking mirt alone it didn't do much... when venlafaxine was added I started to feel better. Although I don't think any help my Anxiety because it's still bad, but defo helped my depression although I still have down days x

• Posted

Hi im tapering off too n been fine no withdrawel side effects im so lucky x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.