Transplant costs

Posted , 2 users are following.

I will be referred for transplant eligibility evaluation soon. Of course I'm just taking all of this one step at a time. At this point I don't know that I'll qualify. But as I am waiting this out, I'd love to hear from those who have been trough this, especially in the United States. 

I'm working and so have Blue Cross Blue Sheild ( Plan C) through my job. While the patient responsibility has gone up, for all medical care, once I've met the patient responsibility each year my medical costs are covered in full. My prescription meds are included in my annual patient responsibility although I receive all of them through a separate insurance company. I don't believe either policy has a lifetime cap for coverage. I'll check these issues out with my insurance companies this week.

However, I would appreciate hearing from any who are comfortable sharing, how did you pay for your transplant? (I'm hoping to get ideas regarding additional funding sources. And I do realize that if I qualify for a transplant and decide to move forward with that treatment option, I'll meet with a social worker for detailed financial guidance. I'm just trying to get some preliminary information--I'm quite the advanced planner🐶.)

In addition, what do the anti rejection drugs cost monthly? If you're on medicare, are they covered by medicare? If so, Are they covered in full or at the 80% rate? Does a supplemental insurance plan, ie, medigap policy, pick up the remainder?

Frankly, I was surprised that my nephrologist plans to refer me for testing as I'll be 65 years old in August of 2018. So I realize that my age may preclude me from qualifying. However, he referring me in for testing so I realize my age may not be a factor.

Well, I appreciate any thing you would each feel comfortable sharing. And, again, I'm just taking this one step at a time🐶🐶 But it is encouraging to learn I may still be eligible for a transplant. Nevertheless, whatever happens, I'm actually fine with the outcome. I'm ready to start PD dialysis and expect it will be fine. This discussion group has played a significant role in helping me to reach that point.

So, thank you!!

Marj

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My husband just got on the transplant list. You go through an extensive battery of tests, takes about two months ( you have to finish all the tests in about 60 days). You meet with different health professionals one day and a finance person. We live in the USA. Medicare should pay most of it and your supplement insurance should pay the rest.  The finance person will tell you. I think it costs about $135,000 or so.  My husband is 67, you can qualify up to 75 years old.  The bad part is unless you have a live donor waiting (we don’t) you can wait 3-5 years or more depending on your blood type.  He has a positive so will have to wait 3-5 years.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for this information! I am still working and hope to continue for another 8 years or so. It sounds like that may be especially important as I have health insurance through work. (Plus, I love what I do for my job,)

At this point I'm not sure that I will qualify. But I will go through the testing so I know for sure. I've decided that if I do qualify I will pursue a transplant. If it doesn't come to fruition I won't have lost anything. But if it does come to fruition I will feel incredibly blessed. Either way, I am at peace🐶

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.