Transvaginal scan very very scared Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, been suffering with the most horrendous periods dive I was 15. Very heavy bleeding, back pain etc. I'm now 34 and have had my first TV scan today. They have asked me to come back in 6 weeks and I am now terrified that something is wrong. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if do what did they say etc. From a very worried woman x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Its a good idea that you are doing something about your horrendous periods.  Transvaginal scan is very common for diagnosis.  6 weeks is a long time but do not worry, its best to wait and once you know the results, look at your treatment options. e.g. if you find out you have fibroids, then look at a solution for the fibroids.  The long wait is why some people opt for a private Transvaginal scan, which gives results same day. In London its about £200. The most important thing is that in 6 weeks you will have a diagnosis and can get treatment.  I had heavy periods for years and then was diagnosed with Fibroids, which is very common for women of child bearing age. Do not worry, look forward to getting your results and being in a position to get treatment to stop the horrendous periods.  

• Posted

Thank you! I've been so worried since coming back from the scan today that I'm thinking about going private. I'm not sure I can wait for another 6 weeks without knowing exactly if there is something wrong or not! I've been suffering for so long that I thought it was normal. Part of the reason I was so insistent on getting the scan done is because I'm getting married in a few months and wanted to find out if there would be something wrong with my fertility. What sort of treatment options have they offered for your fibroids? Thanks so much for replying x

• Posted

I was offered Transexamic Acid Tablets by my Doctor for heavy periods when I was first diagnosed with fibroids, these tablets worked. However as fibroids grow over time, I ended up with lots of pelvic pain for many years, so in the end I had surgery to remove 32 fibroids and now have a good quality of life. I had several transvaginal scans both private and NHS. In London there are lots of clinics that offer them for around £200. 

• Posted

Hi Fiji,

Don't panic.  Many women have heavy periods and back pain before and after having children.  My doctor always asks me to come back and see what the ultrasound picture results were 2-4 weeks after pictures were taken.  This is common proceedure.  Heavy periods can be a result of endometriosis, which can't be seen on any ultrasound pictures. So unless you have other symptoms or extreme pain there would be no need to do exploratory surgery.  Heavy bleeding and back pain can also be caused by fibroids which grow attached to the uterus.  Some can be removed, while others can't.  Most fibroids don't cause any problems for women.  Over 50% of women will have fibroids by the time they are 50 years old.  

Be calm and wait to see your doctor for the results. 

• Posted

Also worth pointing out that if the results showed something more sinister you would be called in straight away for an emergency CT scan or MRI. The fact that you have a long wait indicates that the issue is something fairly ordinary and non-threatening such as fibroids or endo. So try not to stress too much!

Xx Rosie

• Posted

I had this TVS test n i was very very scared too but it was comfortable u don't have to worry about it dear.

GOD bless you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.