Traumatic Aortic Dissection & Multiple Rib Fractures

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,Husband collapsed in the garden sustaining all of the above ! He's home now on a plethora of drugs inc warfarin,beta-blockers medics are saying the small dissection was due to the collapse but i wonder if it was the cause of it ?? Any views/experiences welcome also possibility of not driving for 6 months if collapse cause not found ! Angiogram normal for repeat in June.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lynne, I am so sorry to hear this about your husband.  I'm not a doctor but it seems more logical that the aortic dissection caused the collapse.  Do you know what part of the aorta dissected?  I don't know the NHS since I am in the US, but you might want to consider getting a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in aortic aneurysms.  Take care,  Jill
  • Posted

Hi Lynne, Yes it is a major concern for you both Lynne, Unfortunately like your husband I too collapsed in my garden at 56 and only days after saying to the outlaw she needs gravy to take so many pills and ‘hay presto’ I jumped ahead of her in one foul swoop after never taken any pills or seeing a quack, that will teach me!!!. Now a medical wonder apparently and joined a select few who lived through these devastating attacks. The good news: Yes, life has changed, but it is life which would not be possible without the skill and knowledge medically speaking here in the Uk NHS, so a big thanks goes to them all without saying which I am sure you will agree with. The down side: The aftercare sucks! The explanations and communication between your GP and consultant will probably be very poor due to whose responsibility you now are under!! You will find out more from this and other sites than what you will be told by the establishment as they only what to know you after your discharge  as a medical stylistic, not a person who needs help now mentally and other pressing needs!

Within their constrictions of bureaucracy not to mention the automatic higher criticism if you challenge with informed knowledge which this response is based on a monetary back ground meaning cost to them and politics, so like our MP’s they will tell you what you need to know, but not the whole truth if it cost’s them is my experience backed up by many other suffers whom all practically without exception say the same regarding any sort of support! Try Looking up the John Ritta foundation on the tintanet they have a far more ‘open support site’ because of the US size and there none constrictions, hence is a leader in information sharing which is not supported here, even on this site as I cannot even give you the address which proves my point or this will be taken off by the site moderators, Its UK Freedom of info, but not as it was fought for, just in case you get ahead of yourself and think or know too much or ask for your entitlements too much, which you and I have paid for by the way!

My best advice is to research and get informed which you have started, but I have found info is out there!

Kind regards

Paul Harris

• Posted

The cause can be varied and wide, my advice would be to get the family checked for hereditary conditions Asap, but could be down to life style high blood pressure or sustained stress, Smoking or from others, dietary conditions etc. The main thing to concern your self’s with now is too readjust which will take time as you get used to the various conditions which it brings with it, predominantly drug side effects and working with the changes to how he feels each day, do not be too hard on your self’s he has ripped the engine apart and it will not function as it did and he will be limping home as it were, mood swings or depression may follow, most have said it changes ones thinking to life, I was very active which was my problem… Now, each day is a challenge! But not unmanageable, you will both learn more about each other if you do not expect miracle cures and work together to resolve these changes which will be at a far slower pace with loads of rest needed! I do golf, sail, and walk, just not as I would like and need rest before and after but need these to stay positive, and always remind myself I am lucky each day to see my family again, and think of those who did not make it whom have suffered these attracts! It is those who have too care for me take the most strain as I am no longer the bread winner which makes me feel so thankful of my wife of over 38 yrs, these are the important factors and based on these you can move forward, I recommend a hug a day first thing is the best medicine if the mind is right, the body will follow!  Thinking of you Guys!
    • Posted

wow,thanks for such a comprehensive reply,we are heading into week 3 post event and in the main are taking each day.His engine is definately faulty at present but  with encouragement is doing as asked with regard to resting, a shock that getting to hospital for warfarin check really took it out of him.Thankyou for sharing your experience and supporting mine.Keep Well x
  • Posted

Hi Lynne, No problem, sorry if it all sounded deep or mysterious but tried to be honest, glad it did not get 'moderated'... You will find much support if you look up the link I gave you which people from all over share a common goal to get support or alternatively, type in on Face Bk my name, I live in Southampton will look out for your signature request then I can pass you more info and help to join the Aortic group. wish you all the best I known how hard it is, as we are coming up to the completion of our first year and still sorting out matters, but when you know others have forged a path ahead of you it is much easier not to have feelings of isolation which we had to start with when dealing with complex issues you did not think you would be dealing with or use too.  Will look out for your request on FB, even look up harris building and maintenance Web site your find an em address too. kind regards Paul Harris
    • Posted

Hello,just to tell you i got round to looking up John Ritter info and that was of great help ,thankyou for that much appreciated.I don't do facebook etc so will communicate here if thats ok.We're into the 5th week since collapse and M doing well,angiogram on wed cardiology follow up thurs.Waiting to here about benefit claim as to add to stress M was supposed to start new job 19th may post our holiday of a lifetime sort of thing ,sure you get my drift !!!!!!!!! A mess with lots of worries !!!! Anyway he could be dead so i take solace in the fact that he lives to tell another tale ha ha .I hope you and your family are ok and Thanks again for the invaluable info L
    • Posted

Hi Lynne, Glad you and hubby are progressing, it is a long path, so do not expect miracles take each day one at a time. Interestingly we did the same in regard to Hol's and did a cruise (in case!!) but to be fair, it is now a yr. on, still in pain and tired all the time but got used to naps which helps rebuild energy for the evening, it is about managing the effects of the drugs and condition plus it just takes time to except it all in the mind, as for Benefits, you will have a bigger battle on your hands for sure with that in mind, I have found a UK site called ‘Aortic survivors co uk’ this is a web site but cannot put the dots in or it will be moderated, but again it is connected to FB for the forums info you will find it helpfull, so it may be worth considering just for the info this side of it, I only say this as this is more transferable between AD survivors and more open and will be doing one of my own to deal with the system, consultants and G.Ps being as most sites on FB or Web deal with daily woe’s we experience which is important to know your not alone with the weight of it all, so would like to correlate how people are finding their way through it all practically to make it all easier as I and others find it a maze with mega forms and departments to confuse a wizard Esp. if you have never dealt with it all before, which is most of us!!

Kept going Lynne he will get through it with help but hubby must be strong to have survived! All that is needed is to get over the top and downhill is in front of you both. Thoughts are with you both.

Regards

Paul Harris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.