Travel after prolapse surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi ladies

My daughter has a sports event 8days after my prolapse op -and possibly hysterectomy (this Thursday!!) however it's 1.5hours drive away and then it's about 3hours sitting round. Anyone had issues with travelling and sitting round for this long the week after op?? Or should I be ok? Or what advise do you have about the travel then sitting there? I'm going to borrow a wheelchair as the car park is quite a way from the venue so not sure I will be up for walking that far! 

Thanks 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Hate to say it but at 8 days post op their is no way I could have even contemplated never mind attempting to get out for a 5min walk.

I had hysterectomy and anterior repair, then later had to have anterior repair redone along with posterior repair.

Both times advice not to do anything for first 2 weeks, rest all the time and no lifting, only little short wander around house to keep circulation going.

Then next 2 weeks only making a light lunch and mugs of tea/coffee. Not lifting anything more than a 500ml. Can start 2 x 5 min walks, gradually build up strength over next few weeks working towards

2x 20 min walks and up to a litre of water. No ironing, no hovering, until wround 2 month mark and no driving till after 6 week's or until you can stamp your feet without pain.

So important to rest and not cause any down pressure on pelvic floor during those early weeks of healing. The pelvic floor has to take the weight of the pelvic organs when you are on your feet so please be very very careful.

If us very difficult to sit for any length of time during early weeks, you will find that you may have to be horizontal for much of the time .

So sorry, I hope your daughter has other family members that can be with her for support on her big day.

Please take care these ops can be successful if you are very careful and so important to rest as thus is major surgery and if takes many months to recover properly. It's us your health for the rest of your life.

I did not rest properly after my first surgery and hence if failed and although I had it redone my chance of long term success is at risk because it was a 2nd repair. Each time this surgery is redone your pelvic floor is weaker.

Take care x

• Posted

Oh Mazmoo

I am sorry to disappoint but I really don’t think it would be wise for you to attend this event.

I am over two weeks post op rectocele and cystocele surgery and I can’t sit down yet yet alone sit in a car or wheelchair.

You don’t know what your pain level will be and you need to be comfortable and resting . After surgery most of us are extremely tired for quite some time too.

Tonight I went to my next door neighbour by car in my pjs and later on their sofa to eat and am exhausted. Although after 16 days it made a lovely change.

I don’t know how old your daughter is but hope that she understands in this occasion it really is not possible for you.

You need lots of rest, no bending lifting pushing or pulling . Basically do nothing.

Best wishes 

• Posted

Sorry Mazmoo, but I think it will too painful and also risky to travel and sit for so long only 8 days after major surgery. For the first 2 to 3 weeks, I was on regular pain medication and sitting was very uncomfortable so mainly had to lie down and just gentle walks around the house and naps. At 2 weeks post op, I did have a 45 minute car journey out to a restaurant for a leisurely lunch and then the same journey back....... It was really too much too soon if I am honest as although I put a brave face on, I spent the next 2 days in bed. I was lucky and it didn't cause any damage. It is not just the sitting, it's the vibration coming up through the car seat which causes discomfort and can disturb the delicate stitches etc. At 4.5 weeks post op a friend took me to the local shops, I was walking around the shops for about an hour and a bit, about 30 minutes in the car each way......... I bled through the night and again had to recover for the next few days.  I am otherwise very fit and well and keen to get on with life. I have done some gentle housework, cooked meals and generally think everything is healing well, but honestly the first 2 to 3 weeks i really had no choice but to surrender to the healing process and rest. I am so sorry to be negative and realise if you decide not to travel you and your daughter will be disappointed. Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery.

• Posted

I would have to agree with the others. It's much too early to be considering doing all that. I'm just over 2 weeks post op, I went out for 2 short walks today which I really enjoyed but I do ache more tonight so will have to rest more tomorrow. 

• Posted

Based on my experience, there is no way you could be in a car for 1.5 hours. Let alone get around and/or sit up for an event. Just riding to the doctor a week after my surgery was very difficult. (15 minutes away while heavily medicated.)

Honestly, you will likely have very little memory of the first couple of weeks anyway. I hope your daughter has another friend or family member who can travel with her...and someone to stay with you to help you. Take care of yourself👌🏻🙂

• Posted

Hi ladies. 

Thank you for being so honest- I'm gutted. She is only 8 and I think will be just as gutted as me - however I will have to getting husband to FaceTime me when she is competing so I can feel like I'm there then! 😢

Hopefully it will be the first of many - so I will make up for it at a later date! 

Going in on Thursday and starting to feel very nervous! 

X

• Posted

Good luck for Thursday. 

FaceTime is a great idea.

You never know you could be running with her next year! 

X

• Posted

Hope all goes well for you on Thursday , you will be in good hands.

X

• Posted

No i wouldnt make plans for the first weeks at least. Im 4 days post op and havent gone outside for a second. I dont dare go downstairs or upstairs, cant cook more than a campbells soup and cant sit up long enough to even fathom driving a car in the next few weeks, let alone days. Im 26 yrs old and was told id be fine to carry my 18 month old around, drive, etc.

Good luck with your operation😊

• Posted

Oh gosh jenex my 2 or 4&8 and it's going to be hard enough not playing with them. Hope you are coping ok and getting lots of support! 

• Posted

I agree with everybody - definately NOOOOOOO! You didn't say which repair, but same advice applies to either/or/and. Hope you weren't planning to drive as well! That's a NO for 6wks and insurance companies generally don't even cover that period. Also a big NO to those circular cushions as they are bad for Genitourinary surgery. Just mentioned that in case. Wheelchairs are very hard. But truly just don't go. 

• Posted

Hi I'm having rectocele and cystocele - and maybe hysterectomy! I wasn't planning on driving just using ok back seat on way there! I will stay home and relax then! 😥X

• Posted

Well done! Disappointing but you must take care and heal. Wishing you the very best recovery.
    • Posted

Oh gosh even one prolapse repair is major surgery. All the very best and do just rest lots and don't venture out on that trip. Best of luck to your young Daughter too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.