Travel problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hope you don't mind me asking this...but I am going to Australia for Christmas and just a tad worried about the trip. It's only 3 hours 40 mins in the plane...but I'd like to hear what others have to say about flying with AS....I can take my wheelchair for free...but will they help me get around the airport with all my luggage etc....They have allocated me an aisle seat but it will be difficult to squeeze myself in and out of it if I have to make a couple of trips to the toilet...advice please...G

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't drink so that I do not have to try and hike down that narrow isle just as we hit turbulence.

In the USA, they will meet us curb side and yake us through security and up to the aircraft door. If needed, they have a wee skinny chair that they can take you down the aisle in. I prefer the window seat.

And do not get off the plane until they have your wheelchair at the cabin door. As long as you are on the aircraft, they have to take care of you. In the USA, they pawn us off on the skycabs and you could find yourself left alone...without anyone else around.

Seats are narrower, leg room is not much...it is cramped for a three foot child.

Gloria, I would skip the diuretic until arrival. Walk to the loo if you sit up front versus walk to the back if you sit near the loo. Wear compression stockings during the flight for DVT.

Are you flying Quantas.. maybe John Travolta ..doll up good!

• Posted

Hi Jude...we are in seat 8b and 8c  so it's near the front...No diuretics for me until we get there...Don't think I can buy compression stockings here...they are far too hot to wear in Bali...but will look anyway. Just have to flex my legs and hope for the best...So looking forward to it....G

• Posted

hi Gloria, order a pair on compression socks for the tip on Amazon bet the zipper type easy on easy off. Or one size larger. The doc advised mr hope to do that.It's important for your safety. It's better to be safe than sorry. Once on board the aircraft and air conditioner turned on ask your daughter to give you a hand.xxxxxHope

• Posted

omgosh! Spell check sorry. Tip=trip and bet = get. biggrin

• Posted

OK will take a look in a mo'.....thanks for the advice...we did have some in the clinic but they are Balinese size....far too small for me. Will try to chemists first...and ask at the hospital too.....Thanks and hugs..G

• Posted

in this case, better hot...planes have air conditioning...try Amazon...don't get them too small...at least to knee but preferably to the hip...your legs will thank you....

enjoy!

• Posted

UPDATE UPDATE

Opthamologist did full eye exam including dialation.

The vitreus humor is a gel substance that gives the eyeball it's shape. My vitreus humor is liquifying...old age....and in the process of detaching. This process creates floaters, painless, an annoyance...and rapid flashes of light at my intra occular lens here and there. My vision remains unchanged excepting when a floater stops in front of the retina.

The vitreus humor has three attachment points, the danger is that as it liquifies, it creates a vacuum that puts stress on the retina. The vitral detachment process may therefore detach some or all of the retina.

I am to notify Dr. Haas if I observe any changes...otherwise my next appointment is in three weeks.

He advised me that tjis may be a nuisance for up to nine months. And yes, my other eye may have the same experience.

• Posted

I don't drink so that I do not have to try and hike down that narrow isle just as we hit turbulence.

In the USA, they will meet us curb side and yake us through security and up to the aircraft door. If needed, they have a wee skinny chair that they can take you down the aisle in. I prefer the window seat.

And do not get off the plane until they have your wheelchair at the cabin door. As long as you are on the aircraft, they have to take care of you. In the USA, they pawn us off on the skycabs and you could find yourself left alone...without anyone else around.

Seats are narrower, leg room is not much...it is cramped for a three foot child.

Gloria, I would skip the diuretic until arrival. Walk to the loo if you sit up front versus walk to the back if you sit near the loo. Wear compression stockings during the flight for DVT.

Are you flying Quantas.. maybe John Travolta ..doll up good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.