Transplant testing time

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, My brother is currently being tested to see if he can donate his kidney to me which is obviously incredible, he started being tested at the beginning of April and passed the tissue test and has universal blood which means he is more than likely going to be able to donate, I just wondered about other peoples experiences in how long from the start of testing to transplant it will be, I was at 10% for a whole year and have been at 9% for 3 months, dr said no point in dialysis if my brother is being tested but im fed up of feeling so rubbish, fed up of having no energy

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Janine,  just want to wish you and your very kind and special brother all the very best in the months ahead.  Although I haven't got any personal experience of transplant to pass on to you, I do know several people who have received kidneys from one of their loved ones and both the recipient and the donor in each case is doing very well.  Also, as a bit of reassurance for your brother, I have lived healthily with one kidney for the last 60+ years. Stay positive and hopefully you have a great future to look forward too with increased energy and an end to the "rubbish" feelings. 

• Posted

Can not answer your questions but just wanted to say, hang in there.  Easier said then done I know.  I would think a call to your kidney doctor should be able to answer this question, no?  This act by your brother is just amazing to me.  While we of course wish you well, we must wish him well too.  I had a kidney removed last year and while the operation and recovery was not simple, it was not as terrible as one might think.  But he too needs help an care after the procedure.  People sometimes think it is just a matter of donating.  His life will be affected too.  After the transplant be sure to keep us informed as to the progress of both of you.  
  • Posted

Janine's,

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your brother! 

Marj

• Posted

Thanks to your brother, he is an amazing person. Difficult to answer your question with an exact time period. But I know its better to do it before other complications, when you wait for so long, doctors need more check ups and blood work. My uncle is going through a transplant process (he has a relative donor) and he has other complications due to end stage function. For eg, last i heard was water in his liver, which need to be removed before the transplant. Hope this helps. God bless you both!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.