transplant

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am from Israel. 75 y.o. Lately Nehama Rivlin, the wife of our president got a lung transplant in a good local hospital. Alas they do not wand to transplant me. They said they have a cue of 30-40 y/o sick people,

Did anyone here had lung transplant?

HOw do you feel

and where the transplant was done

and the million $ q - How much?

Tnx Nili

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The big questions here in Austin Texas USA for someone your age would be whether you had any heart and/or brain conditions (aneurysm, for example). Himself was told in his 60s that he couldn't ever get a lung transplant because of his A-fib & atherosclerosis. A later diagnosis of a fusiiform aneurysm just clinched it.

• Posted

I had TIA

does it matter?

Here Rabin Medical Center has a very good lung transplant record's. Alas my age

tnx nili

• Posted

Of course all these things matter, especially to the surgeons and hospital. All those possibilities mean it's much less likely that you'd survive the first half- hour of a long surgery, not to mention whether you'd possibly survive the massive amounts of steroids you'd have to take every day for the rest of your life so your body doesn't reject the transplant. Surgeons mostly don't like to do big surgeries on patients who aren't likely to survive. Personally, i see no reason why they should.

• Posted

I'm a similar age but have been told the chances of survival of such an operation are poor because my lungs are in such a poor condition. Is it medical or is it financial ? Does it depend on where you live, I'm in the UK

• Posted

I am in the UK and the cut off point for lung transplants is 65 (sometimes 60 depending on the supply). Have you been told you are suitable for one? Most people aren't which is why they are turned down. Also recovery is much more difficult the older a patient is which is another reason why an age limit is imposed.

I haven't a clue whether or not you can get one in Israel and how much it could cost. Why not google it? x

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I didn't actually think anyone would reply! I touched upon it briefly with my consultant who said the chances of my surviving the operation were not good which may or not be true in light of your opening sentence. I haven't really considered looking to go overseas but I feel in my heart of hearts it would be too risky. If only there was a magic wand! Stay well

• Posted

Hi Campbell

I am being tested just now to see if i can go on the list. You have to be ill enough to need it but healthy enough to survive the operation.

The cut off i was told was 60 for women and 65 for men. I don't think i will

make the list as i don't think my heart would stand the strain. The lung disease has damaged my heart with all the stress it puts on it , i will continue with the tests but my personal feeling is if its between me and someone a lot younger then I would give it to them as they probably have more chance of surviving.

I hope you get what helps you have a decent quality of life until you find out

What your options are. I have no options left but fight on all the same.

Take care and good luck.

regards. Eian

• Posted

Thank you Elan, a previous respondent mentioned an age cut off date very similar to that. I am 77 in May so well beyond the 65 you mentioned, and like you I think such a transplant, even though I would love to play golf and swim again, would be much more beneficial to a younger person. I have ambulatory oxygen and can still play lawn bowls and potter in the garden so quality of life is pretty reasonable all things considered. I wish you well for the future my friend.

Best wishes

Campbell

• Posted

Hi,

At 55, I was told ANY operation I had would need to be done using a Local Aneasthetic, otherwise I would not survive. The COPD does damage, and reduces the oxygen to all the organs, which then reduces it elsewhere, until the whole body is involved. When I was told, I thought that can't be true, and was just an excuse to avoid the operation I needed at that time and with that doctor. Since, I have needed another operation for an entirely different condition to the previous one. However, that had been rejected as too risky for me, too. The same explanation, from a different doctor, in a different department. I guess it must be true, no matter what I need or want.

• Posted

Your age will be a big part of why they have refused you. I live in England, here the cut off point is 65 (at some centres) some are 60. I am about to be assessed on age alone 58, so I am in system when they deem it the 'right time' ..

• Posted

Thanks, I suspected as much as I was 75/76 at the time. Also my lungs are so bad I probably wouldn't have survived the operation anyway! But thanks for replying and I wish you well and hope you benefit greatly if it happens, swim a length or two for me if you do and when

you get back to fitness!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.