Traveling out of town and anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

Every time I have to go out of town for a birthday, wedding, funeral, vacation, etc.  my anxiety gets really bad.  Especially health anxiety.  I’m just wondering if this happens to anyone else or if anyone has thoughts on why?  Unfortunately for me we have to travel a lot!

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello!  I do not travel, but I understand!  I get anxiety driving 10 minutes from home. Dizzy, etc.  I also went through health anxiety pretty bad a few months ago.  If we left the house, I HAD to know how close hospitals were in case I “got sick” etc.  I think it is the “ what ifs” that anxiety tends to stir up.  
  • Posted

I have this same exact thing happen to me.  I never used to have this happen to me until menopause.  Mine gets super out of control.  It makes me mad that us ladies have to deal with this. We should be enjoying ourselves during this time of our lives.   
  • Posted

I usually have hot flashes and the panic feeling as I’m leaving.  And then while I’m there, the whole doom and gloom starts.  Maybe it’s bc I’m not at home doing my regular busy stuff around the house and I have too much time to think?  Idk what it is.  But I never was like this either. 
    • Posted

I’m much more comfortable at home too because I know ehat to expect.  I was always on the go with the kids, working, strong and not afraid of anything.  Then July 5, 2017 the peri monster came for me!  Never the same since.  We’ll all get through this mess! 😀

• Posted

Lou - "the peri monster"; exactly what happened to me! Mine hit June 11, 2018. I had slow building symptoms for the last 5 years but then I really started getting a LOT when the period schedule/flow started changing. I haven't been out of town yet; our family loves to travel. I describe myself as fragile since June - I feel like I am getting so much better since starting the natural progesterone cream. Making baby steps slowly but surely!

• Posted

You know the day too 😂. I hope the cream continues to help you!  Couple more weeks until my appointment with new gyno.  God, I hope she can help me 🙏

• Posted

I have this same exact thing happen to me.  I never used to have this happen to me until menopause.  Mine gets super out of control.  It makes me mad that us ladies have to deal with this. We should be enjoying ourselves during this time of our lives.   
    • Posted

Nettie - Like you this feeling is all new to me at 49 and hitting what looks like I'm going through the end of peri and slowing staring down the menopause hallway. I had no idea I would feel like a fragile person with all of these unsettling feelings and experiences. Today was the first time I felt mad about it - I've been having a pity party for myself for a while; but today was the first time I was mad that I'm in that 30 percent that get a lot of symptoms.  

• Posted

Finny2018, sorry you have to experience all of this.  I also get a lot of other symptoms.  My worst one is I feel like I’m going to fall over all the time.  My depth perception is way off all the time and my head feels full.  I don’t feel confident anymore about anything.  I used to be a VERY strong person.  I used to work full time but stopped working due to these awful symptoms.  The doom and gloom is awful to.  I feel like I’m inside a bottle looking out.  Let’s hope we all get through this sooner than later and feel somewhat like our old selves again.   We need a break!  
  • Posted

2chr2015 - I am sorry to hear about those experiences. sad I haven't had to travel as of yet; my symptoms hit really hard in June. I am adjusting to the swing of the school year with my kids. I am a stay at home mom - so thankfully all of my scary symptoms started during our summer break when I didn't have to go to meetings, events, etc. I've had a few to do this past week and it took so much out of me being around people when I am having Hot Flashes and all of the feelings/anxiety/doom & gloom/sadness plus all of the physical that come with mine. It was so hard but I did it. So...just hearing you mention a wedding or a funeral and picturing how we can "feel" at times that we have no control over. It's nice to know we can come here in this group to get support, ideas, wisdom and encouragement. I am sure they will share some ideas. I can so relate to what you are describing, 2cr2015. Take care. 

• Posted

Hi 2chr

Where are you going?

I also dread going far, like flying.

I need to see my mother so i have to prepare mentally.

Its so weird how we can not control the anxiety.

Today i have been paying attention to my symptoms, of anxiety while i drive to drop my son at his friends, (a girl wink  then head down the island to get coffee and do a quick cash of checks.

These simple things are just so simple, and yet at every turn im feeling the jolts of adrenaline, the doom..its so visceral its like i am dying or something, no kidding.

I talk to myself, like'What is wrong with you?" "there is nothing happening that should cause you to feel this way etc."

My appetite is also trash and if i didnt have to ever eat id be fine..thats a sign of a problem.

I truly think that my adrenaline is ruling this whole thing and i cant stop it.

Finny you said Fragile..thats exactly who ive become, perfect description.

Sorry for making this post about me,.

I hope you get through this and when you travel is there a way you can reach us?

I can be here and the other awesome women.

xoxoxo

• Posted

Thank you for all of the replies.  I am also a stay at home mom and bc of my husbands job, we move around.  So, we have to travel to see kids, parents, etc.  
  • Posted

I cancelled a trip to Europe and not making any plans until I’ve leveled out . It’s ebough stress trying to make a dinner plan .. couldn’t imagine a long trip right now . 
  • Posted

When I diagnosed a year ago at 41 I was almost suicidal and it was impossible to work or function daily. I had terrible anxiety and depression. My gyn gave me hrt after 3 months of suffering and I feel human again. The thought that someday I will have to stop taking hrt makes me feel too depressed...

• Posted

Thanks Vicky.  I had things like my son’s wedding.  My grand baby’s first bday.  Stuff like that.  My youngest plays travel ball and we travel for that too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.