Travelling after TKR operation

Posted , 13 users are following.

Looking for answers about travelling by car,5 weeks after my TKR i have a holiday for a week booked in Wales,just a lovely little cottage on one level,would you think it will be ok to go,its about 1-1 and a half hours drive away..Thanks everyone x

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Are you driving?  If not, you I'll b fine, just go on back seat so you can stretch out and rest if you need to.  Enjoy yourself 😄
    • Posted

No Susan my partner is,good idea about the back seat thank you.Im so looking forward to it 
    • Posted

You will find a different environment willbe a distraction from pain I think.   At five weeks every day will be something new for you to be able to do.  You have no stairs to worry about and nice walks.  Do remember to exercise though every day, that is do important xx
  • Posted

I had a 300 mile trip away booked for just one week after my TKR, which I had to cancel - I thought I could manage it up until 3 days after the op. when reality hit home! We went at 6 weeks, & it was still a nightmare - I balanced the operated leg over the good leg, which eased a lot of the discomfort, & did what the consultant said, which was to stop & stretch, & walk around every hour. Yours is a much shorter journey, so you should be fine. Especially if you are waited on at the other end!!
  • Posted

I think you should be fine....  Try not to plan too mch, as I think you'll still feel very tired.and get tired faster.  Let your partner pamper you...
  • Posted

As you aren't driving, you should be fine!  Either sit in the back or have the passenger seat as far back as possible.  If possible, I would say have ashort break part way for a short walk so that you are not too stiff when you get there!

Have a good break!

• Posted

Like everyone says you should be fine and the change of environment will be a distraction from all the rest of the stuff. I'd say, apart from stretching out, stop and get out and walk around a bit a couple of times, or more if you are seizing up.
  • Posted

Stretch out and enjoy. As a side issue my insurance company would not cover me for three months for going abroad.
  • Posted

Yes! It will raise your spirits. But I recommend that someone else drives if you are on strong medication or if it was your right knee as it has only been 5 weeks. In Canada we are not allowed to drive for 6 weeks and our car insurance is void if we do and have an accident. Make sure you stop on the way if you need a break and find that you are getting sore in the cramped space of the car. Just walking around for a few minutes should do it. Cheers,

Mary

• Posted

I just read the suggestion to stretch out in the back seat. Do so but make sure you are in your seatbelt and not too sideways nor with your leg stuck between the front bucket seats, as it is very dangerous to you if you had an accident.
  • Posted

Definatley! You will be fine. I travelled after four weeks to oxford from Sheffield and was fine. I think its good to feel 'back to normal' have a lovely time.
  • Posted

At 5 wks I went for a checkup with the surgeon and asked if I can travel. He said you can do whatever you're comfortable with. Even flying. You should be fine. Tired no doubt but bring a couple of pillows for the back seat and get out every hr for a stretch. Enjoy your time. 
  • Posted

Im at five weeks now and as far as the car journey is concerned i would have no problem with that. The joirney home from the hospital was by car ( an hour and a half) at seven days but i did have the whole back seat to myself! The cottage may or may not be a good idea! More difficult to cope in a strange kitchen without your own things... Difficult to sleep at the best of times and will the bed be as comfortable as yours...? Not sure to what extent you will be able to enjoy the surroundings.. At five weeks im walking two kilometres a day so depending on your progress you should be a bit independent!. If you decide to go hope you have a lovely time! We deserve a bit of pleasure!
  • Posted

One suggestion. Try a couple of short trips trying out various seating arrangements for maximum comfort. At about the same time as your planned trip I had to attend a funeral with a drive of about the same distance with someone else driving. We were in a full size 4 door sedan and I was in the back seat with one other person. We had to stop 2-3 times so I could get out and move around a bit. I'm over 6'1" and rather long legged. I was very happy to have taken my pain pills with me. It was much more uncomfortable than I imagined it would be. Just plan well and give it the test run.
  • Posted

Dear Lou

The cotage soulds OK, but in my case I could not sit in some cars, becasue underneath my knee was very painful, could not take any preasure.  But we are all different, it could be OK for you.  Good luck anyway, hope you can go and you will have lovely time.   Grace xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.