Traveling doing CIC

Posted , 8 users are following.

I got roped into going on a 7 day cruise (Carnival) with my wife and daughter and a friend.  I do CIC @4 times a day.  I've heard that cruise ships are notorious for spreading germs.  Also wonder about taking the hydrophilic catheters on board and what that entails.  

I was going to take at least two 30 count boxes of catheters with me in my luggage and, as I saw on another thread, it might be wise to take a copy of my prescription if they x-ray my suitcase and see the catheters inside.  I would think they would be familiar with this situation.  Anyone have experience or knowledge of this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'd take an extra box for good measure plus a couple of reusable plastic or red rubbers and some lube. I would keep the reusable ones and the lube with you as opposed to packing them. An rx is always a good idea in chance event you are questioned.

Jim

• Posted

I travel a lot, and have never experienced a problem packing catheters. They probably see them all the time. That being said, as Jim says, have a backup plan, and separate them in case you lose your luggage, etc. Have some in your carryon, and some in your checked bags.
  • Posted

Make sure any tube of lube you bring is TSA compliant in terns of size. If they want to be mean, they could confiscate a tube that's too big. Better to take two small ones if necessary.

• Posted

Dont know where your sailing from, but I have done 10 cruises from UK   (southampton ) yes it is a good idea to take prescription......but I have never has a problem with taking on board.   I take enough for 5/6 a day . I take them out of the boxes and distribute the among three cases (in the bottom).  Best of luck, enjoy the cruise !!
  • Posted

hi keith, Sounds like a fun trip.Do you have any natural voids? 4 times a day sounds great.I do 6 times a day,don't have any natural voids.Smart to take a prescription and at least 2 boxes of catheters.

frank,

• Posted

Sounds like a fun trip.4times a day.do you have any natural voids? Prescription like  a good idea.

frank,

• Posted

Yes, I have some natural voids but they're still pretty pitiful.  typically @ 20 - 40 cc.  I dont drink much water.  Yes, once I get filled up and have that uncomfortable feeling I can usually void a little if I have an urge.  Usually NV more when I get that full but I try to not let it get to the 350 - 400 level so its usually the smaller void when I get an urge.  I think I'm improving.  My last digital exam resulted in my Dr. saying that my prostate was "not that impressive" meaning it wasn't tremendously enlarged which was good news.  I have very little trouble getting an FR 12 hydrophilic inserted.  Thanks for the advice everyone.  7 day cruise to Mexican Riviera should be relaxing.  

• Posted

I guess what prompted me to mention this is that I've heard that cruise ships are notorious for harboring germs.  There's been a couple of incidents where many people on board got sick.  However, I doubt that had anything to do with the bathroom facilities in the rooms.  I use alcohol pads to wipe most of the meatus before inserting.  That is, unless I am able to NV a small amount in which case it seems useless because I'm dripping a little when I insert so it would probably wash away the alcohol anyhow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.