Trapeziectomy recovery

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello.

I am a 67 year old male new to this forum.

I am scheduled for a trapeziectomy with ligament replacement and would like to know how to manage simple chores immediately after the operation such as shaving, dressing etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Zvi

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi , im 6 weeks post op and i just take my time with chores etc

• Posted

Im new on this forum, very keen to hear how your surgery went?

Has your pain, movement and strength changed? Has there been an improvement from pre and post surgery.

I have surgery planned for December 21 - trapeziectomy of non-dominant hand with ligament insertion.

I have suffered CMC OA of left thumb for 2years.

Regards

Jo Rose

• Posted

Hi, My name is Phil. I am a 75 year old man and I am due to have surgery in two weeks time 21/1/2022.

I need to know the basics of coping post surgery so that I can inform my family as to what I would need in terms of help with everyday life!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Posted

Had trouble signing on. If your query is still relevant I would be pleased to share my experience. Let me know.

Zvi

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I had my surgery 8 weeks ago. In order to figure out what you will need help with, I'd suggest pretending like you had surgery and don't use your hand for a couple of days. I was really surprised at what I couldn't do. For example, try putting toothpaste on your toothbrush with one hand. Or opening a bottle of shampoo in the shower, drying yourself after showering with one hand. That's just a few but I hope that helps.

• Posted

Has anyone had any issues with losing range of motion? I'm 8 weeks out of surgery and I can't pull back the second joint of my thumb. Think of the motion of extending your thumb forward and then pulling back. I can push my thumb forward but when I attempt to pull it back, my first joint will bend but the second one won't. I can push it back, but it just pops back forward.

I also have numbness and tingling along the top and side of my thumb. I'm hoping both these will improve with time, but I'm interested in hearing what others have experienced. I'm definitely surprised with how long the recovery is for this surgery.

• Posted

i had my trapeziectomy surgery three months ago. The post surgery pain is still so bad, i still have trouble doing simple things like i cannot open jars, water bottle, cant turn a can opener , cant do much of anything that requires strength.

i wish i had NEVER had the surgery. most people i read it takes a year or two before you can use your hand properly !!! not worth losing two years if my life at age 53!

• Posted

Hello there.

im 7 weeks in to a trapeziectomy on my LH . I have to be honest , I've been blind sided by the amount of pain you get from such a little joint . I was in cast for a full 6 weeks , so my wrist is completely rigid and fingers so stiff. What I find difficult is knowing when you've done too much, as everything hurts! Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced the procedure and can help me manage my expectations.

• Posted

hi im due thumbal arthritis surgery in feb my thumb very painful and hard dressing up and daily chores

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.