Transplant

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has had a transplant 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi amanda and welcome.

I am not sure who has had a transplant to be honest, but hopefully someone who has will come forward for you.

If no one does, you may get a response from people on BLF at healthunlocked.  Or you can access information from the British Lung Foundation website and from that site you can locate a link to the BLF community.

https://www.blf.org.uk/

Once you are on BLF website you can search 'lung transplant' a search list of information on the subject and from patients experience will show.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Many thanks for the welcome and the information.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

Great question...  I would like to know as well as I have been referred for a transplant to Henry Ford Hospital Transplant Center.  My first appointment is next week.  I have received a lot of information about how the process works and the more I research, the more I am inclined NOT to have it done because of all the restrictions on your life and time.   I am getting to a point in my life I would like to go and do a bit of traveling and enjoy what time I have left.  I am borderline stage 4 emphysema, my last PFT was 33%.  But on 2 prior PFT's I was 27% and 26% respectively.  I am not on oxygen, (yet).  I will meet with their team and see how it goes.  

• Posted

Good luck with you team meeting jendog, do let us all know how you get on.  

Many thanks V

• Posted

I have to say that after the research and information I have gleaned I am also thinking along the same lines as you. There is an enormous amount to consider and I had no idea of the survival rates. Best wishes. AJ
  • Posted

Good Morning Amanda;

I had my appointment at Henry Ford Tranplant Center to see if I would be a viable candidate for lung transplant.  My FEV1 at my last PFT was 33% (26% 6 mos prior), I am not on oxygen and am currently working full time.  After going over my numbers and speaking with them, it was determined that I am not a candidate for lung transplant at this time.  I need to be much worse than I currently am.  Thank goodness...

In the paperwork I received from them it stated that a patient for transplant should have a life expectancy of less than 2 years, has to have FEV of less than 30% and has to be on O2.  You will be tested from head to toe to make sure you have no other ailments except for bad lungs.  There is extensive information on their website regarding lung transplantation.  

My current quality of life is good...  If I exercise and take care of myself there is no reason to believe I won't live another 10 years without a transplant.  If my condition deteriorates i can go back for re-evaluation...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.