travelling after gastric band surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm booked in to have gastric band surgery soon.

The hospital is about 1.5 hours away from home.

The question is should I get a local hotel for the first night?

My husband would drive but is the journey too long straight after surgery?

Thoughts and advice please?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a 3 1/2 hour journey I slept most of the way, but it's all how you feel, you'll be very sleeply, hope all goes well šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘ x
    • Posted

Thanks so much Claire...it's so hard not knowing what to expect.

Are you having success with your band? I do hope so x x z

Thanks for responding. Great to speak to someone who's been there x x x

• Posted

Hi, I think you have to have something to eat and drink before you leave , but I thought you would of stayed over night? I did just left @7am, double check, which hospital are you going to? šŸ˜Š x
    • Posted

Thanks Claire. I will do that.

Do you mind me asking what time your surgery was?

Ā X X XĀ wink

• Posted

I was suppose to be first on the list, but had to sort my bloods out, so I went down around 2pm, but still went first thing I was still staying in over night, where you having it done? X
  • Posted

Hi Chivey,

If you're talking immediately after your surgery (as in you wake up from the generalĀ anesthesia), I would stay the night somewhere close to where the surgery will be done. If you're talking after that, travel is not a problem.

After my surgery, I was kept overnight for observations then went home by taxi. I was mostly awake but sore.

Tell your husband to mind the bumps in the road :-)

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply.

My surgery should be the first one in the afternoon between 12-1 I think.

Do you know how long you need to be monitored before you are sent home?

I'm guessing if I book a hotel my husband could stay there if they keep me in.

I think I will just want to be home for creature comforts...but it might be more sensible to stay?

Do you mind me asking how youve got on with your band?

I'm excited and nervous at the sane time!

Thanks so much for responding. It really is appreciated x

• Posted

Hi - I had my band fitted last Oct by THG Birmingham, My op was about 1.45pm, I was back in my room by 3.15 but I stayed in overnight. My hubby stayed in local hotel. I should of been out early but I couldnt wee for a few hours so until i did they wouldnt release me, I finally left about noon I think, I must admit I appreciated those extra hours of recovery. The journey home back to Bristol was ok but like Claire said the bumps in the road werent good!! Take a pillow to cushion your tummy from the seat belt and plenty of windease or Deflatine, I really suffered from trapped wind for quite a few weeks after.Ā  You start feeling 'normal' after a week or two, the wounds healed really well, they glued mine so no stitches to worry about.Ā  Best thing I ever did, no regretsĀ  - I've lost 2lb under 4 stone so far, actually one regret - I didnt do it sooner!!Ā  I wasnt nervous going in for the op, the excitement over rode any nerves!Ā  Good luck with it all, any questions, ask away, theres a couple of fab groups on facebook that are so informative and a huge support, I can get you in if you want - they're 'secret' groups, so only members can see posts etc - lots of people dont want everyone and their brother to know about it - which i fully understand!! When is your op?

Bye for now, Karen xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.