Posted , 5 users are following.
I have had neck pain ever since a neck injury 26 years ago and have been on pain killers for all this time.anti infammatory tablets do not suit me, I have had various neck injections and they have not helped, it has always got worse with certain movements and had to give up PA work and computer work full time at least 10 years ago, I am 61 years old now and work from home very part time on a when well basis. Now not really able to work on the computer much. I have had lots of test over the years and just had to live with it as nothing really explained as to why I had the pain just lead to believe it was muscelor. Early this year I developed pain in left shoulder and more and more flashing light auras like a migrain but only the visual disturbance for about 5 minutes at a time. I thought I could feel a lump in my shoulder - we went down the route of looking for this on a MRI scan and Ultra sound and could not find one. I went back to see Specialist in August 2016 and mentioned the occasional numbness and pins and needles and he said I think we need another MRI scan to compare from the last one - this came back and apparently the C4 or C5 disc is herniated towards my spinal cord and this has got considerably worse from the last MRI scan - not touching the spinal cord just on the fluid part, the nerve on the facet joint is practically pinched together with bone spurs. I was completely in shock and it seems that this could continue growing. In such a mess at home with building renovations and was waiting maybe until Jan next year the Surgeon says this would be OK, he is sending me for a CT scan now of the bone spur and also something to do with checking the nerve. I am dreading the surgery as it is through the neck and I have been told of all the problems that can arise at the worst death. He is taking the bone spur off and fitting a disc not metal work he believes least is best and it does not need the metal work in just one disc in the cervical area, but said the nerve can be damaged and this is very tricky also there are many important structures in the neck. I am so scared,and now I don't think I can stand the worry of waiting with all the worry, fortunately it is private so I can book it in to suit me and the surgeon. Worrying about having it done and now worrying about it getting worse and not having it done soon enough- Can't win sittuation at the moment - anyone out there who can help I would be obliged not sure wether I am coming or going - the symptoms are getting worse maybe dissisions make themselves but I am now faced with if it gets worse will it be irriversible damage to the nerve. I know there are alot of people who are facing much more life threating conditions but it is not stopping me worrying - my daughter-in-law thinks I should just go and have it done sooner to stop the what ifs, I wanted to get straighter at home first because I know sitting and resting is not easy when you see things that need doing. Any comments would be appreciated, I can''t stand the thought of anything happening to me when my grandchildren have just lost there Grandma. I am being morbid I know and I know I will be brave once the decision is made, but would appreciate some comments on this please.
0 likes, 11 replies