Travel Insurance

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm recently diagnosed and looking for travel insurance that will cover my crohns whilst I'm in America. I thought I fell lucky finding one that would cover me but then when I got to the end it declined covering me for crohns.

Can anyone suggest a travel insurer who covers crohns, possibly one that isn't ridiculously expensive. I leave on the 20th and didn't realise how difficult I would be finding one that wouldn't break the bank. I'm only going for 5 nights!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

Sorry to hear that you were declined insurance.

I have an account with Lloyds bank which gives free travel insurance which covers my Crohn's.

I'm not able to tell you how much I costs as it's included in the fee I pay for the account each month.

Unfortunately things like life insurance are also more expensive with Crohn's and once you declare it as a pre existing condition it won't be covered on things like private health insurance.

Apologies for being the bearer of bad news but I'm confident that you will be able to get cover from somewhere, just at a higher premium.

Perhaps one of the support groups like Crohn's and Colitis Uk could point you in the right direction?

Good luck and have a great holiday! X

• Posted

I would be very interested to know if you have found out anything useful. I am travelling to America soon and I have an annual travel insurance included on a credit card.  However, it does not include Crohn's as standard so I have to pay an extra fee after completing a medical screen.  It feels expensive! I have rheumatoid arthritis too but it is the Crohn's that makes it costly as I have travelled for years with RA and never had to pay extra. Ironically, my Crohn's was undiagnosed for about 8 years so I have travelled a lot with it without incident! This is when getting an official diagnosis is not so advantageous.  I would be grateful if you could keep me posted if you find a less costly solution! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.