Travel???

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am thinking of traveling to the UK from the U.S. Have been in the past many years ago, and hoping to make it again. I am a bit scared and honestly don't know how I will fare, and neither do any of you. I am still in mild but do get some breathlessness. Since exercise is good for this condition, if I am careful and don't push would it be worth it? Too risky? Anyone care to share stories?

Thank you.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what you are scared of aslong as you keep within your limits you will be fine 
  • Posted

Hi, Of course always check with the doctor. Just to remind you also that one should advise the airline that one's a COPD patient in advance, in case inflight oxygen is required. Alternatively there is a portable oxygen concentrator you can buy about 200-300 dollars which you can take with you on planes, cruises etc. Thought I might mention this when you're travelling long distance. My husband has COPD and we are also looking into all kinds of possibilities offered for us to make such a trip. Hope this is helpful.
    • Posted

I am going to Tunisia from the UK. I am moderate copd. When I checked with the airline they wanted an extra £100 each way what a rip off
    • Posted

Might as well look into buying your own portable, but check with doctor or nurse for help with using it, right amount etc. I once even saw them on ebay for sale, but don't really know whether they are the correct ones. Hence medical opinion would be advisable. I imagine you'd perhaps need to let the airline know that you might need to use your portable unit.
    • Posted

Hi ,I always used to fly with monarch air lines ,and they supplied the oxygen I needed at a cost of £180 ,they were brilliant and lookedafter me brilliantly ,
    • Posted

Jonah, regarding the portable oxygen concentrator for 200-300 dollars, could you please let us know the name of this portable concentrator, and how to go about finding information about it? I have been looking to possibly purchase one. 

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Brenda, I had simply looked up 'Personal Portable Oxygen for travellers, patients with COPD' and came up with a few examples and prices. Please check with Sonsy as she says her husband has one and that they are great. Perhaps Sonsy would be kind enough as to let us all know where they bought it from, how to use it etc, and whether you need to tell airlines ahead of travel dates, you will be using it.
  • Posted

Hi.. I have read before on this forum, someone who advised having a pre flight exam with their GP( I think I it was GP not consultant) who can then tell you if your oxygen levels are sufficient to fly (bearing in mind oxy levels drop in flight) and also they can then suggest if you will need any in flight. Really good idea and I wish we had known this before we flew last time!  Re the portable, my husband has one and they are great. My opinion is, if you try and cover for as many eventualities as possible , then go for it!! Life is too short to restrict yourself when you can still do it. The time will come when, like my husband and I, you may no longer be able to travel, so, make hay while the sun shines!!!! and good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi ,that was me ,who advised having a fit to fly inflight lung function test ,I always used to have mine at the hospital as it was my consultant who advised it ,unfortunately due to low oxygen levels even with suplymentary I can no longer fly as my levels drop to much and would put me at risk ,

I am now enjoying holidays in the uk again  better safe than sorry for me .

• Posted

Hi Nanny, just wondering what are your low oxygen levels that bar you from flying? When my husband first took ill, it happened while we were on holiday, and the consultant refused to let him fly unless his oxygen levels went up to 95/96 if I remember right. It very rarely gets to that nowadays, but he still flies.
    • Posted

Hi,i first  had the test after a stay in intensive care as we thought a holiday in the sun would do me good,I'd flown many times before no problem ,but consultant asked me to have the test ,and what happens is ,,,,,

for twenty minutes you sit with a mask on that simulates the pressure of a plane,and as long as your oxygen levels don't drop too low then it's ok ,but if they DO ,,,,,drop sorry I can't remember the number but I think it's  ,,,then you sit for a further twenty minutes with the mask AND oxygen and as long as your level doesn't drop consistently  below,I think ,,90,,,then it's ok ,

sorry about not being sure of the numbers ,,,,,,during the last two tests I had sadly after just a FEW minutes without the oxygen ,,,I could tell that my levels were drastically  dropping ,,,,and the feeling was terrible,

My oxygen levels are good usually around 94/93,

if in doubt ,,,,,ask your hubby's consultant or GP if he advises he has an inflight test ,

please don't take my word on my numbers ,,,as it's sometime since I last did the test ( I don't bother now. ) ,,,I hope you and your hubby continue to have holidays in the sun ,,,,,,oh I'm afraid of water ,,,,so a cruise us out ,,,

• Posted

Thanks so much for everyone's help. The travel is hypothetical at the time. Just seeing what the situation is if I do want to go. I am not on oxygen and hope I won't need to bring it. You are right to do it and make the best if it!
  • Posted

Consult your Doctor who can advise you,if you are fit enough to take this long journey,under pressurised cabin conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.