Transperineal Prostate Biopsy -- Urologists in the San Francisco Bay Area

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my first post in this forum.

I am seeking a urologist in the San Francisco Bay Area who you can recommend who either only performs transperineal prostate biopsies or who prefers doing those rather than the standard TRUS biopsies.

Please private-message me if the forum rules don't allow posting this kind of information.

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had two truss biopsies. The second one gave me a spermatic cord infection. It took 4 weeks of ciproflaxin to cure it.

The last was a Trans perineal that was guided.The doctor found that the damage was done by the Trus biopsy.

Definitely stay away from the TRUS biopsy in my humble opionion.

• Posted

George - also stay away from any more Ciprofloxin and any of the other fluoroquinolones (Levo, Avelox etc.)  On this site is a large forum about fluoroquinolone antibiotic toxicity and if you go there and glance through some of the threads you'll see what I mean.

Some people are immediately affected by their first tablet while others usually find it takes a week or two and then others - like you - can take a whole 4 weeks worth with no ill effect.  However, you've taken it which means you may well be a prime target for 'floxing' if you ever take another of this group of antibiotics.  Or, some I know of have felt fine until they take a NSAID (e.g. Ibuprofen or Advil) or steroid as these can kick things off as well.

The FDA have already ruled that the side effects of FQs can often outweigh the benefits and that other antibiotics should be used where possible.  Canada have made a similar statement while in Europe we are waiting for an announcement later this month.

Despite this, not many doctors seem to be aware of the dangers which is why I'm posting when I see Cipro mentioned!  Please check out the FQ discussions here or just look for problems with Cipro on line.

Stay safe, stay away from NSAIDs just in case, and I hope you're all ok now.

• Posted

Hi Calbear,  What is "floxing"? I will stay away from ibuprofin and steriods in the mean time.

• Posted

Hi George,

'Floxing' is from the -flox part of Ciprofloxacin  (all the other fluoroquinolones have 'flox' in their name e.g. Levofloxacin, Ofloxacin etc).  It also sounds a bit like 'toxin', which is convenient as it IS a toxin and it poisons and damages every cell in your body.  Thus you become 'floxed' and you are then a 'Floxie'!  One website about it is called floxie hope, while others use these terms all the time but call their websites or groups after this class of antibiotics i.e. the fluoroquinolones (or maybe just Quinolones). There's a whole world of information out there - and lots here on the forum too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.