Transtec patch 52.5 mcg

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son has  been on the higher Transtec buprenorphine patch 52.5mcg for 3 weeks now and is having losts of side effects. 

The more severe ones are ...

Severe Jurking - not in control of limbs shooting up in the air/ hand hitting face - finding hand gripped to face when waking from a light sleep and not being able to pull it away,leaving scratch marks where nails have dug into skin. 

Very irritable, loosing temper.

Body itching.

Hasn't slept  for more than 2 hrs at night fpr the last 2 weeks.

I am wandering if these patches can cause Myoclonus as the jerks are so acute. My son will be seeing his doctor on Thurday and I'm thinking will be eventually taken off the patches and put back onto tramadol as the pain he is suffering hasn't changed from one medication to the other.

Worried mum

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Take him to your doctor, these are severe dide effects and he is on a potent drug and large doses. Go and find a conversion table and see the equivalent dose of morphine he is on. He is presumably on other medication as well that may be coss reaction.
    • Posted

Thank you RafaUK

He will be seeing his doctor on Thursday. His patch has to be changed today and as I have a lower strengh patch of 35 in the house so he will use this instead of the 52.5mcg.  I realize he will have to be brought off them slowly so I think this will be for the best.

We were hoping that these patches would improve his life; but sadly they have only made it worse. As to what will be offered now, I have no idea?

• Posted

My son has seen his doctor and as the patches weren't easing his pain and giving him severe side effects; he has now been prescribed Zomorph capsules 60mg sustained release morphine sulphate.

"Out of the frying pan into the fire"  came to mind as I wouldn’t have thought that going from patches to capsule would have made any difference - but I'm glad to say that his pain has eased a little and now has managed to finally get a little sleep.

Its still early stages as to what strength will be needed to keep his pain in the background but at least something is finally working 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.