Trauma and alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had a history of self medicating with alcohol, usually white wine 13% alcohol, and usually a bottle to l  1/2 about once a month, twice at the most.  This usually follows a shock/trauma of some sort.  Although, some forty + years ago, over indulgence occurred maybe once a week at weekends - out for supper - bottle of wine, and then home, and we have another botlte.  

I have never been an every day drinker, and there were always several days/weeks between "binges" which were always the result of bad news, etc.  I am healthy and show no signs of any damage that I am aware of, although early stage problems are mostly undetectable.

On the whole, my consumption has dropped considerably over the past two years, with the occasional lapse.

I am about to have a blood test, which is a routine blood work up including all the usual.  I am wondering what the test is likely to show regarding the workings of my liver. so, looking for some feedback, please?  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

There is a panel for liver enzymes that will be checked for a routine blood work....no news is good news...your probably not drinking enough to have it elevated..but everyone is different.

​Mine came back only "slightly" elevated after drinking 27 days in a row the last time I was in hospital.

• Posted

Many thanks  I think a lot depends on age, but I have fairly long spells when I do not drink at all.  Sometimes two to three months, but then something comes up and a bottle of wine is my "drug of choice."  Never used drugs, though.  Sometimes it goes onto a another half a bottle, but then there is a long spell of total abstinence until the next trauma.  

When I was married in the 80s, my husband, was a very heavy drinker, and exerted a negative influence on my alcohlo consumption, but again, it was always white wine.  At one point during that time, I was told that my liver was enlarged, but I believe that the liver goes back to normal if drinking ceases for estenced periods.

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I recently managed to drastically reduce my alcohol intake to about 1 bottle of wine a day, every day. I get regular liver function tests because I am also taking HIV medication. All is fine. I think 1 1/2 bottles a month will probably not cause any major problems :-)

• Posted

HI there:

Thank you for coming back to me on this. I am really glad that I have had the courage to post on ths site, as I have been concerned about the occasional bout of using wine to blot out emotional pain.  Much better to dive in to the site and seek support, for all of those who have concerns about alcohol consumption.  

All that is needed for a lot of us is somewhere to go.  AA is one place, but maybe doesn't provide all the answers.

All the best, 

• Posted

I think with what you are drinking there's no need to worry unduly.

I was drinking up to 3 bottles of wine a day and had blood tests done in sept and all were in the normal range.

But I am going to the docs tommorow because I really feel I am jaundiced and know the liver can go downhill rapidly.

• Posted

Many thanks.

There is still so much of the "nanny state" information out there.  Good for you to ge to see your GP, as it does rather sound as though you should, now.

My drinking is so spasmodic.  It was heavier when I was iiving in California, and that was mostly due to burn out and the whole California scene which is very much involved in drinking wine, far  more than spirits, as it isa  wine producing state. Business lunches always imvolved bottles of wine, and most of us did not return to work, we spent the afternoon, wherever we were!  Discussing business, of course...!  Fair amount of beer, is drunk, too, but I hate beer!

Good luck, and do cut way back if you can.

• Posted

Hi Susie. Just wondering how you are keeping now? One week later and the drinking.. how much do you drink in reality? YOu also list two or three months and no drinking which I find very surprising and GREAT since very people can do that. Did you have tests done?? would like to help.
    • Posted

I do not recall whe I had my last drink.  A couple of years ago at the very least.  y concern was regarding my liver, as I have been subjectrd to 7+ years of ASB, abuse, assault, and stalking o the part of two rather deranged individuals who were living above me.  Unfortunately, we are both owner/occupiers, so she still owns, and is here to pick up her mail, every so often.  I have to report recent actiity to the polise.  However, they have both been dealt with by the local police, but continue to create probelms for me whenever possible.

My alcohol consumption was a reaction to their unbelievable behaviour, which was totally irrational and without explanation, other than the obvious differences in "social background" and education.

I am very touched by your enquiry and concern.

A very merry christmas to you ad a happy new year,

Susie

• Posted

Dear Susie, what a terrible story and what a strong person you are !! Amazing that you pulled through and Merry Christmas to you and very Happy New Year to you!!   smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.