Travelling abroad

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am travelling abroad in next few weeks. I have quite mild UC symptoms which are reasonably well controlled with Mezavant XL 2 tablets daily. My concern is if I flare on holiday what should I do? I thought I would see my GP and ask her to prescribe me extra Mezavant (when I was first diagnosed I took 4 daily and worked a treat) so I could up my dose if I run into problems but I wondered what others do when going on holiday? I have not been referred to IBD nurse and only see consultant every 6 months. Travelling to non EU country, I have disclosed my UC on travel insurance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you should be fine but no harm in taking extra precautions. Whenever I go abroad I take my normal dosage, I'm on x 6 tablets daily and have never had a flare up. Enjoy your holiday!
  • Posted

Hi MW, when I went to Spain for 3 months I took enough oral meds so I could double up in case of flare? I also took Mesalazine suppos that I could use if need be. Sure your doc will give you extra meds to take. Enjoy xx
  • Posted

Hi missey woo,

I don't know if what I've done will give you a glimmer of hope, I have UC with dosesd of melasalzine and prednisalone, and so I was locked into the eyernal cycle of drugs, of which I couldn't cope with. My solution to my UC problem, after much investigations was to drink water high in Silica/Silicon, it did resolve my UC so I have 'normal' as far as it goes stools. It would not hurt you to drink quite a lt of this wayer. IMHO it has done miracles for me. It might not work, but at least it wouldn't hurt. The drugs don't work for me, they seem to for you. Good luck.

• Posted

Moved from Scotland to England 10 years ago and find English water bleugh! So have drunk 2 litres of Volvic a day for last 10 years, was diagnosed with UC a year ago and still drink it (cos I like taste). Glad the water has worked for you but sadly made no difference to me. That's the thing with UC what works for one sadly does not work for another.
    • Posted

I'm sorry you haven't found your trigger sad Let's hope you can find a solution that suits you, have you tried eliminating certain things from your diet? It's a bit of a pain n the neck. The ASA drugs are so nasty for me, but when I took Prednisaone lost all hair on my arms! It's growing back now. You are so correct English water is revolting. 
  • Posted

My cousin applied to immigrate to Canada from Asia and got rejected. Is Canada making it more difficult for Asians to immigrate to Canada?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.