Travel fears.....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I have been dating a guy for 6 months who lives an and a half from me and due to my panic issues the drive is a real challenge. I also struggle going anywhere and not being in control of my journey, worrying I will get stranded somewhere and just being so far from home. Tomorrow I am meant to be driving to my boyfriend then going with him and kids for a day out which will be another hours drive. I'm really anxious about this, don't want to ruin everyone's day by having a panic attack but I know I need to do all these things to get over my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this easier for me? I would appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

Thanks all

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go to the local library or read and make notes about panic attacks and anxiety. Educate yourself about anxiety and how it can be handled. Learning to deep breathe is the start and this can be given in practical groups such as yoga or meditation or relaxation classes. You may find them in libraries, local hospital or community centres. May be even doctor's surgery.

Take out books on diaphragmatic breathing, meditation or yoga and they will all teach you about the breathe and how to control your symptoms of anxiety. Medications can only do so much, you must deal with it yourself.

Use the process of empowerment to take control of your own health issues, by reading about your problems and how you can work on them yourself.

Good luck and I am here if you need more advice. Just learn how to deep breathe and your fears will just melt away. it is that simple!

• Posted

Thanks Gail. I have been trying deep breathing with a self hypnosis cd. Been trying to use it for anxious moments, very hard but I know it won't be an overnight fix.I do know that I don't want this to take over any more of my life so will try anything.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy

This is agoraphobia there's a page on this site which explains what it is etc

• Posted

Had a quick read, can't believe all the complications of panic disorder, just another thing to try and fix. Will be a real uphill struggle I think
  • Posted

Good luck Lucy. Remember that you are a wonderful person and that life is not easy. We need to face our fears and learn how to look after ourselves. It is a tough battle, but try to be strong. We all have to face our fears, so be kind to yourself and look after yourself!
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I do need to be strong for me and my daughter. I will certainly be trying my best.

Thank you

• Posted

Do some goal setting with your daughter that are achievable and realistic. Then when you achieve them together, you can celebrate that you have overcome one hurdle.

Setting goals is an important process and you can learn from the process by making them measurable, realistic and achievable.

Teach your daughter the same skills that you want to learn and you will find it to be a fun activity that you can do together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.