Traveling with arthritis - Any tips?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there...

I have fairly recently diagnosed arthritis (6months now) Originally diagnosed as reactive arthritis but rheumatologists have also suggested it may well be psoriatic arthritis because of a high incidence of psoriasis and inflammatory diseases in my family, even though I don't have any skin issues at the moment.

So main reason for posting here was though that I am about to go on holiday and have a long flight to deal with first so wondered if anyone had any tips to share?? Has anyone flown long distance with arthritis and if so, how did your joints and swelling etc react?

I am currently on SULFASALAZINE (4months in) and prednisolene and consultant gave me a steroid injection this week in the hope it would keep me in better form while we are away (fingers crossed

I have 2 kids and am only 38 so am determined that this disease won't get in the way of our much much needed family break!

Should maybe also have said that at the moment the worse joints I have issues with are hands, fingers wrists and feet, along with the ongoing fatigue.

Thank you in advance 😀

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

I've had reactive arthritis for 13 months now, I'm on sulfasalazine, 6 tablets a day.

We went on holiday last month, I also have two little ones, just to France so not a long flight, my joints were fine, I'm affected similarly to you, hands, feet, knees.

However when in France I did start a big flare up that lasted about 3 weeks. I decided to detox to try to flush my system, as will try anything, more physio as well. I now feel pretty great. Lower limbs only the odd niggle, hands still swollen, but much more comfortable! I don't know if I'm suddenly having a break through or its the eating thing, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I hope your holiday goes well!!

• Posted

Hi Philippa...

Thank you so much for that. Re-assuring to hear someone in a similar boat to me who is seeing some improvement at last!

Can I ask, when you had your flare up in France did you have any other medication to take for it or did you see any docs whilst there?

Diet wise, when detoxing do you mind me asking what did you cut out?

Many thanks!

• Posted

Hi, I didn't take anything else in France, partly because I'm so stubborn, but did have some codeine with me in case. I'm also lucky to have a brother in law who is a doctor and he was on holiday with us.

I've been trying to go gluten and grain free, but found this very difficult so thought I would try a more scientific approach by detoxing first then methodically going through the food groups. However I felt so much better on the detox that's my fall back diet which I stick to most days, but if I fancy something I can have it! So I basically have fruit for breakfast, chicken salad or tuna with yogurt and fruit and then salad for tea. So I don't have any Red meat or carbs really. Have had some alcohol this weekend and do feel more achy. However there is no hard and fast rule with this and I think it's just finding something that helps relieve it for you!

Are you having physio? I have a fantastic physio who has tried various approaches and at the moment just gives me a massage really to make me feel more relaxed and that seems also to be really helping.

Hope that helps, it does really help to know there are other people out there, especially with children because you just can't stop and collasped! Although maybe that helps to keep us moving!

• Posted

Hi Philippa....

That's really useful. Thank you!! it had been suggested to me that I try adapting my diet but it is a huge commitment to go gluten and grain free so was kind of holding off on that till the summer holidays (I'm a teacher!) when I'd hopefully have more time and energy to spend in the kitchen!

Funnily enough due to warmer weather I had been eating a lot more salad based meals anyway and a lot less pasta or rice based meals and I did wonder if that might at least help me go in the right direction.

Physio wise I am still on the waiting list through the NHS sadly but have an appointment at the podiatrist when I come back from holiday so hopeful they might also be of some use too.

Definiely think there is something to be said for keeping moving!! When I was at my worst I kept working and GP reduced my hours but I found that as exhausting as it was, being at work for a few hours in the morning kept me going physically as stiffness, swelling and restricted movement would seem to loosen off as day went on. Mentally too, it kept me feeling slightly more normal, and as you say with kids at home, their needs are still there regardless of how we feel!

Thanks again Philippa. Really great that you are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and hope that it is the start of the end of all this for you. 👍

• Posted

Wear compression socks! They are the biggest help for me when traveling long distances. They keep the blodd flowing. I also drink only water and don't like to eat, sometimes fasting on long flights. This has help with my swelling and make for faster transition times. If you need to eat bring low inflamation causing foods. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.