Travel after Rectocele repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

I will be flying 2.5 hours 4-5 days after a rectocele repair I have planned in April 2019. Urologist approved this. Any advice about how to do so safely from women who have had this repair?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had rectocele cystocele repair in May of last year. I couldn't pee so after 3 days I was discharged with a IDC for a week to recover at home then went back 2 have it removed. I'm not saying ur recovery will be anything like mine but 4-5 days is no recover time at all. After 4-5 days I couldn't even stand for very long let alone feel well enough to travel. I wish u well.

• Posted

Thank you! I think I need to call the surgeon to understand her thinking better so that I can be sure I'm making the right decision. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

• Posted

I think I was unclear in my initial post. The travel is to get home from surgery. I have to take a 2 1/2 hour flight just to get to the surgeon. So I do need to get home at some point.

• Posted

you definitely can't do much for at least 6 to 8 weeks your going to be very sore and uncomfortable you might want to reschedule your trip these drugs don't know our bodies they think it's a simple surgery and it really isn't it had mine back in on June 1st of 2018and there are still days I still have to rest and when I pee sometimes it feels like my insides are going to fall out so it is a long healing God Bless

• Posted

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I can’t wait 6 to 8 weeks because the travel is to get home. I'm not having surgery in my state. The closest place I can get surgery is a 2 1/2 hour flight away.

• Posted

Do u have someone 2 travel with u? Maybe u could organise priority boarding and a wheelchair or transport thru the airport 2 reduce the time ur on ur feet and the less walking the better. I had to travel over 2 hours in the car to get home from the hospital. My husband drove me and with our crappy roads all the bumps were excruciating. Something soft 2 sit on is also a must. I'd avoid medications that cause constipation but keep up with it paracetamol and anti inflammatories. U will defs be walking slower so allow heaps of time so u don't need 2 rush. Good luck 😚

• Posted

You may be able medically to fly, but physically you wont be able to fly for several months without severe pain which takes ages to get over. Reschedule either the surgery or the flight, you cant do both. Way too soon.

• Posted

The problem is that I need to get home. Surgery is in Seattle and I live in Alaska. The plan is to get home four days after surgery. The most I can afford to wait would be another week after that, max. The sooner I can get home, the better financially and emotionally. I just want to be sure that I’m not going to undo the surgery.

• Posted

I uunderstand hun. Ahh Seattle and Alaska. My favourite places to live other than Canada.

Yes I've see the seaplane to get people out of there. I'm sure you will be ok hun. I had to travel 4 hrs by car after my t h and repair. I was finex

• Posted

Hi

My consultant told me not to fly till after 6 weeks due to DVT with flying.

I'd really think hard about flying so close to have general also hun.

I was told to rest for 6 weeks and not to lift or bend.

I'm quite surprised yiu were told it's safe to fly after major surgery.

• Posted

As much as you want to, it will be very hard to do. Another week would help, the first week is too soon, really it is. I couldnt sit down for weeks, the trip home from hospital was only thirty mins, and really difficult. Could you maybe get airplane seats that allow you to lie down? You need to rest as much as possible, you dont want it to fail.

• Posted

yes, I agree! I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. This is really just convincing me that I need to talk to the doctor and make a better plan. Thank you.

• Posted

Im from Alaska as well Just had surgery not quite two weeks ago and i flew home next day I was too sore to use wheelchair so walked slow to gate lucky to get row to lay on with my husband You can do jtI Flew home with a cath snd flew back day 5 for post op check and removal of cath then flew home again Doing well besides getting a sinus infection lolGood luck bring pillow to sit on and take pain pills and miralyx so not to get constipated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.