Traumatizing event and health anxiety creating insomnia and awful depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone! Im a 21yr old f who currently suffers really bad from health anxiety and sleep anxiety. I have am extreme fear of fatal insomnia (i know so silly) i knewnof it many years before but thought it could only be genetic so it never bothered me until recently (last two minths to be exact). I also stumbled across a video on utube where a man claimed to habe gotten fatal insomnia from an antibiotic and it scared me and made me insane that itd happen to me. I need some reassurance i say to myself that even the sporadic form must be somehow genetic to reassure me and that that man was fake news but im not sure . I take mirtazapime as these fears made me have bad insomnia and suicidal and doc said itd help me sleep (which it does). But i still have trouble falling asleep as im always worried and also its all im thinking about day n night it has affected my family and they dont know how to help me anymore.i live in constant fear and i need some reassurance wether its scientific about sfi and ffi or that i can overcome this fear and sleep normal again please please

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi wanttogetwellll

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Just to give you some reassurance . FFI is inherited only & there are only about 100 cases reported worldwide. (remember this one can only be passed down from family to family) hence the word 'familiar' (i think that's how you spell it). As for the sporadic kind , there are only approximately 24 cases reported worldwide. I hope that gives you some comfort. You have a better chance of winning the lotto 10 times over than getting this remotely rare disease. Please try to stop worrying over something that you have seen on some really fake video. As lily commented, if you're sleep continues on the path it is it may be wise to look into some constructive treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.